Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tasmanian ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Benh

Aug 18, 2021
Hobart
Hey!
Looking to purchase my first Tesla when the Model Y is released in Australia.

Given I live in Tasmania and there is nowhere on the island to purchase Tesla, am I correct in assuming I would have to fly to Melbourne to pick up the car?

Secondly, given the quality issues with new Teslas, if I were to have any issues (bodywork gaps, etc.) to get them fixed under warranty, would I be required to go to a Tesla service centre, which I believe the closest to Tasmania is in Melbourne too?

My 3LR arrived on a transporter at the bottom of the drive in Lindisfarne. Tesla has a mobile service that comes to Tas periodically (bit erratic), OK for minor things I don’t know what happens if the car becomes undriveable. There is supposed to a permanent presence coming to Tas, I was told this year. The service/repair is booked through the App, you have to book into the Richmond (Melbourne) service centre, they are supposed to notice you are in Tas and adjust accordingly, but don’t always.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T and Chuq
My 3LR arrived on a transporter at the bottom of the drive in Lindisfarne. Tesla has a mobile service that comes to Tas periodically (bit erratic), OK for minor things I don’t know what happens if the car becomes undriveable. There is supposed to a permanent presence coming to Tas, I was told this year. The service/repair is booked through the App, you have to book into the Richmond (Melbourne) service centre, they are supposed to notice you are in Tas and adjust accordingly, but don’t always.
Great! Good to know thanks Fistobar.

There is a permanent tech on their way, he would have been there already (as of about 2 months ago) but has been restricted from going due to COVID

Reactions: AussieOwner
Hey!
Looking to purchase my first Tesla when the Model Y is released in Australia.

Given I live in Tasmania and there is nowhere on the island to purchase Tesla, am I correct in assuming I would have to fly to Melbourne to pick up the car?

Secondly, given the quality issues with new Teslas, if I were to have any issues (bodywork gaps, etc.) to get them fixed under warranty, would I be required to go to a Tesla service centre, which I believe the closest to Tasmania is in Melbourne too?
I had tesla’s in adelaide years before they had any representation here. Tesla managed it effectively and efficiently.
The delivery was handled by a national car carrier. I simply picked it up from them. Four times now.
Although we now have an excellent tech team in Adelaide, back then tesla appointed a repair body to deal with most items, which typically was failing door handles. On the one occasion that the big screen failed , they flew a new screen and tech in to fix It. Was very quick, a few days for memory. Quicker than any dealership.
Tesla Australia are quite good at looking after their remote customers. COVID may impact you though, butnot much goes seriously wrong with a tesla. Most problems are software and remote fix, or punctures

Reactions: Hairyman and moa999
Hi @Benh and welcome!

While there aren't that many Tasmanians on this forum there is a very active Facebook group. At the moment the count of Teslas in Tassie is around 90 Model 3s and 30 Model S/Xs.

The comments above about the mobile tech are correct. The timeframe on the ranger technician permanently based in Tas was "a couple of months away" a couple of months ago. Covid caused a lot of issues last year when owners were stuck for 6-9 months without a service tech. It's probably caused delays this time although moving to the state permanently you would think would only be a one-off two-week quarantine at the worst. Anyway, when they do finally make it they are going to be based out of Cambridge.

I'm aware of a Model 3 owner in the north-west who had issues that necessitated a return to base; in his case he had another vehicle, but if it was your only car I would imagine they would make a loan car available. Worth checking though.

Most people's deliveries have been to their door on the back of a truck - some have opted to pick up from the depots (Derwent Park and Youngtown).

I'm not an owner yet but like you, awaiting the Model Y!

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
Th
Hi @Benh and welcome!

While there aren't that many Tasmanians on this forum there is a very active Facebook group. At the moment the count of Teslas in Tassie is around 90 Model 3s and 30 Model S/Xs.

The comments above about the mobile tech are correct. The timeframe on the ranger technician permanently based in Tas was "a couple of months away" a couple of months ago. Covid caused a lot of issues last year when owners were stuck for 6-9 months without a service tech. It's probably caused delays this time although moving to the state permanently you would think would only be a one-off two-week quarantine at the worst. Anyway, when they do finally make it they are going to be based out of Cambridge.

I'm aware of a Model 3 owner in the north-west who had issues that necessitated a return to base; in his case he had another vehicle, but if it was your only car I would imagine they would make a loan car available. Worth checking though.

Most people's deliveries have been to their door on the back of a truck - some have opted to pick up from the depots (Derwent Park and Youngtown).

I'm not an owner yet but like you, awaiting the Model Y!
The techs in adelaide have always been locals trained up by tesla as opposed to a trained person relocating

Hi Fistobar I live in Launceston and have ordered TM3 for est.del. Apl23. Are there any updates to new service outlets in Tas?

HI all, i'm coming to Launceston for a wedding and I want to hire a model 3 for 6 days. anyone know anyone will to rent me one for this time? or a service that offers hiring of Tesla's

I'll probably drive it to 4 mile creek and back, the rest of the time will be spent hopping around in the 4 Mile creek area.

Please let me know

Last edited:
HI all, i'm coming to Launceston for a wedding and I want to hire a model 3 for 6 days. anyone know anyone will to rent me one for this time? or a service that offers hiring of Tesla's

I'll probably drive it to 4 mile creek and back, the rest of the time will be spent hopping around in the 4 Mile creek area.

Please let me know
I flew down to Launceston in August to celebrate my 50th and hired a M3LR from evee.com.au. Off the plane I was instructed to call a number for a shuttle bus that took me straight to the car. It was a seamless experience.

Just make a note of the pickup address so you can find it again at the end of your holiday. I forgot to make a note and had to drive around a bit to find it.

I flew down to Launceston in August to celebrate my 50th and hired a M3LR from evee.com.au. Off the plane I was instructed to call a number for a shuttle bus that took me straight to the car. It was a seamless experience.

Just make a note of the pickup address so you can find it again at the end of your holiday. I forgot to make a note and had to drive around a bit to find it.
Thanks' so much for the tip