Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

System restart while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never experienced this before in my total of 3,170 miles of driving. While driving, the music playback suddenly stopped, and then in a few seconds the screen went completely black. The system restarted itself in 20 seconds or so automatically. The car remained drivable, which is if course good. My FW is 2019.12.

Did anyone experience this? Does it warrant scheduling a service appointment?

Happened once? Nah, I wouldn't (and haven't) scheduled a service appointment over that. It it keeps happening daily, or perhaps even if it was weekly, that'd change the equation and probably should at least call Tech Support about it.

It seems that 2019.8.x introduced something that is causing it to happen more often. Maybe the haven't fixed that yet. You're pretty rare to have 2019.12? Or at least were yesterday, maybe that's changing?

I now have a suspicion that it did happen approximately at the same time when I have opened Tesla mobile app (I was in traffic).

I hope there is no simple way to cause DoS attack of some sort by accessing Tesla API. That would be really bad.

It’s happened to me 2 times and it was no big deal like you said, kept driving and it Re booted, if it was a common occurrence I would be concerned but 2 times in 21K miles over a one year period does not bother me, I consider it a computer on wheels (an awesome one) so with that it seems minimal

Reactions: SammichLover
...Did anyone experience this? Does it warrant scheduling a service appointment?

This is one of the things that has freaked people out and it serves as ammunition for Consumer Report to say that Tesla's cars are unreliable.

It has happened to every single brand new Tesla cars (3 cars in all so far) that I bought since 2012.

I would not worry about it as long as the propulsion is not affected and as long as a reboot would get the screen back.

Last edited:
This happens on occasion to all Teslas, not just Model 3. I would say normal = 2 times or less on any given firmware version.

Obviously any random reboot isn't "normal" but we're acknowledging that no software is perfect.

I’ve had a restart happen on X once while driving, after ~30,000 miles, and happened after I was using an earlier version of the web browser that was somewhat flakey.

For reference, my 2013 Ford Fusion restarted every ~500 miles where the screen indicated “performing scheduled maintenance” at 75mph... yeah right.

Blows my mind people consider this 'normal'. Its happened twice now in the last 2 weeks with my wife driving. It freaks her out and she's already a nervous driver, so this really doesn't help. Its happened to me once but when we 1st got the car so I figured it was something to do with the update I did...

Do the model S and model X dash/screens just go black and reboot out of the blue?