Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2024 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it's been really disappointing and frustrating -- add to that the lost $250 deposit. We have to get the down payment refunded before we can decide next steps, and have to be prepared to file on our own next year if we encounter the same issue. But that means our monthly will go up and we would be financing another $7500, and I'm not sure we'd be willing to do that. Unfortunately, Tesla support has been no help.
Last I read, the IRS portal needs to work and accept your tax information in order to do the end of year filing.

Yeah, it's been really disappointing and frustrating -- add to that the lost $250 deposit. We have to get the down payment refunded before we can decide next steps, and have to be prepared to file on our own next year if we encounter the same issue. But that means our monthly will go up and we would be financing another $7500, and I'm not sure we'd be willing to do that. Unfortunately, Tesla support has been no help.

they should have put the order on "hold" until you sorted it out to save the $250. You'd lose the VIN.

Reactions: Skavatar
My husband and I had a Model Y ready to pick up on Sunday, and even got to sit in it while they processed the $7500 POS credit. But they came out and said they couldn't process it because the middle name in my registration in the Tesla app didn't match the IRS, and they couldn't edit the name -- verified after a lot of discussion with support. We had to cancel the order. Before trying again, at what point does the middle name populate, and can it be edited before being locked in? We live in MA: our car registration and licenses have our full names, but IRS and SS# have middle initial only. Any help would be appreciated.
That's crazy. How many people with your first and last name have the same SS# as you do? Right, none. How come when the government gets months to develop a software do they still screw it up? They just can't get out of their own way. Instead of hiring 87,000 new investigators, maybe the IRS should have hired a handful of competent software developers.

That's crazy. How many people with your first and last name have the same SS# as you do? Right, none. How come when the government gets months to develop a software do they still screw it up? They just can't get out of their own way. Instead of hiring 87,000 new investigators, maybe the IRS should have hired a handful of competent software developers.
Right. So it seems if your name is Jack Harry Smith, and the IRS only recognizes Jack H Smith, you're SOL. But Tesla should be able to allow us to edit the registration details to fix this, and they couldn't or wouldn't. We went round and round with support. Their solutions was to lease or cancel, and we were so peeved by then, we canceled. I'd still like the car, but I'm very gun-shy now. If I can't edit the middle name to match the IRS, we'll be in the same position -- with another $250 deposit.

• Informative
Right. So it seems if your name is Jack Harry Smith, and the IRS only recognizes Jack H Smith, you're SOL.
This is probably all thanks to Real ID, where your DMV registration information has to match your birth certificate exactly, right? (Middle name spelled out, can't be just the initial unless the initial is the only thing on the birth certificate.)

Right. So it seems if your name is Jack Harry Smith, and the IRS only recognizes Jack H Smith, you're SOL. But Tesla should be able to allow us to edit the registration details to fix this, and they couldn't or wouldn't. We went round and round with support. Their solutions was to lease or cancel, and we were so peeved by then, we canceled. I'd still like the car, but I'm very gun-shy now. If I can't edit the middle name to match the IRS, we'll be in the same position -- with another $250 deposit.

This is probably all thanks to Real ID, where your DMV registration information has to match your birth certificate exactly, right? (Middle name spelled out, can't be just the initial unless the initial is the only thing on the birth certificate.)

All true, but the IRS is the problem. On the 1040 form I filed last year, they didn't have a place for middle name, only middle initial. If they only allow middle initial, then require that you match that on other documents, that's a failure.

I've had a driver's license since 1965 with my full middle name on it. My SS card is older than that and has my full name on it as well. The IRS only wants middle initial. The IRS is the problem. I'll find out in a couple of months if this is also a problem when filing for my 2023 tax credit for buying a Tesla. If it is, then tens of thousands of Tesla buyers are going to be upset, not just you and me.

I unfortunately had to pick up my Tesla in January before the POS credit went live. Is there any way to verify my information was actually sent to the IRS or any document that I will need to claim it in 2025 on my 2024 tax return?

Online you can only "Generate 2023 IRA Document" which of course nothing pops up for since the car was bought in 2024

I unfortunately had to pick up my Tesla in January before the POS credit went live. Is there any way to verify my information was actually sent to the IRS or any document that I will need to claim it in 2025 on my 2024 tax return?

Online you can only "Generate 2023 IRA Document" which of course nothing pops up for since the car was bought in 2024

One reason I waited since you'll be in limbo. People in the 23 thread have had luck with Contact US page.

I wonder how the IRS will handle checking/audit to see if you didn't get POS.

