Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my review of the TapTes.

Back on December 4th I ordered one of the wireless car chargers for the Model 3 from TapTes (https://www.taptes.com/…/wireless-phone-charger-pad-for-tes…) and it just arrived today. For the record, I purchased the normal one, not the fast charger.

It was shipped in a padded envelope to Canada from China and i'll be honest, I was surprised that it survived as the box was crumpled a little.

What came in the box was some literature from them highlighting some of the other items that they sell, a generic thank you letter (with rather lackluster installation instrucions on the back), the charger and 5 round soft pads that I assume were for the back of the charger. What was glaringly missing were any sort of installation documents. I admit that it is a fairly simple thing to install but i'm sure that someone could find a way to screw it up.

I have no point of comparison as I don't own any of the other options out there but the design seems nice with a raised spine in the centre to keep the phones apart as well as a raised bar at the bottom to keep your phone from sliding down. I also liked that there are two LED's that turn on when a phone is seated in position and charging.

I ended up using the soft pads on the back of the charger lined up with the 4 holes that the oem rubber cover uses to stay in place. As there was no instructions for what their true intent was for, this was my best guess on their use.

If you're looking for a simple wireless charger that fits quite well into the OEM spot and don't want to spend over $100 USD, this is a great option. The lack of proper installation documents wouldn't turn me away from buying this again as the price of $49.90 USD simply cannot be beat.

Nice. When I last checked it wasn't available for order, but now it's back. Ordered. ;)
So, I received the 12V adapter from Amazon we discussed above and did some testing. Unfortunately I can not recommend this model. First, it doesn't sit firmly in the port mechanically, i.e. it slips out very easily. But more importantly, it doesn't charge anywhere near as fast from the USB-C port with my iPhone 8 as is theoretically possible. For some reason the phone only draws ~10W from the adapter:

UC5qThE.jpg

This is also confirmed by a charge test for 10 minutes, which added ~15% to the battery. The battery was only ~35% full, so it was not high-SoC taper. It could of course be different with a different phone model.

Separately, I also tried connecting the Taptes pad to the type A QC port via USB extension cable. This added about 10% in 10 minutes.

So, in summary the approximate net charging rates were:

- Wireless charging with Taptes plugged into Tesla port: ~7% / 10 minutes (~3.8W)
- Wireless charging with Taptes plugged into USB QC port: ~10% / 10 minutes (~5.5W)
- Charging from the USB-C port on the adapter: ~15% / 10 minutes (~8.2W)

For me, it doesn't really seem worthwhile to power the Taptes from a battery or route a cable from a 12V adapter with QC when using an iPhone, since even then the wireless charging is still pretty slow (about the same as wired charging from the Tesla ports). Also, wired charging of the iPhone 8 from my 2.4A USB type A charger is faster than the USB-C PD port on this particular 12V adapter.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BobAbooey
Also wondering the same thing. The battery seems really annoying so far, it turns off after a minute or two with no activity and also doesn't allow passthrough charging so I can't keep it plugged into the car with the Taptes plugged into it. So now I've got one USB cable from the Taptes plugged into the car and the other plugged into the battery.

This is still annoying though because as I said before, the battery turns off after a minute or two with no use so I have to open the center console, press the button on the battery to turn it on, and then it will finally start to work... until someone takes their phone off the charging pad for a minute or two to answer a text. By then the battery has gone back into sleep mode and won't start charging again until you open the center console and press the button on the battery again. As you can imagine this gets annoying very quickly.
That’s sounds like a big pain in the butt,

I got my Taptes in the mail. I really enjoy it. It works flawlessly, fits decent enough, almost perfect and the thing I like most is it securely keeps my phone in place and I don't have to worry about it sliding around if I'm cornering at speeds. With about 5 days under my belt with this thing, I recommend it. It's a great buy.

Just got my Taptes. Although not needed, mine actually came with instructions.

1E913848-B020-439E-AFED-2828F5EA0347.jpeg
Here's my review of the TapTes.

Back on December 4th I ordered one of the wireless car chargers for the Model 3 from TapTes (https://www.taptes.com/…/wireless-phone-charger-pad-for-tes…) and it just arrived today. For the record, I purchased the normal one, not the fast charger.

