Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can the version without the battery keep charging with waze going.

I don’t use waze, not sure what the issue would be.
I assume you must asking about A Tesla App running on your phone & not Teslawaze on your car’s browser.

The issue with some chargers is that Waze will use the phone battery faster than the charger charges the battery so even with charging, your phone will have less battery at the end of the trip than at the start.

Can anyone with Taptes confirm? (Also specify which phone.) Gracias

The issue with some chargers is that Waze will use the phone battery faster than the charger charges the battery so even with charging, your phone will have less battery at the end of the trip than at the start.

Can anyone with Taptes confirm? (Also specify which phone.) Gracias

Taptes will provide anywhere from 5W to 7.5W, depending on your power source (built-in ports vs QC3.0 at 9V).

Whether or not 5W to 7.5W is enough depends on the phone and what other apps are running or not running in the background. Nothing to do with Taptes.

If your phone can stay alive or gain a charge on a 5W wired charger, it will be fine on the Taptes.

If it struggles even on a 12W wired charger, then it will surely die on the Taptes.

Received mine today - ordered 11/29 - and I'm pretty impressed with it.
Quick question to those who have it: The Instructions made it sound like I was supposed to remove the black bar at the bottom of the phone area that flips up (which contains the OEM charging cable ends for lightning and micro usb). I tried to pull on that but was afraid to force it. My Taptes pad is sitting on top of that - doesn't look bad and works perfectly but also seems different from what the instructions say. Anybody have any experience with this?

Received mine today - ordered 11/29 - and I'm pretty impressed with it.
Quick question to those who have it: The Instructions made it sound like I was supposed to remove the black bar at the bottom of the phone area that flips up (which contains the OEM charging cable ends for lightning and micro usb). I tried to pull on that but was afraid to force it. My Taptes pad is sitting on top of that - doesn't look bad and works perfectly but also seems different from what the instructions say. Anybody have any experience with this?
Slide it to the left

Reactions: Thirsty3
@agarabaghi, I tested it out this afternoon and it puts out 9V at around 0.8A to my iPhone X.
I tested on my iPhone XS Max and was 9.07V at 1.33A. I tested it plugged into my Anker PD and PowerIQ 2.0 12v car adapter. This is 12 watts so I think that is 7.5 watt QI. I get the same numbers charging on my desktop QI charger that supports 7.5W charging.

I ordered mine on Nov 27th and it arrived today.

As mentioned above, slide the piece to the left. I don't think you can get the stock charge cables out without removing it?

Received my pad as well today. Fits well, looks like it belongs there. I have the matte version and the anti-slip surface seems fine. You can wiggle it a bit left and right, but I haven't heard a rattle so far while driving (if that happens I'll try to place the adhesive feet where the indentations are on the tray to keep it in place). The only little flaw is that the upper edge of the pad scrapes against the underside of the piano-black lid when you lift the tray to get to the USB ports. Can be avoided by lowering the lid a bit first and then lifting them together.

Reactions: Thirsty3
Then they wont with the Taptes as they are the same product
Not necessarily, since they aren't exactly the same, from what I understand. For example, you can lift the Nomad pad up completely without hitting the black lid at all, unlike the Taptes that will.
So subtle differences may make for a better Note8 fit. My N8 will fit a Nomad, but it isn't easy to squeeze in, even with an extremely thin case on my Note8. (I just got the Nomad today and would return it if I knew the Taptes might provide a better fit for my phone.)

Last edited:
What are the significant differences and do you feel it’s worth $80 more than the Taptes?
The Taptes cables are thicker and longer. The cables exit the back in a different way. The Taptes pad is thinner and the edges do not taper. The Taptes was not designed with an internal battery.

I'm the wrong guy to ask about the $80 difference. I purchased the more expensive Nomad (two units) and they were both defective. They have been returned for refund, and Taptes purchased.

So I guess the answer is no. I do not think that the Nomad is worth more than the Taptes. Because even if the Taptes doesn't work, it will be a better purchase by approximately $80.

I’m getting awfully confused on the power output of this. So can someone clarify, will this charge an iPhone XS Max at 7.5w using solely the two front USB Ports or no (7.5w is the Mac wireless for the Max)? The nomad claims it can do this and have one on pre-order but if this one does it at half the cost, rather order this.

A Note 8 with a case on is very difficult to wedge in. A caseless Note 8 fits. The lip at the bottom of the charger should have been smaller.
Thanks for this info. ! You have saved me a lot of trouble returning the Nomad. In spite of the cost difference, I guess I will just keep it, since the Taptes is not better in that regard. I have learned to get my cased N8 to fit by pressing down on that lip with the bottom edge of my phone while squeezing it onto the pad. (Fortunately, there is some flex to that lip.) Once in place, at least the N8 is securely locked in and not going anywhere with rapid turns, bumps or with accelerating.