Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible accessory ordering experience online

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As soon as I was assigned a VIN I ordered a 240v mobile connector adapter so I would be ready for level 2 charging upon delivery. My garage is connected to my laundry so the dryer's NEMA 14-30 outlet is convenient for charging my vehicle. Unfortunately, the 14-30 adapter cable was listed as sold out in Tesla's online store. They did however have 6-50 adapters in stock. Since I knew I'd need a splitter anyway so that I could keep the dryer plugged in, I ordered a splitter with a 14-30 plug, a 14-30 receptacle and a 6-50 receptacle, and a 6-50 extension cord (both from Amazon). I ordered the 6-50 adapter from Tesla and it was due to arrive 2 days before DoD. The final setup would be: splitter plugged into 14-30 wall outlet, dryer plugged into splitter's 14-30 receptacle, extension plugged into splitter's 6-50 receptacle, Tesla adaptor plugged into extension. The splitter and extension arrived right on schedule, but FedEx tracking status on the adapter went to delayed. I took delivery of the car with only level 1 charging available at home.

I gave it another week and when it didn't show or change status or any update whatsoever on the tracking I called FedEx who said they'd open an investigation. No reply from them after several days so I called again and they told me they'd lost the package and Tesla would need to file a loss claim. I contacted Tesla through [email protected] twice with no response. I also called my nearest Tesla showroom where picked up my car and they basically said they couldn't help me. I applied through the app for a "return" with the reason "took too long to arrive". That seemed to work fine so I went ahead and placed a new order for another 6-50 adapter hoping it wouldn't get lost this time. Then Tesla emailed me a few hours later with instructions for sending back the item I never received, saying they'd refund once they get the item back.

I tried to contact them by email again, but still no response, so I contacted the CC issuer and disputed the payment. Even that didn't spur Tesla into any action as far as contacting me, so I just waited for the second 6-50 adapter. I received the package for the second order from FedEx today. Tesla had simply put a shipping label on the retail box, rather than putting it into a proper, corrugated shipping carton. Unsurprisingly the retail box had split open in transit and the contents was spilling out. This gave me a pretty good indication of why FedEx had lost the first order: it probably split open in transit, the adaptor fell out and ended up who knows where. To make matters worse, they sent me the wrong adapter. They sent me a 14-30 adapter, which is what I originally would have ordered if it wasn't listed as out of stock. Of course, it isn't compatible with the splitter and extension cable I bought for the 6-50, meaning I still don't have any way to do level 2 charging at home. I emailed Tesla again but I have no confidence they've suddenly had a customer relations epiphany. Love the car, hate the customer service.

Reactions: Kevinaldo
FYI... your plug could be in a ravine somewhere.

Something else to try is to visit your service/sales center. They often will have adapters and other accessories on hand and while you're there check on your order/cancel it if they have one.

Not sure how you paid, but I know with Amex I would just contact them and say I never received it and they would take car of it with whomever was involved. And I second just stopping by the Service Center. Stuff gets done a lot better and quicker when there is a face in front of them.

Reactions: felizf and rob1987
Thanks for the advice. The service center is 100 miles away, so I might stop by at some point but it won’t be until I’m over that way for some other purpose. As far as disputing the charge on the second order I’ll at least give them a week to respond to my latest email then start taking action.

I think your issue may be with FedEx not Tesla. They used to be awesome, but ever since the pandemic (maybe longer), they've been the worst, by far... A few months ago, I bought some phones from Google that were shipped by FedEx... FedEx showed my package as "Delivered" three separate times... Each time, I pulled up video footage showing no such delivery, and each time, FedEx said they don't know why the driver marked the package as delivered, as they said it never left their distribution hub... On another occasion when this same thing happened, they said I could go to the hub to pick it up... So I went, and they didn't know where the F it was... They said it could be in one of two different hubs, but didn't know which... They also refused to give me the phone number to the hubs... I managed to get a number from one of many calls... When I called it, the person that picked up was agitated and asked where I got the number... Apparently, it was the cell number of one of the shift managers at the hub.

On a side note, I'm surprised you waited so long to get your accessories, lol... I ordered mine right after placing my order for the Y, so I had everything ready to go, WELL in advance of getting the Tesla, lol. Maybe too soon, hahaha, I still have to find the trunk mat I ordered, I seem to have misplaced it, haha.

I think your issue may be with FedEx not Tesla.

