Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tagged on the Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it is a good idea to advertise that you were using Autopilot when involved in an accident, even it it was not your fault. This can only fuel speculation that you may not have been paying full attention, etc.A slick lawyer may be able to exploit this.
I had leg surgery some years ago. After weeks of recovery, I asked the doctor if I could drive while still wearing the brace. He said yes but be careful. If I were in an accident, he said, a slick lawyer might use the brace to gain a courtroom advantage for his/her client. That's when I put a camera in the car, to (hopefully) protect me in case of accident that was not my fault.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
The only thing would have been an auto lane change, and I'm not sure how Tesla's handle that right now for accident avoidance.

It will move as has been shown in other videos on this site, including one currently on page 1. But if you watch the video there is a car on both sides. It has nowhere to move. AP made the right call, if it moved over and hits the car in the right lane, it is now the Teslas fault.

Reactions: ZoomDoggie
so riddle me this, everyone who says you cannot drive in someones blilnd spot. How do you drive in Bumper to Bumper traffic? Last time I checked people change lanes there also.

That's true, but everything is happening much slower and people seem to be more aware that they'll have someone in their blind spot (or more accurately "the spot in which they want to change lanes") when it's bumper to bumper. It's much easier to pick up on visual cues by watching the driver and the car to see if they're trying to change lanes.

some states and cities have laws about honking (including the town I live in). So that could be a problematic feature that they cannot add because of regulations.

Surprised by that. Is there a jurisdiction where honking is prohibited even when it is facilitating safe driving? Certainly I can see the risk of false alarms from Tesla's perspective, but if it works properly, I am not aware of anywhere you are not allowed to use your horn for safety.

I guess I am a proponent of Autohonk. But hopefully they'll add a bunch of other improvements to Autosteer & TACC before before they come out of beta. Honking is kind of a last resort.

Parent-Teen Training Guide - Driving Skills
Tell your teen to avoid driving in the blind spot of other drivers. The other driver may not see your teen's vehicle and could change lanes, causing a collision.
blindspot.gif

Well, people here often do say that AP drives like a teenager. Hopefully Tesla will do some teen training on driving skills over the summer. It would be good for them to teach the vehicle to drive smoothly when in AP as well.

Of note, the California DMV defines blind spots as the spots which are visible using the properly adjusted side mirrors. That does make sense. They're blind spots - you have to use your mirrors to see people there!

you honestly have no way of knowing that unless the user posts the side cam. The car was there and moved out of view of the front camera, but how do you know they are not in the Teslas blind spot or parallel? That is a fairly large assumption.

Umm...side cams are posted. However, it would have been difficult to avoid hitting the person on the right without acceleration or deceleration as well, if the Tesla had tried to move.

I would have decelerated, but that silver car (on the right) was also pretty intent on changing lanes. However, it only actually changed lanes after the collision (and they were signaling, which increases the probability that they were paying attention - but the pre-existing body damage is a negative factor on potential driver capacity for vigilance). Pretty sure (hopefully!) the big rig driver behind was covering the brake as he watched this cluster unfold in front of him. (You can actually see the big rig immediately drop WAY back...so he was paying attention.)

Unfortunately, clearly neither the pickup driver nor the Tesla driver was paying attention, so there was no opportunity for action. Pickup's fault of course.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Joshan
It is a slippery slope in a way. I want the Tesla to avoid accidents any time it can, of course as does everyone. However, I would be PISSED if it took an accident that was going to be someone elses fault and made it my fault by the actions it took.

Which could potentially happen in this case if it moves to the right and hits that car.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
some states and cities have laws about honking (including the town I live in). So that could be a problematic feature that they cannot add because of regulations. Kind of like windows rolling up from the app, and other things people have suggested.

That's an easy hurdle - Tesla already has a lot of features that are geotagged, like the speed limiter on Autosteer. If there are places honking isn't allowed even in critical accident situations, Tesla could geofence them out of Autohonk.