Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to file federal taxes tonight with Turbo Tax and received notice that I need to wait for Feb 21.

This is for a MYLR bought in Dec 2023.

Screen Shot 2024-01-20 at 9.44.19 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Skavatar
That’s odd. TTP download let me complete Form 8936 on Jan 18 when the interview went live. I don’t have all my 1099’s yet anyway, so I can wait.
I will log in tonight and try again. TT made it seem as if it was on the Fed’s side. I did enter my vin and related info into the TT program, so I assumed it was all good till I received that message in the review stage.

Reactions: js5889
I will log in tonight and try again. TT made it seem as if it was on the Fed’s side. I did enter my vin and related info into the TT program, so I assumed it was all good till I received that message in the review stage.
I just logged in and rechecked and my Form 8936 looks right, and the credit is on my 1040 as expected. However, Form 8936 still has a DO NOT FILE (yet) exclamation on it, like about a half dozen other less common forms. That’s not unusual IME, and I’ve always been able to eFile TT by mid February in years past. Maybe you’re using a different version/platform than I am.

Hey all!

I didn't know about the 15400 at first (I took delivery January 2023). Submitted my tax return with the 8936 on Jan 21st and received a rejection from the IRS because my "VIN didn't match their records" on the 23rd. I found out about needing the 15400 and how to generate it through Tesla's website. I did that on the 23rd and the form generated instantly. I then refiled on the 23rd and received a rejection from the IRS for the same reason on the 24th. I then filed again on the 26th and received a rejection from the IRS for the same reason. I called Tesla yesterday to see if they had any additional info/guidance. The person I was talking to said they would have to email another department because to their knowledge all the VINs had already been sent to the IRS. I was told I would get a response back in 24 hours.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: vickh and Skavatar
Hey all!

I didn't know about the 15400 at first (I took delivery January 2023). Submitted my tax return with the 8936 on Jan 21st and received a rejection from the IRS because my "VIN didn't match their records" on the 23rd. I found out about needing the 15400 and how to generate it through Tesla's website. I did that on the 23rd and the form generated instantly. I then refiled on the 23rd and received a rejection from the IRS for the same reason on the 24th. I then filed again on the 26th and received a rejection from the IRS for the same reason. I called Tesla yesterday to see if they had any additional info/guidance. The person I was talking to said they would have to email another department because to their knowledge all the VINs had already been sent to the IRS. I was told I would get a response back in 24 hours.
oh wow, the IRS sucks.
did you file online? maybe email a copy of the 15400 to the IRS?

oh wow, the IRS sucks.
To cut down on fraud the IRS requires the seller to validate the vehicle was eligible and the party to whom it was sold.
However, due to the delay in issuing guidance until April 2023, the IRS did create a limbo period where the rules for reporting were not so clear.

oh wow, the IRS sucks.
Yep, I efiled through FreeTaxUSA. Doesn't appear there's any way to include any attachments when you submit to the IRS through them. Worst case scenario if Tesla is unable to give me any answers then I could mail my return in. I do have the 15400 signed and dated for 1/23. Hoping it doesn't go to that though because it'll obviously take a bit longer to get my refund.

part of the problem also falls on Tesla. they should be submitting the 15400 forms within a few days of the sale. we bought our 3 back in Feb 2023, we had to fill out the request on the website 2 weeks ago to get it.... so i guess that created a delay on the IRS database...

Reactions: mongo
part of the problem also falls on Tesla. they should be submitting the 15400 forms within a few days of the sale. we bought our 3 back in Feb 2023, we had to fill out the request on the website 2 weeks ago to get it.... so i guess that created a delay on the IRS database...
Yeah, that was the limbo period I mentioned which was part 2022 carry over (minus manufacturer volume caps) and part IRA legislation.