Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice review and I agree with your conclusion. But I'm curious: why do you use this particular powerbank, given that neither it nor your phone support fast charging with the Taptes? Wouldn't you get the exact same functionality just plugging the pad in directly?
The powerbank is for when the car is off. The powerbank continues to provide power to the usb device. Most powerbanks will either charge or discharge at a time. This one allows pass thru.

This is the splitter I'm using on the Nomad (they recommended it), I have the red wire side plugged into the Nomad left side charger, and the non-red wire has my flash drive for dash cam. Works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KX4TKH6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this and have it plugged in the same way you do, but even still the side of the charger that's plugged into the powerbank doesn't automatically turn on. I have to manually push the little button on the battery. Am I just doing something wrong?

I got mine yesterday and installed it promptly.
the charging is great works as expected, however there is a major drawback.
the charger is shorter on the x-axis and longer on the y-axis.
the shortness breadth wise causes the unit to wobble when placing the phone, cornering etc.
being longer length wise makes the Tesla folding lid not to open up completely. so if you can live with these drawbacks it works great.

you can see the closing issue in the above posted video at 80 seconds

when the lid is pulled up it lifts up the charger completely to accommodate for that extra length. also you can see this user exert some force

• Informative
Reactions: Kbra
I got mine yesterday and installed it promptly.
the charging is great works as expected, however there is a major drawback.
the charger is shorter on the x-axis and longer on the y-axis.
the shortness breadth wise causes the unit to wobble when placing the phone, cornering etc.
being longer length wise makes the Tesla folding lid not to open up completely. so if you can live with these drawbacks it works great.

you can see the closing issue in the above posted video at 80 seconds

when the lid is pulled up it lifts up the charger completely to accommodate for that extra length. also you can see this user exert some force

To get rid of the wobble you have to attach the sticky pads that come in the box with the charger. Use the back of the original Tesla mat that was in the Taptes's place before as a guide on where to stick the little pads onto.

• Informative
Reactions: stillwaiting
For those of you who have had the Taptes delivered, how many days after it cleared customs did it get it?

This is the last update 2 days ago:
Jan 2, 2019 12:50 PM
4PX Express
LAX / Released from customs: customs cleared.

Slightly off topic but i decided against dropping on this or the nomad. I instead purchased the attached super thin wireless charger and placed it under the oem phone mat. This way I have one wireless and one wired slot (got rid of the usb3). The right side of the mat just snaps into existing holes. On the left side I just put two small pieces of double sided tape on the top/bottom corners to secure the mat since it’s slightly raised due to the charging pad. No wobble and works great for $15.

Attachments

• FD58F4A5-7466-4AB5-9A5D-63AD02B231B5.jpeg
    FD58F4A5-7466-4AB5-9A5D-63AD02B231B5.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: daver6640