It was shipped in a padded envelope to Canada from China and i'll be honest, I was surprised that it survived as the box was crumpled a little.

What came in the box was some literature from them highlighting some of the other items that they sell, a generic thank you letter (with rather lackluster installation instrucions on the back), the charger and 5 round soft pads that I assume were for the back of the charger. What was glaringly missing were any sort of installation documents. I admit that it is a fairly simple thing to install but i'm sure that someone could find a way to screw it up.

I have no point of comparison as I don't own any of the other options out there but the design seems nice with a raised spine in the centre to keep the phones apart as well as a raised bar at the bottom to keep your phone from sliding down. I also liked that there are two LED's that turn on when a phone is seated in position and charging.

I ended up using the soft pads on the back of the charger lined up with the 4 holes that the oem rubber cover uses to stay in place. As there was no instructions for what their true intent was for, this was my best guess on their use.

If you're looking for a simple wireless charger that fits quite well into the OEM spot and don't want to spend over $100 USD, this is a great option. The lack of proper installation documents wouldn't turn me away from buying this again as the price of $49.90 USD simply cannot be beat.

Here’s my super-unscientific charging test of Nomad vs Taptes. I don’t have a tester so best I could do.

I have an iPhone X. I closed all apps, except the Tesla app. Started each at 29%.

Left - plugged directly in to the Tesla USB
Right - USB hub with camera flash drive and Nomad/Taptes

E3AF4690-D5EF-4496-9F14-B085727BFA0C.png

Here’s a pic of both:
AFC028C7-417C-4461-BE6C-E23884C2729D.jpeg

Nomad is definitely thicker and fits a bit better. However, I didn’t install the rubber feet on the Taptes. Guessing this will secure it a bit better.

If anyone wants different pics or tests, let me know.

Here’s my super-unscientific charging test of Nomad vs Taptes. I don’t have a tester so best I could do.

I have an iPhone X. I closed all apps, except the Tesla app. Started each at 29%.

Left - plugged directly in to the Tesla USB
Right - USB hub with camera flash drive and Nomad/Taptes

View attachment 364521
Here’s a pic of both:
View attachment 364520

Nomad is definitely thicker and fits a bit better. However, I didn’t install the rubber feet on the Taptes. Guessing this will secure it a bit better.

If anyone wants different pics or tests, let me know.

Excellent work......so Taptes is a bit faster charging ehh?

Well too late for me, I’ve already got the Nomad running....but interesting info nonetheless.
I do like the look, feel, fit of the Nomad better. Not much difference but seems a bit higher quality. And it looks like not too much difference in charging. I think I’ll test again for longer and see if there is still a difference. I only use it to top off, so leaning toward the Nomad, but we will see.

Edit: Of course, just showed the wife and she said, “I like the look and division of this one better”. Taptes. Will install the feet and try it out tomorrow.

Last edited:
I emailed Taptes about the stickers. Here's the reply (which I received within minutes, by the way): "The padded stickers are used to fix the charger to the place where it's installed. As you may notice, there are several holes when taking out the original pad and you could stick the sticker there and then place the charger."

I received my Taptes charger a few weeks ago and am very satisfied with it. The phone (iPhone X in this case) stays in place well and charges reliably. I also think the charger looks very nice.

I emailed Taptes about the stickers. Here's the reply (which I received within minutes, by the way): "The padded stickers are used to fix the charger to the place where it's installed. As you may notice, there are several holes when taking out the original pad and you could stick the sticker there and then place the charger."

I received my Taptes charger a few weeks ago and am very satisfied with it. The phone (iPhone X in this case) stays in place well and charges reliably. I also think the charger looks very nice.
Yep, definitely will help hold it in place better. They are both solid charges and at this point, the Taptes seems to charge a bit quicker. And of course is significantly priced less. The Nomad has much nicer packaging and includes stickers and a blurb about the owners and the company. I don't think it's worth the extra cost, especially if it charges at a bit lower rate than the Taptes. Still gonna test a bit more and see if there is a difference.

• Disagree
Reactions: digitalDCH