Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes Model 3 Wireless charged on amazon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
looking for comments including the quality of their included splitter which presumably lets you plug in both sides and still use a USB stick for the teslacam.

Did a search but the first several hits that come up are all “for sale” items.

People using this one and happy with it?

looking for comments including the quality of their included splitter which presumably lets you plug in both sides and still use a USB stick for the teslacam.
They are the same kind of splitter cables that everybody else is using and that you can buy for a few dollars on Amazon.
Thx for the heads up. Amazon version is $49. I wonder if there are also other “improvements” in version 2.
The other new feature is that it has an integrated cable that you can use to charge phones that don't support wireless charging. Regarding the usability, fit and performance, I'd wait a few days for reviews. They have just shipped the first units, so we should soon get some feedback.

Taptes (V1 at least) is using the same generic branded China stuff that everyone else is. Go to ebay and snag one for $25.

What's really embarrassing for these companies like Jeda and Nomad is that this cheap generic charger is much better than any of their designs.

I have the version 1 and I'm happy although the horizontal feature of the new one would be very welcome. Taptes support does get back to you. I recently purchased a white armrest cover that wasn't shipped in an optimal way and they have a new one on the way and changed the shipping practices. My experience is they will make things right if there is an issue.

Since I purchased early on I did not receive a splitter so I cannot comment on it.

Per another thread I have this Anker USB hub and it works great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XMD7KPU

For the ones on sale is it the original one? I am thinking of getting the newer model for horizontal positioning.

A recent software updated bumped up the power output of the ports. People have measured up to 3 amps. That's more than enough to power BOTH chargers off of one port.

Power? Yes... get fastest charging, not so much.

Specs at amazon say up to 10 watts of charging per charger- that's not possible for both chargers with only 3 amps at 5 volts (USB)- you'd need 4 amps minimum to fully power both chargers to max speed off one USB port.

(FWIW highest I've seen measured was about 2.5 amps sustained with the port shutting down at 2.6, where'd you see 3?)

I avoid the Jeda one because it costs too much compared to Taptes. What makes them con artists?
Promised me that my charger would ship "this week" for over a month. Ignored 3 separate email and direct messages over the course of a week and a half asking to cancel my order and shipped the product anyway. Did not include the free spacer they promised. And the charger itself only works about 25% of the time I put my phone on it.

Too bad they all really suck in reality. And it's not the chargers fault, it's the lack of power coming from the USB.
Really depends on what you are looking for. My main use for the charger is to avoid depleting the battery while driving and listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks via Bluetooth, particularly on longer drives. So it doesn't have to charge fast. If I (very rarely) need a fast charge in the car, I have a cigarette lighter adapter that supports 12W wired charging for iPhones.

Agree. I dont care about fast charging- none of my wireless have it. My iPhone Xr holds the battery so well its not an issue.

The Taptes works fine. Fit is maybe 4/5. I use an ancient belkin unpowered hub for the passenger side with a usb stick. Price is right. Maybe I would have gotten the Tesla one if available in march.

Power? Yes... get fastest charging, not so much.

Specs at amazon say up to 10 watts of charging per charger- that's not possible for both chargers with only 3 amps at 5 volts (USB)- you'd need 4 amps minimum to fully power both chargers to max speed off one USB port.

(FWIW highest I've seen measured was about 2.5 amps sustained with the port shutting down at 2.6, where'd you see 3?)
You're right and wrong. The Taptes specs are very misleading. What's funny is they even mention their test was done with an iPhone X. They can't even charge up to 10 watts! :eek:

Most other sellers list the actual specs as 7.5 watts and 5 watts. Other sellers of the same product claim you get faster speeds using a QC 2.0 or 3.0 adapter. That may be true. But for iPhones, 1 USB port is enough.

Taptes did some very bad math. Rather than use an actual meter, they "Tested with iPhone X, charge 1% power in 2~3 minutes with 5V 2A USB input". I assume they must have done some weird conversion factoring with the size of the iPhone X battery. Either way, this is fallacious to say the least. Like any battery, there is a charging curve. And the software on iPhone only shows charge level to the nearest whole number, there are so many issues with this methodology.

BS on charging specs and battery is pretty common on these generic products from China. But imo some of the products (like this one) are fairly well executed.

Bottom line: Those of you with iPhones, you'll be happy with this product. Those of you with a fast charging capable phone, maybe a battery bank with QC 2.0 or 3.0 will help, maybe not. Has anyone tested this?

I'm not knowledgable of how QC 2.0 and 3.0 works. Is there some sort of license or special hardware required on the wireless charging coil side? If so, these things are restricted to 7.5 watts max for sure.

Last edited:
You're right and wrong. The Taptes specs are very misleading. What's funny is they even mention their test was done with an iPhone X. They can't even charge up to 10 watts!.

The X perhaps can't.

The newer ones can.

iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max Supports 10W Fast Wireless Charging, Here Are The Best Qi Chargers You Can Get Today

iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max feature 10W fast wireless charging instead of 7.5W

Anyway as I say the most power I've seen anyone measure being able to reliabily pull from front USB ports is 2.5 amps. Which at 5 volts for USB means 12.5 watts.

Meaning 2 newer iphones would be charging at a little over half their max charging speed using 1 USB port.... (and indeed, even the older iphone X if you were charging 2 of them wouldn't quite hit max speed that would require 15 watts)

Using both ports would allow max charging on any of the above, but without a lot left over for any other devices you might be running off a splitter (not sure how the charger handles this)

This is probably why Taptes themselves suggest using a power bank as a buffer if you want max charging speed.