Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tall People Only: Model 3 Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been said that tall people have to shop for cars like other people shop for suits. It is not easy to find the fit and an inch can make a big difference. Below is the information and dimensions that all of the car reviewers have so far withheld:

It is all good news! The three is actually better than the S when it comes to fitting my 6’-4” 210 lb, 36” inseam frame in comfortably, and I am in heaven. Although the seat cushion is a little shorter than I would like the back cushion is tall enough and very well shaped.

Significantly, the sun visor slides completely to the door frame jamb to cover the dreaded afternoon glare spot when you have the seat back. This is not only a comfort but a safety issue and hopefully the S will follow suit.

Headroom is superior to any sedan that I have been in. This is because the structural rail between the skylight and the doors is very thin. 5 1/4” wide from door glass to skylight glass in the M3 as opposed to 9 1/2“ wide in the “S”. This means that there is clear space to the side of your head as well as directly overhead. With the seat down to the lowest spot I have 5” of clear space from the top of my head to the glass roof. (Note: get only the glass roof version). A 6’-6” friend had abundant head room. In the rear seat my head is close to the glass ( 3/4” clear) but does not touch.

The other critical dimension of course is the steering reach since that determines the real leg room.

The “S”, which is comfortable for me is “29 1/2“ from accelerator pedal the the center bottom of a fully expended steering wheel. The M3 is 29”. Slightly less than the S but more than most cars. No need for gorilla arms.

Lastly, if you have fairly decent posture, a head rest can poke your upper spine, even if it is fully extended. This happens to me in the S even though I removed padding off of the bottom edge of the headrest. Very irritating while driving. I worried that the fixed head rest in the M3 would be worse. In fact, it is significantly better (higher). The bottom of the head rest bump out clears the top of my spine by 3/4” or so.

The steering wheel is smaller but meaty and good for large hands.

Other impressions:

Exterior looks pretty much like photos. Unremarkable rear, beautiful lines (although not in the same class as the “S”) with an original and engaging front end.

The interior however is much richer and more intimate than the photos. In fact I think it is the most wonderful interior that I have seen in a car (and I have seen a lot of cars!) It feels solid and substantial but extraordinarily elegant and even seductive in a slightly feminine way. The cloth headliner is very up scale. The M3 shows how superficial the fidgety bling currently associated with automobile “luxury” really is. If you are into rolex watches, gucci bags and design as decoration you may hate it.

There are a couple of things that will take getting used to for me . The door handles, which feel wonderful to the touch, have to be approached a certain way. After many decades of looking down to see how fast you are going, looking right is going to take new muscle memory. The seats are beautiful, comfortable and environmentally responsible but I personally miss the sensual smell and feel of thick well stitched leather. Delicate piano black on the console was an unfortunate choice. Touch screen is a little better organized but still too many needlessly tiny buttons! Let's hope the HVAC system at least will soon have voice control.

Visibility is very good forward and to the sides, OK to the rear and not good at the rear three quarters.

After lowering the air pressure to the 45 lbs listed on the door I am fine with the suspension although it does not damp down road imperfections as well as the the air suspension of the “S”. It drives and handles as well as the reviews say.

All in all, this car sets a standard beyond anything on the road.

My humble recommendation: In the long term it would probably be cheaper for our government to hand these things out everyone for free rather than pay for all of the petroleum subsidies, military costs of protecting oil, environmental damage and astronomical health costs associated with petroleum transportation.

People would be happier too.

It has been said that tall people have to shop for cars like other people shop for suits. It is not easy to find the fit and an inch can make a big difference. Below is the information and dimensions that all of the car reviewers have so far withheld:

It is all good news! The three is actually better than the S when it comes to fitting my 6’-4” 210 lb, 36” inseam frame in comfortably, and I am in heaven. Although the seat cushion is a little shorter than I would like the back cushion is tall enough and very well shaped.

Significantly, the sun visor slides completely to the door frame jamb to cover the dreaded afternoon glare spot when you have the seat back. This is not only a comfort but a safety issue and hopefully the S will follow suit.

Headroom is superior to any sedan that I have been in. This is because the structural rail between the skylight and the doors is very thin. 5 1/4” wide from door glass to skylight glass in the M3 as opposed to 9 1/2“ wide in the “S”. This means that there is clear space to the side of your head as well as directly overhead. With the seat down to the lowest spot I have 5” of clear space from the top of my head to the glass roof. (Note: get only the glass roof version). A 6’-6” friend had abundant head room. In the rear seat my head is close to the glass ( 3/4” clear) but does not touch.

