Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Q4. When do the new critical mineral and battery components requirements apply? (updated March 31, 2023) A4. April 18, 2023. The critical mineral and battery components requirements of the new clean vehicle credit apply to vehicles placed in service on or after April 18, 2023, the day after the applicable Notice of Proposed Rulemaking is issued in the Federal Register. Vehicles ordered or purchased prior to but placed in service on or after April 18, 2023 will be subject to the critical mineral and battery component requirements.

... so based on bold text - will Tesla know before Apr 17 what qualifies after Apr 18? Will it be disclosed before "issued in federal register"

Looks like they pushing hard to get different battery supply for the base M3 and Base MY so the others must be ok..

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
It appears to be inferred based on the fact that Tesla updated their website this morning to advise that the Model 3 Rear Wheel Drive is expected to lose the full credit after March 31 while the verbiage about the Model Y possibly losing the full credit after guidance is issued has been removed.

Let's say Sally and Dan came to visit you. Yesterday, I told you that Sally and Dan may leave next week. Today, I told you that Sally was expected to leave next week, but I said Dan is still visiting. I no longer said that Dan may leave next week, so you could infer that Sally will leave and Dan will stay.:)

Last edited:
so all Y's are good thru 4/18.... and beyond?
Answer: Yes for Long Range & Performance; exception is the base AWD lower range (270mi) models they've been selling from inventory

Then me: Where did you get this info?

Then: It appears to be inferred based on the fact that Tesla updated their website this morning to advise that the M3RWD is expected to lose the credit after today while the verbiage that the credit may reduce for MY orders after guidance is issued has been removed.

Seems we are confusing the 3 and the Y somewhere along the way.

Interesting as I thought the 4680 batteries were produced in Nevada. I guess the materials must be from overseas.
Last I checked the actual 4680 battery cells were manufactured in Freemont, and the battery packs are assembled in GigaTexas specifically for the MY AWD and the forthcoming CT.