Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,
Just picked up my Model Y Long Range yesterday. Was not given any paper documents. What will I need next tax filing season to claim full $7500 tax credit. Where do I get this information?
Thanks,
File your tax return with IRS Form 8936 to claim the credit.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
What happen if you get the child credit?

Any tax credits are already reflected in Line 24 for your Total Tax. Line 19 includes the child tax credit - which is subtracted from the calculations that ultimately provide your Total Tax on line 24. That's why I said just look at line 24 on your 1040 and if it's greater than $7500 then unless you have some really advanced tax scenarios - you'll be eligible for the full EV tax credit provided you qualify against the previously mentioned AGI limits from line 11.

Hey,
Just picked up my Model Y Long Range yesterday. Was not given any paper documents. What will I need next tax filing season to claim full $7500 tax credit. Where do I get this information?
Thanks,
This is what I got from Tesla support -

Thank you for your message and congrats on your recent pick up! This document is currently not provided by Tesla, however, will be mailed out once the IRS releases more information. We will be in contact at that time.

Have a great day!

Kindly,
Laurel

Hey guys, I've researched but unable to find a clear cut answer to my question

I took delivery of a MY LR in February and the vehicle qualify for the 7,500 tax credit

I've looked into selling the current LR and buy a MY Performance since it now also quality for the tax credit

My spouse and I names are on the vehicle, would it be possible to sell the MY LR and buy the MY performance and be able to claim 2 ev credit? Or will I have to wait until next year

My taxes liabilities will cover the 15k

Thanks

Hey guys, I've researched but unable to find a clear cut answer to my question

I took delivery of a MY LR in February and the vehicle qualify for the 7,500 tax credit

I've looked into selling the current LR and buy a MY Performance since it now also quality for the tax credit

My spouse and I names are on the vehicle, would it be possible to sell the MY LR and buy the MY performance and be able to claim 2 ev credit? Or will I have to wait until next year

My taxes liabilities will cover the 15k

Thanks

That's an interesting question. I'd recommend consulting a tax professional on a question like this. From what I have found online - looks like you could do this under the original regs prior to 2022 - but the regs have changed with the IRA this year. Let us now what you find out.

Never indicated I was a CPA - but it doesn't take a genius to understand a 1040 form either. I've filed my own taxes via various software programs for 30+ years now - I know how to read a tax form LOL.

I hear ya, I do the same not b/c I like doing taxes, but b/c I can make better tax decisions. I still have a CPA review my HR prepped return for "advanced" review

Does the 2022 Model Y Long Range (in service date 3/25/22) qualify for the Tax Credit filed in 2023? When we enter Tesla into the Turbo Tax software, it indicates it is not a qualified vehicle. In researching, there seems to be conflicting or confusing information - but legitimate sites indicate 2022 Model Y Long Range qualifies?

Does the 2022 Model Y Long Range (in service date 3/25/22) qualify for the Tax Credit filed in 2023

No, it does not. I am still wondering where people are getting this confusing information from. Tesla was over the cap for sold vehicles so no tesla was eligible in 2022, and anyone claiming it on their taxes is making a mistake (and should hope they are not getting audited).

No, it does not. I am still wondering where people are getting this confusing information from. Tesla was over the cap for sold vehicles so no tesla was eligible in 2022, and anyone claiming it on their taxes is making a mistake (and should hope they are not getting audited).
Thank you @jjrandorin! Articles such as: Tesla's Model Y and other EVs will now qualify for $7,500 tax credit, IRS says indicate that the 2022-2023 Model Y Long Range is qualified. Since I just really wanted it to be applicable to me, I misinterpreted the information. Some people are reporting they are getting $7500 tax credit for Tesla purchased in 2022 when filing their incomde taxes this year. So, that's what also confused me. I get it now. Any Tesla purchased in 2022 is capped out. But with new 2023 laws, it will open it up again for some Tesla owners/buyers. Lucky them!