The other critical dimension of course is the steering reach since that determines the real leg room.

The “S”, which is comfortable for me is “29 1/2“ from accelerator pedal the the center bottom of a fully expended steering wheel. The M3 is 29”. Slightly less than the S but more than most cars. No need for gorilla arms.

Lastly, if you have fairly decent posture, a head rest can poke your upper spine, even if it is fully extended. This happens to me in the S even though I removed padding off of the bottom edge of the headrest. Very irritating while driving. I worried that the fixed head rest in the M3 would be worse. In fact, it is significantly better (higher). The bottom of the head rest bump out clears the top of my spine by 3/4” or so.

Other impressions:

Exterior looks pretty much like photos. Unremarkable rear, beautiful lines (although not in the same class as the “S”) with an original and engaging front end.

The interior however is much richer and more intimate than the photos. In fact I think it is the most wonderful interior that I have seen in a car (and I have seen a lot of cars!) It feels solid and substantial but extraordinarily elegant and even seductive in a slightly feminine way. The cloth headliner is very up scale. The M3 shows how superficial the fidgety bling currently associated with automobile “luxury” really is. If you are into rolex watches, gucci bags and design as decoration you may hate it.

There are a couple of things that will take getting used to for me . The door handles, which feel wonderful to the touch, have to be approached a certain way. After many decades of looking down to see how fast you are going, looking right is going to take new muscle memory. The seats are beautiful, comfortable and environmentally responsible but I personally miss the sensual smell and feel of thick well stitched leather. Delicate piano black on the console was an unfortunate choice. Touch screen is a little better organized but still too many needlessly tiny buttons! Let's hope the HVAC system at least will soon have voice control.

Visibility is very good forward and to the sides, OK to the rear and not good at the rear three quarters.

After lowering the air pressure to the 45 lbs listed on the door I am fine with the suspension although it does not damp down road imperfections as well as the the air suspension of the “S”. It drives and handles as well as the reviews say.

My humble recommendation: In the long term it would probably be cheaper for our government to hand these things out everyone for free rather than pay for all of the petroleum subsidies, military costs of protecting oil, environmental damage and astronomical health costs associated with petroleum transportation.

Thanks for this, I was worried about the headrest hitting my spine as I sit with good posture and I'm 6'2" and have a very long torso. It's always been a problem for me with every car I've owned.

Nice report, the M3 can accommodate a wide range of people comfortably .

I've only been in an S once, though a big car, once seated I found the immediate area a bit "tight". The M3 is just a lot more open and comfortable for me. My only issue is rear seat headroom, I need two more inches to sit up totally straight (6'4", 220lb, long torso shorter legged).

Here's a 6'10" gentleman trying it on for size (FF to 11:00 mark):

Reactions: Nvbob and dragonxt
Thanks for the report! A really nice read!

One thing though. The S is MUCH roomier with the standard glass roof vs. the Panoramic retractable roof. The glass roof also got a lot more head room when you flip your head sideways (both in front and back seat). I assume that your comparison was made with the Panoramic Roof on the S where head space is much more restricted. The 3 still got lot's of space for headroom so don't get me wrong, but the difference is not as big if you compare with similar roof structure since the 3 roof is not possible to open.

• Informative
Reactions: mdevp
FYI, I was at the DC store trying to get in and out. I Kept hitting the steering wheel with my knees. A taller guy than I figured out that you want to keep the Wheel column extended out for easy exit and entry. The programmed Easy Exit pulls it in making entry difficult. I have 36" legs also. As you can see my knee doesn't hit Screen or Console.

Love the headroom

model 3 dash.JPG

Reactions: Shygar
Tall people unite!!

Sat in one and was shocked how spacious it was and ease of entry and exit compared to my S. This will be my wife's car but she makes me drive everywhere and I am giddy with getting to enjoy it.

I also sat in the back with 2 kids and was amazed at the leg room and headroom again compared to my S. The bench was rather low but a small sacrifice for great leg and head room.

Great design and crazy to how much more practical it will be for our family of 4 over our S on the inside.

What about the rear seats? I saw Bjorn's Model 3 review the other day, and although he is only 5'8", he said he wasn't very comfortable sitting back there due to the low height of the rear seats/lack of thigh support.

Bjorn is....well, bjorn. Not a fan at all and his videos are cringeworthy to watch imo.

I am 6'3 and i was blown away by how much leg room I had. The bench is pretty low but it isnt a deal breaker and is actually very comfortable for a backseat for a mid size sedan.

