Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tasmanian Fast / Ultra Fast chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is going to be very useful.
Tasmania is getting easier and easier.
My only road trip to Tassie was pretty difficult to plan. I was staying with relatives near Hobart, but only using wall plug. Takes 40 hours to recharge after coming down from Davenport, but I kept unplugging and driving into Hobart so ended up taking a good few days to get back to full.
This new charger could fully charge me while I go shopping and eating in Salamanca.

Reactions: Chuq
That is going to be very useful.
Tasmania is getting easier and easier.

It's getting *heaps* easier across the north of the state:
IOAaI6N.png

Pic from Plugshare showing only 3-phase Type 2 socket chargers.
Green circles are new ones (installed, yet to be activated). Orange circle shows the Launceston 50kW Tritium (note there will be two Type 2 locations in Launceston as well)

Both the green circles are thanks to the Meander Valley Council. If only the councils between Hobart and Launceston were as proactive!

Really makes me wish I could afford to buy some land in Campbell Town and let someone fill it with solar, batteries and EV chargers!

The Launceston DC fast charger is live!

Electric avenue for Paterson Street

Nice little video from City of Launceston on Facebook too:
It’s worth noting that this is 100% a City of Launceston funded site. Apart from being willing to support and promote, neither AEVA nor EHT are involved. EHT said they would build *where no one else is doing so*. I understand they are happy to be able to stretch their limited funds across fewer locations!

Reactions: baillies and nigwil
Any idea what the overall cost of a fast-charger setup like that would be? for Campbell Town is it within reach of a group of businesses to get together and use them to lure customers?

LCC stated that theirs cost $65,000, but I would guess that is on the low side. Just speculating Campbell Town would probably want faster chargers and/or multiple chargers being that it's a highway stop town. Burnie and Hobart are progressing, but Northern Midlands Council appears to be totally disinterested.

I joked about buying some cheap land in Campbell Town and letting EHT build a dedicated solar/battery off-grid charging facility on it :)

A few updates :)

1) Chargefox announced their intention to build an ultra-rapid site (350kW) in Campbell Town by the end of the year. Discussed further in the Chargefox thread - ChargeFox Ultra Rapid Network (350kW/HPC)

2) The State Government announced grants for destination chargers and DC fast chargers in Tasmania. The interesting part is the fast charger portion, with $400,000 funding available, and grants available of up to $50,000 per site.

Applications closed last week, and at the AEVA meeting last night it was suggested there was significantly more interest than expected. I was attending via Skype and audio was unclear but it sounded like there were >15 applications.

Clive volunteered the information that they (Electric Highway Tasmania) put in applications for 6 sites, along the north-west, west coast and east coast. Their logic being that they were aware of either concrete or tentative intentions for either councils or other commercial entities to build out other parts of the state, so they only applied for the regional areas which are less commercially viable.

3) Mood Food at Kempton has installed a 50kW fast charger! Kempton is about 50 km north of Hobart, 150 km south of Launceston. (When Campbell Town goes in, the gaps will be 50km, 82km, 68km). I only noticed this on Plugshare today so not a lot of info available!

Interestingly enough, I notice the charger is labelled "Bolt by Bennetts" (Bennetts being a local company which operates fuel distribution as as well about 12 service stations in Tasmania. Seems like they are establishing a brand for their EV charging? More coming from them? :) Funnily enough their full name is "Bennetts Petroleum"!)
Plugshare link for the Kempton site: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

A few updates :)

1) Chargefox announced their intention to build an ultra-rapid site (350kW) in Campbell Town by the end of the year. Discussed further in the Chargefox thread - ChargeFox Ultra Rapid Network (350kW/HPC)

2) The State Government announced grants for destination chargers and DC fast chargers in Tasmania. The interesting part is the fast charger portion, with $400,000 funding available, and grants available of up to $50,000 per site.

Applications closed last week, and at the AEVA meeting last night it was suggested there was significantly more interest than expected. I was attending via Skype and audio was unclear but it sounded like there were >15 applications.

Clive volunteered the information that they (Electric Highway Tasmania) put in applications for 6 sites, along the north-west, west coast and east coast. Their logic being that they were aware of either concrete or tentative intentions for either councils or other commercial entities to build out other parts of the state, so they only applied for the regional areas which are less commercially viable.

3) Mood Food at Kempton has installed a 50kW fast charger! Kempton is about 50 km north of Hobart, 150 km south of Launceston. (When Campbell Town goes in, the gaps will be 50km, 82km, 68km). I only noticed this on Plugshare today so not a lot of info available!

Interestingly enough, I notice the charger is labelled "Bolt by Bennetts" (Bennetts being a local company which operates fuel distribution as as well about 12 service stations in Tasmania. Seems like they are establishing a brand for their EV charging? More coming from them? :) Funnily enough their full name is "Bennetts Petroleum"!)
Plugshare link for the Kempton site: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
Wonderful news. I'll start planning another Tassie road trip.

The $400,000 in funding will be money very well spent by the Tasmanian government. I will spend several thousand NSW dollars the next time I'm there tootling around in my EV, and making the state more accessible will bring many more people as the M3 hits the streets.

Reactions: baillies and Chuq
The DC fast charger grant recipients have been announced!

upload_2019-7-4_23-27-24.png

For those who don't know where these places are ....
Blue - existing 50 kW chargers
Orange - new locations
Pink - new location, most likely ultra-rapid (350 kW) - I've only assumed this because that's all Evie are talking about - 350 kW.

upload_2019-7-4_23-28-36.png

This means a total of 14 locations (2 existing, 12 with this grant) but Chargefox had already announced intention to build in Campbell Town by the end of the year. Perhaps this means there will be 15 locations (two in the same town!?)

This is going to provide some incredible density on some routes. Driving from Huonville to Burnie (387 km) will involve passing through 8 locations with chargers, with the biggest gap between chargers being about 85 km.

Press release from the state government: Supercharging Tasmania's EV network

Fantastic - I assume these will be "generic" (i.e. non-Tesla branded) chargers? Although the Model 3 would be able to use them anyway (just won't get to use my referral supercharging credits...).

Welcome and congrats on the Model 3 :)

Yes all generic (public) - one of the conditions of the grant was that all sites must offer Chademo and CCS2. Elizabeth Town and Campbell Town will be 350 kW, my expectation is that the others will all be 50 kW.

Further news articles since the announcement include:
Also worth mentioning the Campbell Town Chargefox location - not covered by this grant. So there will likely be minimum 4x 350 kW charging spots in Campbell Town (at 2 different locations, unless they're doing some sort of shared site arrangement) in the near future!

• Informative
Reactions: Miggy
Welcome and congrats on the Model 3 :)

Yes all generic (public) - one of the conditions of the grant was that all sites must offer Chademo and CCS2. Elizabeth Town and Campbell Town will be 350 kW, my expectation is that the others will all be 50 kW.

Further news articles since the announcement include:
Also worth mentioning the Campbell Town Chargefox location - not covered by this grant. So there will likely be minimum 4x 350 kW charging spots in Campbell Town (at 2 different locations, unless they're doing some sort of shared site arrangement) in the near future!

Thanks!