Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's probably right, as it was about $3k less then the MYLR when it was 'announced'....

Not worth it it for the massive range difference % if it's similar to my 3. My SR RWD 3 was $35K-tax credits I can't recall what at M3LR AWD was at the time.

Also doubt I'll find one with 3 rows prior to 4/15 for tax credit. MyMYLR is enroute from Fremont per rep, should be here in 2 days. Fingers crossed.

@Ray_R What text number are you referring to? The one you received delivery updates from? It would be great to get similar assurances.

I took delivery last week, but didn't get a tax credit report/form. It's not in my documents online.
Also, Tesla doesn't have my SSN, since I didn't finance with them. So I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.
I tried Chat a few times. When I was told anything at all, it was that "my Purchase Agreement was all that was needed and my CPA would know what to do." Well, not quite...

IRS Fact Sheet FS-2023-04, February 2023

Topic A. Q1.
...for a taxpayer to claim the credit, the seller of a new clean vehicle must provide a report containing taxpayer and vehicle information to the taxpayer and to the IRS. See Topic B FAQs 7-9 for additional detail.

Topic B. Q8. ...A seller must provide the following information on a report to the taxpayer and to the IRS:
•Name and taxpayer identification number of the taxpayer (Didn't finance. They don't have my SSN.)
Other things...
Q9. When must the seller provide the report to the taxpayer?
The seller must provide the report to the taxpayer not later than the date the vehicle is purchased.

Friday's updated FS-2023-08, March 2023 did not change these requirements.

Not worth it it for the massive range difference % if it's similar to my 3. My SR RWD 3 was $35K-tax credits I can't recall what at M3LR AWD was at the time.

Also doubt I'll find one with 3 rows prior to 4/15 for tax credit. MyMYLR is enroute from Fremont per rep, should be here in 2 days. Fingers crossed.
Right, and that was the general consensus at the time when they were first 'announced'. The MYSR was a great deal when it came out, probably priced too cheap for Tesla to make any money on it. I think it was around $40k when the LR was around $52k, the extra $12k getting you AWD and more range but that was about it. The SR may have had the 'partial premium' interior as well but I can't recall.

Right, and that was the general consensus at the time when they were first 'announced'. The MYSR was a great deal when it came out, probably priced too cheap for Tesla to make any money on it. I think it was around $40k when the LR was around $52k, the extra $12k getting you AWD and more range but that was about it. The SR may have had the 'partial premium' interior as well but I can't recall.

I have the 'partial premium' interior for my M3SR no big loss.

so no longer priced right @39K except on paper and I shouldn't even bother looking, trying to order off menu.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rp-22-42.pdf
SECTION 5. SELLER’S REPORTS
.01 Required Reports under Sections 30D and 25E. For purposes of § 30D(d)(1)(H), the person who sells any vehicle to the taxpayer or, for purposes of § 25E(c)(1)(D)(i), the dealer (as defined in § 30D(g)(8)) who sells any vehicle to the taxpayer, as applicable, (collectively, Seller) must furnish a report to the taxpayer and the IRS, at such time and in such manner as the Secretary provides containing information that is listed in this section 5.01. Accordingly, for vehicle sales occurring in calendar year 2023 or later, the Seller must provide the report to the taxpayer not later than the date the vehicle is purchased and must submit the report to Secretary within fifteen (15) days of the end of the calendar year containing the following:​
(1) The name and taxpayer identification number of the Seller;​
(2) The name and taxpayer identification number of the taxpayer; 16​
(3) The vehicle identification number of the vehicle, unless, in accordance with any applicable rules promulgated by the Secretary of Transportation, the vehicle is not assigned such a number;​
(4) The battery capacity of the vehicle;​
(5) Only for sales of new clean vehicles, verification that original use of the vehicle commences with the taxpayer;​
(6) The date of sale, sale price of the vehicle, and maximum credit under § 30D or § 25E, as applicable, allowable to the taxpayer with respect to the vehicle;​
(7) For sales after December 31, 2023, in the case of a taxpayer who makes an election to transfer the credit to an eligible entity under § 30D(g)(1), any amount paid or otherwise allowable as a partial payment or down payment to the taxpayer; and​
(8) A declaration applicable to the report signed by a person currently authorized to bind the Seller in these matters, in the following form: “Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have examined this report submitted to the IRS pursuant to Revenue Procedure 2022-42 by [insert name of Seller], and to the best of my knowledge and belief I certify that this report is true, correct, and complete.” This written report must be provided to the IRS in the time and manner described in section 6.03 of this revenue procedure.​
Are we supposed to get something when we pick up the car or do we wait until Jan 15th 2024 to get something from Tesla? I'd hate to find out I needed to do something at pickup. I just picked up my MYP last week.

Reactions: vickh
Have you checked your Tesla account on-line? Not the app, but your Tesla.com account. Documents are listed there.

Delivery this week :)
For my 3 I had to wing it since no docs gave me a delivery date. Just order date. At the time IRS wasn't requiring any docs, I wonder if we will have to submit something or just VIN?

hmm Date of Agreement instead of date of Delivery? so nothing says date of Delivery
Login to your account from your browser - choose Manage for the Tesla vehicle in question. You will then see a Delivery Declaration document that you can download that has what you're looking for - the date of delivery - with your personal signature - this is the document you signed electronically at the DC when you took ownership of the vehicle.

1680614341129.png

• Informative
Login to your account from your browser - choose Manage for the Tesla vehicle in question. You will then see a Delivery Declaration document that you can download that has what you're looking for - the date of delivery - with your personal signature - this is the document you signed electronically at the DC when you took ownership of the vehicle.

View attachment 924809
Interesting. I'm in Northern CA. I picked up 3/25. I do not have a Delivery Declaration included in my online documents. Is it just me or is this different in different states?

1680622797040.png

View attachment 924809
I don't have that under my account. I didn't sign anything at pickup. I just hit the accept delivery button in the app, got in, and drove away.

View attachment 924809

Best ans. yet! Can you post it here w/ private stuff blacked out?

Picking up this week and want to show center sample just in case.

I don't have that under my account. I didn't sign anything at pickup. I just hit the accept delivery button in the app, got in, and drove away.
My pickup experience was the same as yours. I just pressed the pay button in the app and drove away after inspection.

Since we are discussing a tax refund to be applied against our 2023 tax liability, I am not going to worry about this until the (2023) tax preparation season which won't be until early 2024.

I suspect a Delivery Declaration may be required as I took delivery out of state and my state is what is known as a Self Registration state for Tesla. Perhaps it's not required for states that accept deliveries and have a Tesla DC in state already.

• Informative

View attachment 924809
My delivery date was 3/29. No Delivery Declaration in my docs. I have no copies of any of the docs I manually signed on delivery day.