Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Talking on the phone (in hand/headphones) mutes streaming audio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got our Model 3 on Monday and have noticed an odd issue with phone calls. Obviously, the phone is connected to Bluetooth, but when I take or make a phone call without using the car, any streaming music stops playing. Anyone else experiencing this?

More details:
- Phone is connected via BT
- Slacker is playing audio
- A call comes in or I make a call
- Audio (music) stops and phone takes over
- Switch the phone to not pump the audio through the car
- Music stays muted/paused until I hang up the phone

Interesting. I actually find it a tad annoying. My use case: two kids in the backseat listening to “if you’re happy and you know it” on repeat. Meanwhile, I’m on the phone having an adult conversation. In my ICE car, the music would continue to play, and I could fade it to the rear speakers only so that my conversation isn’t impaired.

There’s really no reason I can think of to force pause/mute the music if I’m not utilizing the car’s audio for a phone call. Dah well. Maybe it’s just something I’ll have to get used to.

*Yes, I realize I can simply disable Bluetooth, but that’s beside the point.

I have a MS that was recently updated to 2018.21.9. I noticed that, when my iPhone is connected via BT, any phone chime or notification will take over the speakers and pause whatever music I’m streaming through Slacker.

I also have a new, separate issue where every other song I’m streaming through Slacker will stop after about a minute and seguay into a podcast. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Just got our Model 3 on Monday and have noticed an odd issue with phone calls. Obviously, the phone is connected to Bluetooth, but when I take or make a phone call without using the car, any streaming music stops playing. Anyone else experiencing this?

More details:
- Phone is connected via BT
- Slacker is playing audio
- A call comes in or I make a call
- Audio (music) stops and phone takes over
- Switch the phone to not pump the audio through the car
- Music stays muted/paused until I hang up the phone

Thank goodness the car does this. The first time a call came in I was happy that I didn’t have to turn down the volume.

Reactions: rpiotro
Thank goodness the car does this. The first time a call came in I was happy that I didn’t have to turn down the volume.
I guess it’s just a personal preference thing then. It makes complete sense to me to mute the radio if I’m talking through the car, but it’s a complete annoyance to me to shut off the music if the phone is in my hand/to my ear. Why should the other people in the car have to suffer because I’m on the phone?

Or if my wife is driving, and I’m in the passenger seat - what sense does it make that she has to stop listening to the radio because I get a phone call?

Maybe I’m just being a curmudgeon...

I guess it’s just a personal preference thing then. It makes complete sense to me to mute the radio if I’m talking through the car, but it’s a complete annoyance to me to shut off the music if the phone is in my hand/to my ear. Why should the other people in the car have to suffer because I’m on the phone?

Or if my wife is driving, and I’m in the passenger seat - what sense does it make that she has to stop listening to the radio because I get a phone call?

Rather than being a curmudgeon maybe it’s just different strokes for different folks. I’m too polite. If I get a call and there are others in the car, it is going to be a short call...”what’s up, is it urgent...let me call you back at x:xx.” If it is a business call I likely do not want to or cannot let others hear even my side of the discussion. Additionally for personal or business calls, it is unlikely the passengers want to hear thr conversation. The last point is I like to focus so the idea of a call going even with music in the background is annoying and with a headset I would turn the volume down so much that the passengers couldn’t enjoy the music or sound anyway.

I think your use case is what most would call unique (or something less polite).

I don’t know how unique it is, but it’s definitely a matter of preference. I’d at least like the option to not have that happen. Since I often travel with my kids in the backseat, I don’t want to hear “kids” music for my entire ride. At the same time, they benefit by having something to entertain them along the way. I’d appreciate having an adult conversation while fading kidz bop to the rear of the vehicle.

And just today, my wife (in the passenger seat) got a call from her mother, and it interrupted the music. I didn’t care what they were talking about, and a little background music wouldn’t have hurt their conversation one bit. Impolite? Maybe. But miss the option of being rude in my own car lol.

I could be in the minority, but I really don’t think it’s all too uncommon - at least not among my circle of friends/family. Even my wife said today, “why did the music shut off?”

Dah well. It’s a minor inconvenience that I’ll have to adjust to.

I listen to classical music mostly and I think it's awesome to be able to listen to music while your on the phone. Of course the music would be lowered volume and should be controlled seperate from the volume of the phone call so 2 volume knobs preferred

Interesting. I actually find it a tad annoying. My use case: two kids in the backseat listening to “if you’re happy and you know it” on repeat. Meanwhile, I’m on the phone having an adult conversation. In my ICE car, the music would continue to play, and I could fade it to the rear speakers only so that my conversation isn’t impaired.

There’s really no reason I can think of to force pause/mute the music if I’m not utilizing the car’s audio for a phone call. Dah well. Maybe it’s just something I’ll have to get used to.

*Yes, I realize I can simply disable Bluetooth, but that’s beside the point.
I agree with you. I hate that the music turns off just because I’m on my phone. It also silences my notifications on WhatsApp. I like to listen to music even if I am on the phone, especially if I have passengers or just waiting for the car to charge. I can lower the volume or turn it of manually if needed, but hate it does it automatically without a choice.

Most places, holding the phone while driving is illegal. It's definitely an opportunity for distracted driving. I'm guessing the Tesla engineers never considered it a valid use case.

Reactions: rpiotro
I could be in the minority, but I really don’t think it’s all too uncommon - at least not among my circle of friends/family. Even my wife said today, “why did the music shut off?”

Dah well. It’s a minor inconvenience that I’ll have to adjust to.
I think you are in the minority. A tiny minority I'd bet. Depending on the source it may pause rather than just mute.