Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m getting awfully confused on the power output of this. So can someone clarify, will this charge an iPhone XS Max at 7.5w using solely the two front USB Ports or no (7.5w is the Mac wireless for the Max)? The nomad claims it can do this and have one on pre-order but if this one does it at half the cost, rather order this.
The Taptes charges at max. 5W when you plug it directly into the USB ports. You need an extra battery with QC support to charge faster (or you can route power from the 12V port if you're willing to take the console apart). Don't know about the Nomad.

Last edited:
I have yet to see evidence of the Nomad charging an iPhone faster than 5W using the factory USB ports. Mine didn't work long enough for me to test. The Taptes has certainly been tested, and it won't charge beyond 5W with a 5W input, no matter the available current. Most of us assume that the Nomad isn't using some magic new puck tech that allows 7.5W of charging from a regular USB port... but I'd love to see a test!

There must be Nomad test for this by now that I've missed? Tough to keep up!

Frankly, I don't really care. I only need wireless charging to top up the phone battery and keep it from draining when streaming music etc. If I need a fast charge I have a cigarette lighter adapter in the car that can charge my iPhone at 12W
Yup, I'm the same way for in-car charging. I still like to have data though, and see if claims match reality.

I have yet to see evidence of the Nomad charging an iPhone faster than 5W using the factory USB ports. Mine didn't work long enough for me to test. The Taptes has certainly been tested, and it won't charge beyond 5W with a 5W input, no matter the available current. Most of us assume that the Nomad isn't using some magic new puck tech that allows 7.5W of charging from a regular USB port... but I'd love to see a test!

I have the Normad, how do I test the charging speed? I’d run a test for ya.

Got it! If someone can test the Nomad that would be great, if it really doesn't charge at 7.5W thats some definite false advertising and I will cancel my order and go with this at half the cost.

CA696CEE-9109-435D-82AC-BB627279237D.png
C3A0CFC3-0D49-47B2-AFF4-93B7179948E0.png
B2290CB5-3120-4F19-B0F6-EFB6120E624F.png
28BCCB14-80DA-43B1-9001-B156B4FFED8B.jpeg

I have just received the taptes wireless charger. Here is a quick look with a Google Pixel 3 XL with their "Version 2" (matte look-updated grip)

1- Charging speed
Folks talk about charging speed and such. I am more in the camp of "top off/fast enough" than "I need 20 000x speed". My phone does say "Charging slowly" when sitting on the dock.

That said, my metric is the "Waze" running test : can I run Waze without losing capacity while charging? The answer is fine, just fine. I had Waze running multi-tabbed with music streaming and I gained some % on a 1h+ drive.

Normal charging with screen off, I get about a few percent every 5 mins. So for my usage, the speed is plenty enough.

2- Stability
The fit is "tight"ish with my Pixel 3 XL with case. Fits fine but there is almost no wiggle room. My phone is huge tho. I got a kick out of the their video where they show how "grippy" the charger is by "simulating" acceleration/deceleration/turns...

Real life use : phone is not going to flop around. The vertical nub in the middle keeps the phone from left / right movement. That said, the phone does not move at all. The phone also does not budge under hard acceleration or deceleration (probably mostly due to angle)

Love the drop-in ease of wireless charging and the Taptes is plenty enough for my day-to-day usage.

Why not 18W?
That is only possible with USB-C Power Delivery on Apple devices since Apple doesn't support Qualcomm QC, and as discussed earlier the available USB-C cigarette lighter adapters stick so far out of the port that the USB cable conflicts with the removable tray. So it's possible, but not exactly convenient. My trusty 5V/2.4A adapter is good enough for now.

That is only possible with USB-C Power Delivery on Apple devices since Apple doesn't support Qualcomm QC, and as discussed earlier the available USB-C cigarette lighter adapters stick so far out of the port that the USB cable conflicts with the removable tray. So it's possible, but not exactly convenient. My trusty 5V/2.4A adapter is good enough for now.
Did you see my pictures of the two adapters that allowed the cable to be plugged in with the tray installed? They are pretty cheap and the iPhone was delivered the full 18W using those adapters with the Apple cable.

2.65W seems way too low. The problem with this kind of app is that Apple does not provide apps access to the battery controller, so there is no reliable way to actually measure the charging power by software.
Yeah this was just a free app I tried to get results for you guys, I not a teenage girl that runs her phone down to 3% before going out (like my daughter). So I don’t need a fast charge just like a top off charge I’m happy with and this normad does work for me. Sorry I could not be more help with the speed test

Did you see my pictures of the two adapters that allowed the cable to be plugged in with the tray installed? They are pretty cheap and the iPhone was delivered the full 18W using those adapters with the Apple cable.
You mean the little angled plug adapters? Yes, I saw that. But it isn't really urgent (I have used the 12W charger exactly one time since I got the Tesla) so I'm going to wait a bit to see if more elegant solutions become available. For example, Apple finally allowed 3rd parties to make certified USB-C/Lightning adapters recently, so perhaps someone comes out with one that has angled plugs (and is hopefully a lot less expensive than the Apple cable).

You mean the little angled plug adapters? Yes, I saw that. But it isn't really urgent (I have used the 12W charger exactly one time since I got the Tesla) so I'm going to wait a bit to see if more elegant solutions become available. For example, Apple finally allowed 3rd parties to make certified USB-C/Lightning adapters recently, so perhaps someone comes out with one that has angled plugs (and is hopefully a lot less expensive than the Apple cable).
I did not know that. Good news about the cables!
I just picked up a 2017 12.9" LTE iPad pro $330 off so I'm looking for another cable. I decided to stay away from the 2018 pre-bent tablets.

So, did a little test on a shopping trip: charging on the Taptes added ~7% in 10 minutes. Given the capacity of 1820mAh of my iPhone 8 battery, this means it charged at around 1.82Ah * 0.07 / (1/6 h) = ~.76A, so roughly 24% loss compared to wired charging from USB at 5W. Works for me.

Reactions: longshot49