I'm 6'8" (36 inseam) and sat in @outdoors when he had a show and tell in Ann Arbor. Found the headroom was good (better than X due to roof crossbar location), and the seat was more comfortable than the X (headrest on X digs into shoulder blades). Still have the forward visibility issue in regards to intersection lights due to where the windshield ends (but might have been better than the S). I fit in back seat with a slight slouch, would not recommend for long trips, but survivable for short jaunts.
Seat support in the front felt okay due to adjustability, but not sure on long term tail bone happiness.

Back was good. A lot more than my Volt. Really more than most cars back seats. Decepitive how much room was in car especially the head room with the glass roof.

Adjusted for my driving style, i needed it up one notch, when I moved to the rear. When a lady was up front I had plenty of leg room.

Head room was fine.

Great report.

I'm 6'2" and found the front and back seats to have more than enough room for me. The back seat can also handle two rear-facing car seats with me sitting mostly comfortably in the front (Nuna Rava & Nuna Pipa - I was able to bring our bigger Rava and Mixx stroller for fit evaluation when I got to experience one). The glass roof, especially in the back, is probably the reason 6+footers can fit so well.

IMO, this car seemed to have just as much or more passenger space compared to the Rav4, Q5, RDX, and CR-V my wife has made us test drive.

Last edited:
I am 6’2” and don’t particularly like how my legs are stretched out. Perhaps the seat sits somewhat lower than what I’d choose. But the headroom is great and it’s easier to enter/exit than my S with its sloping roofline.
I have this problem in my GT-R. I have to lower the seat all the way down so my head doesn't hit the ceiling. Doing this, my legs feel like they are stretched when using the dead pedal, since my leg doesn't rest directly on the seat. I haven't had enough time in the Model 3 to see this, but hoping with the higher headroom that it will be fine.

I have this problem in my GT-R. I have to lower the seat all the way down so my head doesn't hit the ceiling. Doing this, my legs feel like they are stretched when using the dead pedal, since my leg doesn't rest directly on the seat. I haven't had enough time in the Model 3 to see this, but hoping with the higher headroom that it will be fine.
Didn’t mean to overstate what to me is a minor complaint. As for your question about the screen, I have had no issues bumping it.

What I have done on occasion is hit both pedals with my size 12.5 tennis shoes. The car gives a stern audible and visual warning. I also have done this with the older model S service loaners, but don’t ever do it in my refresh 2016 S. I concluded Tesla widened the pedal gap on the newer S cars. Obviously I will have to watch this lest I attempt to stop and instead continue forward in my 3.

You will love the car. Just make sure you run your hands over the surfaces to pick up fit and finish issues. I missed a few in the excitement of taking delivery. Of course, Tesla addressed them later, even though I initially missed them.

• Informative
I'm 6'3" and front seat seems great though I've only sat in at the Tesla store. I have a long torso and t-rex arms but the steering wheel seemed like it extended out far enough. Definitely better than my current car which doesn't have an adjustable steering wheel. The back seat is better than the S. My head hits the rear beam on the S but on the 3 there is a about an inch from my head to the glass. I've ridden in the back seat of the S before and the height of the seat cushion makes it awful for anything but short drives. I expect the 3 to be the same. I'm really not a fan of the battery pushing my knees up an extra 4+ inches. I know I'm in the minority but I'd rather have a giant center tunnel and a less squat seating position. Fortunately I don't plan on sitting in the back :)

I'm 6'4" and the driver's seat had more room than I was expecting. It has more room than my current car which is 12" longer.

The key is to move the seats down. Each time I got in with a normal seat alignment, i was cramped. Then I moved the seat down, and I got tons of room.

Other impressions:

This isn't just for tall guys

You've just saved me about $50,000!

I'm only 5'9" and shrinking, but old, stiff, and pleasingly fat. I do have a relatively long thorax for my height. I can get into the S but it's really difficult and I needed training, i.e., start side-saddle. We've been wavering between an X or one of the two M3s we registered in line the first day after 3 hours wait.

Many thanks. I don't want to sell a share of TSLA in order to finance it. An M3 is within our range although when available we will probably have to buy at around $60,000 with air, AW Drive, and premium.

Compared to what we spent the last few decades, that's barely enough for one Model 3 for each US citizen, and none left over for the solar panels. It's a start, though. The real indication that tells me, though, is that we as a people can at least afford it, but through the pocketbooks of buyers, not some government program. But essentially your comment is ballpark not too far away from right.