Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC, resuming to previously set speed or current speed under ver 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Date:20151213. Software version:7.0

This had been driving me crazy for at least 47 days.
After an application of brakes the cruise disengages, as it should.
When resuming cruise there are two (at least) possibilities.

(i) Cruise resumes at the current speed

or

(ii) Cruise resumes at the previously set speed when cruise was last engaged.

I've experienced both results and a careful reading of the Model S owners manual on myteslamotors and the more up to date manual that can be read from the 17" touch screen both failed to untangle these. I'm not claiming this is undocumented, but I have been unable to find it.

Yesterday I finally understood.
To select resume cruise at current speed (option (i) above) push the cruise stalk up or down.
To select previous cruise speed (option (ii) above) momentarily pull the cruise stalk towards you once.

I may be stupid but I bet I'm not the only one who has had trouble working this out.

Now if only I could select dumb cruise control for use in town and suburb rather than traffic aware cruise that is far too keen to throw on the anchors when it is obviously not required (with the subsequent increased risk of being rear ended) my happiness would be complete.

Edit: I added the word 'momentarily'.

Last edited:
I have found that a quick pull towards me resumes the set speed. A pull and hold selects either current speed or speed limit. Sorry, can't remember right now! I never use it and found it by chance. But I have never had a problem with a quick pull at resuming set speed.

Seems that it always resumed to the previous set speed, which has often been annoying to me. Although, I don't know that I've tried the long pull to change the set speed. Seems too obvious to have not tried, but possible.

Dear slevit1md and CHG-ON perhaps you did not read my post to the pont where I say:

"Yesterday I finally understood.
To select resume cruise at current speed (option (i) above) push the cruise stalk up or down.
To select previous cruise speed (option (ii) above) pull the cruise stalk towards you once."

The problem is solved. The point of my post was to help others who may have been struggling with this problem, as indeed I had.
If I was unclear I apologise.

I was not invoking a long pull, that was always supposed to set cruise to the detected speed limit (at least under ver 6.2) but I found it to behave erratically so I soon gave up on the long pull.

Edit: I have edited the first post to make it clear I was not calling for a long pull. The push up or down action still works whether you stop at the first position or go all the way to the second position. The long pull does still select the cruise speed as the last detected speed limit sign but I still find it clumsy to use so I'll continue to ignore that particular function which seems to require the car to already be in active cruise before it will recognise the 4 second pull.

Best regards.

Last edited:
You are very welcome slevit1md. Like I said it took me 47 days to tumble to this. A Sydney tech flew in this morning to check my front seat belts and those of the other Model S cars in my state and I mentioned the poor documentation for the traffic aware cruise control. He said he'd push to get that improved. Interestingly he knew about how to drive the cruise stalk except he did not know about the long pull taking you to the last detected speed limit (just so long as you were already in cruise at some other speed).

I've been using the "push up/down trick" to enable the CC at the current speed since version 7.0 IIRC. I used to use that movement before with 6.X but it would resume at the previous set speed. So it's a good improvement. But yeah, it should be added to the manual.

one note, I've found that with the cruise disengaged, a long pull does absolutely nothing, does not engage cruise at all. With cruise on, a long pull sets to the current wild guess of a speed limit as displayed on the dash. HOWEVER, if the long pull is shortly after engaging cruise (a very normal use case) it can ALSO act as the second pull of a double pull to engage autosteer. I wish that it would ignore a long pull for the purpose of engaging autosteer, OR allow a long pull to both enable TACC and set it to the current speedlimit. This would drastically cut down on my accidental autosteer usage.
I would also like a way, other than a severe steering correction, to be able to disengage autosteer without disengaging TACC for exactly that reason.

Date:20151213. Software version:7.0

This had been driving me crazy for at least 47 days.
After an application of brakes the cruise disengages, as it should.
When resuming cruise there are two (at least) possibilities.

(i) Cruise resumes at the current speed

or

(ii) Cruise resumes at the previously set speed when cruise was last engaged.

I've experienced both results and a careful reading of the Model S owners manual on myteslamotors and the more up to date manual that can be read from the 17" touch screen both failed to untangle these. I'm not claiming this is undocumented, but I have been unable to find it.

Yesterday I finally understood.
To select previous cruise speed (option (ii) above) momentarily pull the cruise stalk towards you once.

You may also have missed that you can disengage TACC/Autopilot by pressing the button on the end of the TACC stalk, thus avoiding use of the brake pedal and confusing drivers behind with brake lights.

The problem I have with the TACC stalk is that the result of a 'long pull' action is modal, which any good user interface designer will tell you is almost always a bad idea.

Mode1: When TACC is engaged, a long pull changes the set speed to the current speed-limit-plus-offset. A short pull does nothing.

Mode2: When TACC is disengaged, a long pull engages TACC at the previous set speed, without reference to the current speed limit. I.e., it has the same result as a short pull in this mode.

In Mode 2, if you want to engage TACC at the current speed-limit-plus-offset, you first have to use a short pull (to resume the previous set speed) or an up-or-down action (to engage TACC at the current vehicle speed) before you use the long pull to change the set speed. Plus, if you do a long pull too quickly after a short pull, you'll have also engaged Autosteer.

I have been unable to train myself to engage TACC only with an up-or-down action, and regularly find that the car is accelerating to a higher speed than desired after turning from a high-speed-limit road to a low-speed-limit road. That's because after braking (with TACC disengaged) and making the turn, I will give a long pull on the stalk, expecting TACC to change the set speed to match the new speed limit (as it would if TACC were engaged), and instead having TACC accelerate to the previous, higher set speed, as if I'd given the stalk a short pull. It's maddening: I'm sitting there pulling the stalk back and the car continues to accelerate. I've had almost a full year to get used to the way TACC works, and it still gets me. And it still ticks me off, because it didn't have to be implemented this way.

