Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking a Trip, Should I leave Tesla plugged in at a certain percentage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range Mode shouldn't have much (if any) impact while the car is parked. The energy saving mode in the Display settings will have an impact, putting the car in sleep mode during the day, reducing energy usage.

The car will lose a little charge each day (more if sleep mode isn't enabled during the day). After a few days, the charger will kick in and charge back up to the set charge level.

As long as you keep the charge level between 10-90%, it probably won't matter what charge level you set.

If we leave our 2nd Tesla in the garage while we're gone for a long vacation, we'll likely leave it at 90% and plugged in - and not worry about it.

Our primary car (now an S 100D) will be put into maximum energy saver mode to stretch the charge at the airport. We might charge to 100% to give us a little more cushion. But even at 90%, the S 100D starts with 307 miles of range - which should be plenty of charge to handle a round trip airport trip and vampire drain over several weeks.

The most important thing is leaving it plugged in when you can. For long term storage it's best to set charge at 50%, but for just a week or two there's no reason to change whatever you normally keep your charge set at (80 or 90%).

The most important thing is leaving it plugged in when you can. For long term storage it's best to set charge at 50%, but for just a week or two there's no reason to change whatever you normally keep your charge set at (80 or 90%).

Why is it best to leave it plugged in?Just to combat vampire drain, or is there another reason? If you've got ~150 miles of range and know you won't be driving more than 20 miles the next day is there any reason to plug it in overnight?

Why is it best to leave it plugged in?Just to combat vampire drain, or is there another reason? If you've got ~150 miles of range and know you won't be driving more than 20 miles the next day is there any reason to plug it in overnight?
Because Tesla says so:
A connected Model S is a happy Model S
These cards used to be given out with the cars at delivery. I don't know why they stopped doing so, it would save a lot of questions. Now they depend on owners to RTFM. The battery section says this in bold print. So they must think it's important.

Because Tesla says so:
A connected Model S is a happy Model S
These cards used to be given out with the cars at delivery. I don't know why they stopped doing so, it would save a lot of questions. Now they depend on owners to RTFM. The battery section says this in bold print. So they must think it's important.

Thanks - they didn't give me a card like that. I'd still like them to provide a more detailed reason.

Set the charge limit to 50% and leave it plugged in.

The reason they say that is they had some problems with Roadsters being left unplugged and bricking. If it gets too hot or too cold the car will turn on to heat or cool itself. It's a good idea to have the car plugged in so it can replenish itself if this happens. Model S is much better about bricking than the Roadster but the bottom line is that if you can plug it in, plug it in. Why wouldn't you do so?

Set the charge limit to 50% and leave it plugged in.

The reason they say that is they had some problems with Roadsters being left unplugged and bricking. If it gets too hot or too cold the car will turn on to heat or cool itself. It's a good idea to have the car plugged in so it can replenish itself if this happens. Model S is much better about bricking than the Roadster but the bottom line is that if you can plug it in, plug it in. Why wouldn't you do so?

No reason not to, if you can. Your explanation makes sense - thanks.

As others have said, good - leave it plugged in; better - set charge rate to 50%; best - charge to 50% before leaving (vs a normal charge to 80-90% and letting the vampire slowly draw it down to 50%).

That said, for a week, don't worry about it. Earlier this winter, I went away for a week before I had home charging set up. I charged to ~88% before leaving, and left the car parked in the driveway for a week. We had a couple of nights in the single digits, and the battery was in the low 70% range when I got home.

Don't keep waking it with the app to check on it, you'll just increase the drain. Leave it alone and let it nap all week.

I'd add (and apologies if I missed someone else say this), I recommend if you usually have the "always connected" switch on, turn it off when you go out of town. No reason to leave it on, plus it'll just keep using charge & recharging more than it needs to when you're not there. Worst case, if there's a problem charging...ugh. ;-)

So now this thread has come full circle. In my post above (#6) I said Tesla depends on owners to RTFM, and that the battery section says to leave it plugged in in bold print. (Actually it's in ALL CAPS rather than bold print, I hadn't looked at it in a while. Either way it means Tesla thinks it's important).