Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The IRS didn’t start accepting returns until the 29th, so no surprise it was rejected on 1/26…
I believe the IRS has a system that automatically checks to see if there's a matching VIN/SSN in their database. If it finds none then it auto-rejects. I typically eFile every year when I get my W2. The reason I was given for the rejection:
2023 Federal Tax Return Rejected​
Donnie,

To finish your tax return, please correct the error(s) described below or follow the instructions provided.​
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
The IRS is rejecting your return because the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on one of your vehicles used to claim the Clean Vehicle Credit doesn't match their records.

To correct your return:
  1. Sign in to your account.
  2. Choose Clean Vehicle Credits from the Deductions / Credits menu.
  3. Check that you've entered each VIN correctly.
  4. Resubmit your return.

Last edited:
Rejected again. Same reason.

Donnie,

To finish your tax return, please correct the error(s) described below or follow the instructions provided.​
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
The IRS is rejecting your return because the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on one of your vehicles used to claim the Clean Vehicle Credit doesn't match their records.​

I'm going to call Tesla again later today. They said they would give me a call back within 24 hours a couple of days ago but I never did get a call back. Honestly quite irritated with how this is going. A big reason why I purchased when I did was because of the $7500 credit that they made note of on their site. It's disappointing that I'm kinda in limbo right now regarding how/when I can file to not only get that $7500 but my usual yearly refund.

Last edited:
that sucks. i still do paper tax returns. i'll include a copy of our 15400 just in case. Tesla really should have submitted the forms shortly after each and every sale to prevent this delay. but they got our money, doesn't affect them if we don't get our $7,500 tax credit.

we got our 3 in Feb 2023, just got the Form 15400 from Tesla last week when we did the online request. my wife and I stopped all tax withholding, pretty sure we'll still owe a few thousand $, gonna wait till April to file our tax return.

Turbo tax is still saying the forms are not ready yet and I can’t submit. Has anyone else submitted via TT?

Attachments

• 70087D91-A26B-4ED1-99A9-68E64408B54A.jpeg
    70087D91-A26B-4ED1-99A9-68E64408B54A.jpeg
    312 KB · Views: 23
HR Block just released a preliminary form 8936 but totally deleted form 8911 for the charging station rebate.

"Where is Form 8911?
You might have been able to access options to complete Form 8911 in a previous version of our product. We won't be supporting this feature due to increased limitations on who qualifies. As a result, you won't be able to access the form or any details you might have completed in the previous version of the product."

HR Block just released a preliminary form 8936 but totally deleted form 8911 for the charging station rebate.

"Where is Form 8911?
You might have been able to access options to complete Form 8911 in a previous version of our product. We won't be supporting this feature due to increased limitations on who qualifies. As a result, you won't be able to access the form or any details you might have completed in the previous version of the product."
You're able to fill out the charging station rebate with Turbo Tax, but they don't verify your location. I ended up removing it from my filing, since they consider my Chicago suburb (Naperville) an urban area and didn't want to risk any delays. Do they not consider Woodstock urban?

Edit: I just looked it up. I guess there are parts that they consider "low income", so they qualify.
1707318330852.png

Last edited:
Reactions: mongo
You're able to fill out the charging station rebate with Turbo Tax, but they don't verify your location. I ended up removing it from my filing, since they consider my Chicago suburb (Naperville) an urban area and didn't want to risk any delays. Do they not consider Woodstock urban?

Edit: I just looked it up. I guess there are parts that they consider "low income", so they qualify.
View attachment 1016165

I live in the green area just outside of town so the way I read the rules, I qualify for the charger rebate because I'm rural.