Mode2: When TACC is disengaged, a long pull engages TACC at the previous set speed, without reference to the current speed limit. I.e., it has the same result as a short pull in this mode.
Not on my car it doesn't. In my car when TACC is disengaged a long pull does absolutely nothing at all. A short pull engages TACC. What I want it to do is long pull engage at current speed limit, short pull engage at last set speed. But that's not what happens.

Plus, if you do a long pull too quickly after a short pull, you'll have also engaged Autosteer.
And that's the part that drives me nuts, I sometimes want TACC without autosteer, but I pull it towards me and it engages at the wrong speed, so I quickly long pull it to set the speed, and it also engages autosteer, which should never happen on a long pull only on 2 short pulls.

Ideal setup:

from TACC off:
Short pull - resume at previous speed, if no previous speed use current speed
long pull - engage at speedlimit+offset, if no detected speed limit use current speed (no offset)

While starting TACC:
2nd pull (Short) - engage autosteer
2nd pull (long) - engage at speedlimit+offset (long pulls should never be interpreted as engage autosteer)

And another couple:
- Pick either the button on the end of the stalk, or pushing the stalk away from you as being disengage and remember the speed, set the other one to forget the set speed, I don't need two different ways to do the same thing.
- Give me a way to disengage autosteer without disengaging TACC or swerving abruptly. (long push on the button? I dunno, I'm sure someone can come up with a good interface)

I experienced something else.

Keeping the same options as the original poster: I get both behaviours mixed.

I have to commute a highway, but the last 30 kms it has traffic lights. I cruise at 130 kph and brake when coming near to the traffic lights where a speed limit of 90 is shown. After the lights I want to resume to 130, but even a short pull will then select the current speed. I can clearly see that the symbol where you would expect to still see the 130 kph is gone and just shows the grey TACC symbol.

I tried to find if certain behaviour was triggering this, but until now it seems random, because on other moments I can resume to 130 kph.

Anybody any idea?

I experienced something else.

Keeping the same options as the original poster: I get both behaviours mixed.

I have to commute a highway, but the last 30 kms it has traffic lights. I cruise at 130 kph and brake when coming near to the traffic lights where a speed limit of 90 is shown. After the lights I want to resume to 130, but even a short pull will then select the current speed. I can clearly see that the symbol where you would expect to still see the 130 kph is gone and just shows the grey TACC symbol.

I tried to find if certain behaviour was triggering this, but until now it seems random, because on other moments I can resume to 130 kph.

Anybody any idea?
That's another part of the frustration, sometimes it remembers your previous set speed, other times it has no clue. I haven't figured out why it chooses one mode or the other.

That's another part of the frustration, sometimes it remembers your previous set speed, other times it has no clue. I haven't figured out why it chooses one mode or the other.

Found it: it is like I said. When the TACC registers a lower speed limit while having a higher speed set to resume to (thus at the moment you pass the new speed limit your TACC is not actively cruising) then it deletes the set speed.

The problem I have with the TACC stalk is that the result of a 'long pull' action is modal, which any good user interface designer will tell you is almost always a bad idea.

Mode1: When TACC is engaged, a long pull changes the set speed to the current speed-limit-plus-offset. A short pull does nothing.

+1! I discovered this as well, and it's very annoying. It's had to believe this was an actual design choice - I cannot imagine any advantage to making it work that way. However, the manual does say "Once you've initially set a cruising speed, you can adjust the speed to cruise at the speed limit that is currently being determined by Speed Assist...", so maybe they did it on purpose. Either way, it's not intuitive.

Also, why is there no active way to cancel your set speed? It seems like pressing the button on the end of the cruise control stalk should do that, but it doesn't. The natural thing to do to engage auto-steer is to double-pull, but that resumes your previous set speed which may be wildly inappropriate.

In Mode 2, if you want to engage TACC at the current speed-limit-plus-offset, you first have to use a short pull (to resume the previous set speed) or an up-or-down action (to engage TACC at the current vehicle speed) before you use the long pull to change the set speed. Plus, if you do a long pull too quickly after a short pull, you'll have also engaged Autosteer.

I have been unable to train myself to engage TACC only with an up-or-down action, and regularly find that the car is accelerating to a higher speed than desired after turning from a high-speed-limit road to a low-speed-limit road. That's because after braking (with TACC disengaged) and making the turn, I will give a long pull on the stalk, expecting TACC to change the set speed to match the new speed limit (as it would if TACC were engaged), and instead having TACC accelerate to the previous, higher set speed, as if I'd given the stalk a short pull. It's maddening: I'm sitting there pulling the stalk back and the car continues to accelerate. I've had almost a full year to get used to the way TACC works, and it still gets me. And it still ticks me off, because it didn't have to be implemented this way.

I agree it seems poorly thought out, almost like the engineers that work this stuff out don't actually drive the car daily. IMHO hitting the button should toggle between resume previous speed, or cancel. Nothing else should resume. Up, down, pull should not all engage. Only pull should engage. I find myself constantly resuming speed when I just wanted to engage. 80 in a 40? 28 at 80 mph? Awesome.. How does it make sense to equate accel/decel with resume? It doesn't.

Secondary problem is forgetting autosteer isn't on. Several times now. Autosteer should re-engage if you remove you hands from the wheel for more than a second after enabling.