Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC now limited to speed limit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this Electrek article is correct, TACC is now limited to the speed limit on undivided roads. This limitation was implemented for auto-steer quite recently, but TACC is a different matter. Stop and Go traffic on undivided roads is exactly where TACC is very useful. My BMW just got a firmware update and still has no such limitation to its TACC.

Can anyone confirm that TACC is now limited just like auto-steer is limited?

Mine was not, as of yesterday. The only thing limiting me to the speed limit was the car in front of me, as it should work. I often set to the speed limit anyway on a 2-lane road because I'm going to eventually come up behind someone going that speed, and I'm not likely to pass them. Usually just not in that much of a hurry.

It's Autosteer that's now limited to the speed limit on undivided roads, not TACC.

Hoping they fix the database problem on highway 95 in Oregon. The way it is now you have to drive 15 mph below the speed limit to use Autopilot.

I'll check this later this afternoon, and post my results early this evening if no one has done so.

So...I received the update to 8.0.2.50.114 this morning. This afternoon I tested whether or not the information presented in the article listed above, about TACC now being limited to the speed limit on non-divided highways, was accurate. I am happy to report that it is not.

I was able to engage TACC and set it to a speed 10 MPH above the posted and recognized speed limit on an undivided highway. The car knew it was an undivided highway, because I then attempted to engage autosteer, at which point I received a warning about autosteer only being permitted up to the speed limit, and the car slowed down to the posted and recognized speed limit.

So...so far so good. For now, with the current firmware release, all is as it has been.

Last edited:
It's not bad reporting. Tesla confirmed it. It just didn't roll out to everyone yet.

It's not in the most current release that appears, based on Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App data, to have started pushing today.

In the article you write:

--
Before a recent update that is being gradually pushed to Tesla owners, the automaker allowed its Autopilot to be set at a higher speed than the speed limit on all roads where the driver assist system could be enabled, but now Tesla is pushing a new update to make Autopilot follow the rules of the road more closely.
--

That is simply not accurate. The limitation you described may be in future software releases, but the release that is currently being pushed--received by 55 people who posted on Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App just today, including me, does not contain the limitation.

Thank you. Glad to hear it was bad reporting and not bad product management!
It's not in the most current release that appears, based on Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App data, to have started pushing today.

In the article you write:

--
Before a recent update that is being gradually pushed to Tesla owners, the automaker allowed its Autopilot to be set at a higher speed than the speed limit on all roads where the driver assist system could be enabled, but now Tesla is pushing a new update to make Autopilot follow the rules of the road more closely.
--

That is simply not accurate. The limitation you described may be in future software releases, but the release that is currently being pushed--received by 55 people who posted on Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App just today, including me, does not contain the limitation.

That's simply not true. The update is being pushed since last week. I talked to several owners who have it right now. You can find plenty of them on this very forum and Tesla confirmed it.

That's simply not true. The update is being pushed since last week. I talked to several owners who have it right now. You can find plenty of them on this very forum and Tesla confirmed it.

Again, you are mistaken.

Take a look at the screen capture from the firmware upgrade tracker below:

Tracker.jpg

While a version that was being pushed a little yesterday or versions pushed last week --MAY-- have the limitations you write about, the most recent version--8.0.2.50.114--which only started being pushed today--does not.

Reactions: Mickie
I was able to engage TACC and set it to a speed 10 MPH above the posted and recognized speed limit on an undivided highway. The car knew it was an undivided highway, because I then attempted to engage autosteer, at which point I received a warning about autosteer only being permitted up to the speed limit, and the car slowed down to the posted and recognized speed limit.
If you've been following other threads on the forum, you will discover that the limitation is on undivided roads with autosteer engaged, just like you mentioned. This IS the limitation people are talking about. It used to allow you to go speed limit+5 with autosteer engaged. So, yet, the limitation IS still in place.

We are talking about TACC ( Traffic Aware Cruise Control ) here and not Autosteer. As it stands with latest software, Autosteer is posted speed limit restrained while TACC is not.
Right. Who is claiming TACC is restricted? The Electrek article mentions TACC but it does so purely in the context of having autosteer engaged as well, as it mentions the limit was changed from +5 to +0, which is the old speed limit with autosteer engaged on undivided roads.

If you've been following other threads on the forum, you will discover that the limitation is on undivided roads with autosteer engaged, just like you mentioned. This IS the limitation people are talking about. It used to allow you to go speed limit+5 with autosteer engaged. So, yet, the limitation IS still in place.

The limitation on autosteer being changed from five miles over the speed limit to the speed limit on undivided highways is old news. In this thread, and I believe others, the question was about basic TACC, without cruise control.

Right. Who is claiming TACC is restricted? The Electrek article mentions TACC but it does so purely in the context of having autosteer engaged as well, as it mentions the limit was changed from +5 to +0, which is the old speed limit with autosteer engaged on undivided roads.

Please reread the opening post in this thread. I'll include it here:

If this Electrek article is correct, TACC is now limited to the speed limit on undivided roads. This limitation was implemented for auto-steer quite recently, but TACC is a different matter. Stop and Go traffic on undivided roads is exactly where TACC is very useful. My BMW just got a firmware update and still has no such limitation to its TACC.

Can anyone confirm that TACC is now limited just like auto-steer is limited?

It is TACC without autosteer that the query was made about.

The limitation on autosteer being changed from five miles over the speed limit to the speed limit on undivided highways is old news. In this thread, and I believe others, the question was about basic TACC, without cruise control.
Please read my previous post. You are all reading the Electrek article incorrectly.

And, you do realize that their primary source is TMC? It makes little sense to then use their article as a source for speculation.

Is the misunderstanding highlighted by GimnAlyAirCar what you were arguing with me about last night, FredLambert? If so, you must not have read the post that started this thread, or my response when I included my findings, as if you had read those, you would have understood what we were talking about, and there would have been no argument.