Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2024 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
knew I was getting a refund this year.
you should have stopped paying taxes in 2023 as soon as you knew you were eligible for the $7500 ev tax credit b/c its taken off what you owe. if you don't owe the IRS any money the ev tax credit won't benefit you.

my wife got her M3 at the beginning of Feb 2023. i stopped all income tax from my work, and i told her to do the same. so we only paid Fed taxes for Jan 2023. i had estimated that we would owe around $10-12,000 in income tax for 2023, i also sold enough stocks at a loss, and can deduct Capital Losses.

So line 16 for me is a little of 26k in taxes. How does the 7500 apply?
Yeah, you should probably get the full 7,500 assuming you were under the income limits.
Form 8836 goes the Schedule 3 goes to line 20 of Form 1040
SmartSelect_20240307_162907_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20240307_162919_Firefox.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
you should have stopped paying taxes in 2023 as soon as you knew you were eligible for the $7500 ev tax credit b/c its taken off what you owe. if you don't owe the IRS any money the ev tax credit won't benefit you.

my wife got her M3 at the beginning of Feb 2023. i stopped all income tax from my work, and i told her to do the same. so we only paid Fed taxes for Jan 2023. i had estimated that we would owe around $10-12,000 in income tax for 2023, i also sold enough stocks at a loss, and can deduct Capital Losses.
I don't think that's how a tax credit works. According to my CPA, it is based on my tax burden (taxes owed for the entire year based on income, deductions, expenses, etc.), not on the additional amount I may owe when I pay my taxes.

I'm not a CPA, non-advice...

The credit comes off your tax liability, not your tax due.

also sold enough stocks at a loss, and can deduct Capital Losses.
Only $3k of capital losses can be used to offset normal income per year.

Reactions: dhrivnak
ah ok, my bad, got confused between "non refundable" and "tax refund". but i was still able to invest all that money throughout the year. sell off enough stocks at a loss to get the $3,000 capital losses, and wait till April to file and pay my taxes. i'm doing the same thing this year too, not withhold any Fed taxes and investing it.

Reactions: dakhlkt22
ah ok, my bad, got confused between "non refundable" and "tax refund". but i was still able to invest all that money throughout the year. sell off enough stocks at a loss to get the $3,000 capital losses, and wait till April to file and pay my taxes. i'm doing the same thing this year too, not withhold any Fed taxes and investing it.
I don't like big "refunds" of my own money either but Make sure that you're withholding at least 90% of what's due though, or there is a penalty.

My situation

2023 - I was a Canadian resident with US income (about 15K) through company stocks. Will file the 2023 taxes (1040NR) next week similar to what I have done for the last few years.

2024 - Moved to the US in Jan and will be a resident for 2024 with US income > 150K and will buy the car with POS credit. I think I will be eligible for the tax credit based on my 2023 AGI in the US through 1040NR even though I wasn't a resident. Is my understanding correct?

IRS states that you can use your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) from the current year (2024) or the previous year (2023) whichever is lower. In my case 2023 US income is 15K but 2024 is over 150K. Does it matter if you were a resident of another country in 2023 but had US income, filed 1040NR and use that income (under 150k) to claim the EV tax rebate at POS in 2024 where my 2024 income will be more than 150k?

Thanks in advance for any help.

No, the IRS has finalized that form months ago. It appears that HR Block has not finalized it. I filed a month ago and have already received refund using another tax service.
It's March 17th and H&R Block pushed back the release of their form 8936 for another week. Now they're saying it will be available on Friday 3/22. They've been pushing it back a week at a time since February 16th. We said F*** it and bought TurboTax, it worked just fine. It's obvious H&R Block has an internal problem where they can't get the form into their software. Every time we electronically filed, it would kick back with an error message - Form 8936 Not Available Yet.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and mongo
Basic qs on EV tax credit. It says "Modified AGI under $150,000" for single filing. If someone makes AGI of 151000, the std deduction will take it under 150K. In that case is one eligible for the EV tax credit?
No, modified AGI has carveouts for foreign income.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/taxpros/fs-2023-29.pdf
Your modified AGI is the amount from line 11 of your Form 1040 plus:
• Any amount on line 45 or line 50 of Form 2555, Foreign Earned Income.
• Any amount excluded from gross income because it was received from sources in Puerto Rico or American Samoa.
If your filing status changes between the preceding year and the current year, you may claim the New Clean Vehicle Credit if your modified AGI is less than or equal to the threshold applicable to your filing status for in the preceding year or current year
However, you can qualify under your 2023 AGI/ filing status if that helps.

Reactions: ven7782
Getting ready to place an order on a LR Model Y. Wife and I had MAGI exceeding limit of $300k last year, which included proceeds of sale from an investment property. For 2024, will be come in right around the income limit. If we take a POS credit off the purchase price I understand we will have to “pay back” the $7500 credit when we file if we end up going over the income limit. Would we also be accessed a penalty or interest in that event?

What options are available to reduce our MAGI? Believe I read we can take up to $3,000 in capital gain losses against our ordinary income? What about declared losses on an investment property?

TIA!

Getting ready to place an order on a LR Model Y. Wife and I had MAGI exceeding limit of $300k last year, which included proceeds of sale from an investment property. For 2024, will be come in right around the income limit. If we take a POS credit off the purchase price I understand we will have to “pay back” the $7500 credit when we file if we end up going over the income limit. Would we also be accessed a penalty or interest in that event?

What options are available to reduce our MAGI? Believe I read we can take up to $3,000 in capital gain losses against our ordinary income? What about declared losses on an investment property?

TIA!
Your tax goes up by the credit amount. It may be treaded the same as any other underpayment . If do, you can adjust your 2024 withholdings once you know you won't qualify.
IRA and HSA contributions lower your AGI.