Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes Model 3 USB Hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Jeda Products

I think it's a bit disingenuous and possibly slanderous to state that the Tapes version of a USB hub will be inferior in quality to your own.

Both are Made In China. Additionally, no one has recieved their hub from Taptes yet so you don't know. In fact.. no one knows!

Also, to imply that the Taptes version may cause damage to our vehicles because they may or may not have done quality checks is definitely a baseless comment.

Honestly this product is a plastic box with USB ports made probably in the same factory.

I get your upset, but are you really that surprised that this happened?

I'd also add that I prefer the Taptes design with 3 USB-A ports and 1 USB-C port since I don't have any USB-C devices. I was tempted to order the Jeda hub but the two USB-C ports, coupled with the very high price, put me off. I ordered the Taptes hub as soon as I saw it because the price is right and the configuration of the ports is better suited to my needs.

Judging from other threads, it would seem that Jeda could use some improvement in their communication with customers. In contrast, Taptes emailed me immediately after placing the order with a confirmation and separate email to thank me. They also shipped it out the next day.

I'd also add that I prefer the Taptes design with 3 USB-A ports and 1 USB-C port since I don't have any USB-C devices. I was tempted to order the Jeda hub but the two USB-C ports, coupled with the very high price, put me off. I ordered the Taptes hub as soon as I saw it because the price is right and the configuration of the ports is better suited to my needs.

Judging from other threads, it would seem that Jeda could use some improvement in their communication with customers. In contrast, Taptes emailed me immediately after placing the order with a confirmation and separate email to thank me. They also shipped it out the next day.
agreed!

Hey guys, before y'all get your panties in a bunch.
What do you think of this? Do we take Tesla down for ripping off Jeda/Nomad/etc (first generation non-landscape option)?
Who came first and why haven't they sued everyone else (unless you don't have a leg to stand on)?

Model 3 Wireless Phone Charger

Apparently, if you “rip-off” a design, but then charge more for it, then that is ok :p

or maybe those patriotic folks will say, “well, it’s one American company “ripping-off” another American company, so that is ok” :rolleyes:

Reactions: McFlurri and sbtz
Got mine yesterday, it looks really nice but unfortunately, having some issues:
- does not work with usb microSD adapters. Ive tried 2 different ones and it just doesnt power it on. Trying a regular USB thumb drives works, so Im guessing portable SSDs like the Samsung T5 will work. This is a bummer since I want to use a high endurance microSD
- My 8bitdo wireless adapters dont work when plugged into the data+charge port, I have to pull out the whole hub and plug my old hub directly into the front usb ports for it to work

Reactions: Erayd8
Got mine yesterday, it looks really nice but unfortunately, having some issues:
- does not work with usb microSD adapters. Ive tried 2 different ones and it just doesnt power it on. Trying a regular USB thumb drives works, so Im guessing portable SSDs like the Samsung T5 will work. This is a bummer since I want to use a high endurance microSD
- My 8bitdo wireless adapters dont work when plugged into the data+charge port, I have to pull out the whole hub and plug my old hub directly into the front usb ports for it to work

can you take a picture of your setup so we can see how it looks?

can you take a picture of your setup so we can see how it looks?

well, I removed the entire hub because of those 2 issues. If I decide to get a samsung T5, I will reinstall it.

The install and looks is pretty much as their website shows. The outside is soft touch plastic and the way you open the hidden compartment is the same as the Jeda

Which microSD usb adapter? I am guessing it is the one everyone recommends on here: Rocketek USB 3. Did you reach out to Taptes to see if it is a known issue? I tried their chat function on their site but haven't gotten any one yet.

The one Ive been using for Sentry/Teslacam since Tesla released it is a usb A + USB c microsd adapter from WEme, which isnt sold anymore. The other one I tried was one from Sabrant. Its just so bizarre, no matter which USB plug I try on the hub, it doesnt even power them on. I did email them over the weekend, but likely wont hear back until February due to Chinese new year. I'll buy that rocketek one and see if it works - maybe the USB C+USB A combo is causing some sort of issue with the hub.

I received my hub today & had some of the connectivity issues described above. I think there may be some type of leftover film or material on the metal contacts of the plugs from the manufacturing. Try creating a little friction between the hub and the car by pulling out and reinserting the hub several times, as well as on each individual plug. I did that and it seems to be working properly for me now.

I received my hub today & had some of the connectivity issues described above. I think there may be some type of leftover film or material on the metal contacts of the plugs from the manufacturing. Try creating a little friction between the hub and the car by pulling out and reinserting the hub several times, as well as on each individual plug. I did that and it seems to be working properly for me now.

Yep! after speaking with some other owners that got the hub, they suggested to pull out and re-seat the taptes hub multiple times. I did this and now my issues are solved - both the microSD adapter and controllers work! I am very happy with this hub, however, I wish it had 2 data USB ports since I still have to use another hub to use 2 controllers

Here are some pics... haven’t installed it yet.
E5324FD9-7622-4D3E-BF31-1B155A5608F4.jpeg
40B8AD80-F28F-41E3-A125-233448BEFA46.jpeg
EA14E688-813D-48C3-8B31-5F4A0D3CD04D.jpeg
1A27C3E7-2AD5-478D-B084-5E0B8088C00E.jpeg