Our names (husband was primary, I was secondary) were populated -- he had uploaded his license and our registration, and he *thinks* our SS#s, but my full name was in there before I uploaded my license, and he didn't spell out my middle name. I'd try again, but we already lost our $250 deposit and can't lose another if we can't edit the middle name. I'd be primary this time.

so, I have a question for you. did the Tesla app show that your $7500 credit was approved before you went to pick up the car?

Mine shows approved in the APP, but I haven't pickup the car yet. I'm scheduled for tomorrow. I don't want any issues, ie, waiting hours for the IRS portal to approve it.

so, I have a question for you. did the Tesla app show that your $7500 credit was approved before you went to pick up the car?

Mine shows approved in the APP, but I haven't pickup the car yet. I'm scheduled for tomorrow. I don't want any issues, ie, waiting hours for the IRS portal to approve it.
It did show in the app, and we got the email that everything was ready. So we drove the hour to get there, sat in "our" car while they finished up, and then got told the information didn't match with the IRS so they couldn't process it.

• Informative
Reactions: Skavatar and Alonzo
did Tesla support call the IRS?

did support say you could delete you account and create a new one with a matching middle name/initial?

i don't have a X account but this issue needs to be brought up to the Man in charge. it should also be brought up to the Biden admin since they're the ones pushing EVs and green energy.

did Tesla support call the IRS?

did support say you could delete you account and create a new one with a matching middle name/initial?

i don't have a X account but this issue needs to be brought up to the Man in charge. it should also be brought up to the Biden admin since they're the ones pushing EVs and green energy.
As far as I know, they didn't call the IRS -- the info was not a 1:1 match, so they said there's nothing they could do, including going into their own app and fixing, or allowing me to do so. I could've deleted the account, but they said they'd release the car and I'd lose the deposit because it would be canceling the order. And they wouldn't work with me to avoid that. So after a couple days of them supposedly looking into I and giving me their final decision, I canceled, but don't want to try again unless I know I can edit my middle name. If I can't, that's another $250. I saw this happened to a couple users on Reddit, so my case can't be unique.

I understand the advantages to buying a car this way ... when it works. This is when I miss human interaction because I guarantee I would've come home in a car if I was at a traditional dealer.

As far as I know, they didn't call the IRS -- the info was not a 1:1 match, so they said there's nothing they could do, including going into their own app and fixing, or allowing me to do so. I could've deleted the account, but they said they'd release the car and I'd lose the deposit because it would be canceling the order. And they wouldn't work with me to avoid that. So after a couple days of them supposedly looking into I and giving me their final decision, I canceled, but don't want to try again unless I know I can edit my middle name. If I can't, that's another $250. I saw this happened to a couple users on Reddit, so my case can't be unique.

I understand the advantages to buying a car this way ... when it works. This is when I miss human interaction because I guarantee I would've come home in a car if I was at a traditional dealer.
How is your situation different from every other buyer? What are you doing differently? Everyone's driver's license should have their middle name on it. If Tesla is using your full name from your DL, nothing you can do about it. Nobody's IRS filing should have a middle name on it. So, these two should never match for anyone.

Just curious.

How is your situation different from every other buyer? What are you doing differently? Everyone's driver's license should have their middle name on it. If Tesla is using your full name from your DL, nothing you can do about it. Nobody's IRS filing should have a middle name on it. So, these two should never match for anyone.

Just curious.
I would love to know this, too.

Just to be clear, I have a couple of questions for someone who recently purchased.

Is the $250 non-refundable reservation fee still credited back if you do purchase the car? It was when I last purchased a Tesla, although I did have to pay sales tax on the $250 since it was part of the purchase price before it was credited back.

Is the $7,500 POS subtracted from the purchase price before sales tax are applied? Or do you end up having to pay sales tax on that $7,500?

Just to be clear, I have a couple of questions for someone who recently purchased.

Is the $250 non-refundable reservation fee still credited back if you do purchase the car? It was when I last purchased a Tesla, although I did have to pay sales tax on the $250 since it was part of the purchase price before it was credited back.

Is the $7,500 POS subtracted from the purchase price before sales tax are applied? Or do you end up having to pay sales tax on that $7,500?
Purchased almost 3 months ago. My $250 reservation fee was credited back on the final sales ticket. I didn't pay attention to whether I paid tax on that fee. I would assume I did since it, effectively, became a down payment.

The $250 reservation fee is not credited toward the vehicle price. If you buy a vehicle which costs $48,000, then you will pay $48,250 plus other fees and taxes. Here's my purchase agreement. You'll see they added the $250 to the purchase price, then gave credit for the $250 paid. You do pay taxes on the order fee, just like on the destination fee. This is in Texas, may be different in other States.

contract.JPG

contract2.JPG