Thank you @jjrandorin! Articles such as: Tesla's Model Y and other EVs will now qualify for $7,500 tax credit, IRS says indicate that the 2022-2023 Model Y Long Range is qualified. Since I just really wanted it to be applicable to me, I misinterpreted the information. Some people are reporting they are getting $7500 tax credit for Tesla purchased in 2022 when filing their incomde taxes this year. So, that's what also confused me. I get it now. Any Tesla purchased in 2022 is capped out. But with new 2023 laws, it will open it up again for some Tesla owners/buyers. Lucky them!

Right... and its possible to buy a 2022 model year tesla in 2023, new. That would qualify. I dont see anything in that article about a Tesla purchased in 2022 qualifying, either.

Reactions: oliphant428
Does Tesla have you fill out anything for the rebate?

Per Topic B, Question 9 from https://www.irs.gov/pub/taxpros/fs-2023-08.pdf

Q9. What information does a seller have to provide to a taxpayer purchasing a new clean vehicle to allow the taxpayer to
claim the new clean vehicle credit? (updated March 31, 2023)
A9. A seller must provide the following information on a report to the taxpayer and to the IRS:
• Name and taxpayer identification number of the seller
• Name and taxpayer identification number of the taxpayer (only one taxpayer may be listed on the seller report; in the event of multiple owners, only the taxpayer that intends to claim the credit should be listed)
• Vehicle identification number (VIN) of the new clean vehicle
• Battery capacity of the new clean vehicle
• Verification that the taxpayer is the original user of the new clean vehicle
• The date of the sale and the sale price of the vehicle
• Maximum credit allowable for the new clean vehicle being sold
• For sales after December 31, 2023, the amount of any transfer credit applied to the purchase
• A declaration under penalties of perjury from the seller For
further details see Revenue Procedure 2022-42.

Regarding the second bullet, if there are two registered owners, Tesla has to pick one for the seller report, and they have to provide that owner's taxpayer identification number (SSN for most people), which they'd have to obtain somehow. So is there something we'd fill out at delivery to tell Tesla which owner is going to apply for the credit, along with that owner's SSN?

Big News today. https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/17/cars/ev-tax-credits-2023-which-cars-climate/index.html

Nissan lost their tax credit qualifications That will kill their sales.

Which cars qualify for EV tax credits?

Vehicles that qualify for the full $7,500 in tax credits include:

• Cadillac Lyriq
  • Chevrolet Blazer
  • Chevrolet Bolt
  • Chevrolet Bolt and EUV
  • Chevrolet Equinox
  • Chevrolet Silverado
  • Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
  • Ford F-150 Lightning
  • Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring
  • Tesla Model 3 Performance
  • Tesla Model Y (All-Wheel Drive, Long Range All-Wheel Drive and 2022 Performance)
Other vehicles qualify for $3,740 in tax credits, including:

• Ford Escape Plug-in Hybrid
  • Ford E-Transit
  • Ford Mustang Mach-E
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee PHEV 4xe
  • Jeep Wrangler PHEV 4xe
  • Lincoln Corsair Grand Touring
  • Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Rear Wheel Drive

Big News today. https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/17/cars/ev-tax-credits-2023-which-cars-climate/index.html

Nissan lost their tax credit qualifications That will kill their sales.

Which cars qualify for EV tax credits?

Vehicles that qualify for the full $7,500 in tax credits include:

• Cadillac Lyriq
  • Chevrolet Blazer
  • Chevrolet Bolt
  • Chevrolet Bolt and EUV
  • Chevrolet Equinox
  • Chevrolet Silverado
  • Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
  • Ford F-150 Lightning
  • Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring
  • Tesla Model 3 Performance
  • Tesla Model Y (All-Wheel Drive, Long Range All-Wheel Drive and 2022 Performance)
Other vehicles qualify for $3,740 in tax credits, including:

• Ford Escape Plug-in Hybrid
  • Ford E-Transit
  • Ford Mustang Mach-E
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee PHEV 4xe
  • Jeep Wrangler PHEV 4xe
  • Lincoln Corsair Grand Touring
  • Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Rear Wheel Drive
I hope they mean 2023 MYP!