FedEx are responsible for losing the first package, but they certainly didn’t make Tesla grab a (supposedly out of stock) 14-30 adapter off the shelves when I’d ordered a 6-50. They also aren’t the ones that just slapped a shipping label on a retail box and expected it to hold up during shipping but I do hold FedEx responsible for even accepting such a shoddily packaged consignment. FedEx also aren’t at fault for Tesla failing to reply to any of my communication. As the shipper, Tesla needs to make a loss claim, but since they won’t even acknowledge receipt of emails asking them to make a claim, they’re causing a major issue there too. And at the end of the day, I don’t have a choice of shipper. Tesla does, and they chose FedEx, so anything FedEx does is on them anyway.

On a side note, I'm surprised you waited so long to get your accessories, lol... I ordered mine right after placing my order for the Y, so I had everything ready to go, WELL in advance of getting the Tesla, lol. Maybe too soon, hahaha, I still have to find the trunk mat I ordered, I seem to have misplaced it, haha.

My car wasn’t expected until April ‘22, but I suddenly got notice that a VIN had been issued in late November.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I'm actually certain this is squarely on Tesla, not FedEx. I've placed 5 orders for parts and accessories and each one has had issues, mostly stemming from Tesla quickly creating a ship label but then never handing off the package to FedEx. Confirmed on multiple occasions this is what has happened. Can't blame FedEx. Also, customer service for parts and accessories is the worst I've ever experienced maybe with any US-based online store. Support is non-existant. No attempts to resolve issues for missing packages or packages with missing parts. No replies to customer emails. No partnership between local service centers and parts in California. Telsa may have taken car buying leaps forward, but on accessories and parts, it's absolutely abysmal.

My (limited) understanding of the car sales industry as it applies to legacy manufacturers is that they make very high profits on the accessory sales. Basically, they compete for your business as far as selling you a car by slashing margins, but then once you’ve bought a particular model they can gouge you on the accessories for it. I don’t know if that is Tesla’s business model, but $45 for an adapter cable doesn’t seem like cost of production plus reasonable markup. Even if Tesla accessory sales are not profitable, it supports the profitable part of the business. It’s not much use having an EV if you can’t get your hands on the accessories to charge it.

I've ordered 5+ items from Tesla, they were timely, never an issue with delivery. They sent a defective tire pump (kit), quickly replaced it, produced a return shipping label.
Single data point, of course.
Did they communicate with you over the defective tire pump kit? Or fully automated system for applying for a return, printing a shipping label, etc.? Not that a fully automated system is bad per se if it works. In my case their automated system wanted me to return an item that never arrived, and it seems human intervention from Tesla’s end will never be forthcoming.

I've ordered numerous items from Tesla/shipped via FedEX and all have arrived without issue....except this same 6-50 adapter that OP mentions. My first ended up being lost in Wyoming. It has taken a month for Tesla customer service to get me a repalcement ordered/shipped and dang it, this one is sitting idle in California as well (6 days so far).

• Informative
Reactions: rob1987
It might actually leave California soon, lol

1641264468561.png

I'm actually certain this is squarely on Tesla, not FedEx. I've placed 5 orders for parts and accessories and each one has had issues, mostly stemming from Tesla quickly creating a ship label but then never handing off the package to FedEx. Confirmed on multiple occasions this is what has happened. Can't blame FedEx. Also, customer service for parts and accessories is the worst I've ever experienced maybe with any US-based online store. Support is non-existant. No attempts to resolve issues for missing packages or packages with missing parts. No replies to customer emails. No partnership between local service centers and parts in California. Telsa may have taken car buying leaps forward, but on accessories and parts, it's absolutely abysmal.
Really strange. I've ordered 5 different times from Tesla over the past 6 ish weeks and have received them all between 3 and 5 business days after ordering. Wired wall charger, mud flaps, 14-50 cord for the mobile charger, key fob, and the glass booze decanter. Fedex is notoriously awful in my area as well, with the Troutdale, Oregon "black hole" being a common hop for stuff coming out of CA -> WA State.

Local service center (if you have one nearby) is another option if online orders and delivery aren't reliable.

Reactions: MD048
What on earth are you hooking up here? Maybe your splitter is a switch of some sort? Because it doesn't sound good.
You don't just "split" a 30A circuit and depend on humans to do the right thing, because they will inevitably fail.

Besides a manual "A/B" switch, the only proper way to share your dryer circuit is with a Dryer Buddy.

Dryer Buddy Plus AUTO

What on earth are you hooking up here? Maybe your splitter is a switch of some sort? Because it doesn't sound good.
You don't just "split" a 30A circuit and depend on humans to do the right thing, because they will inevitably fail.

Besides a manual "A/B" switch, the only proper way to share your dryer circuit is with a Dryer Buddy.

Dryer Buddy Plus AUTO
I use scheduled charging to charge after 12am. Pretty sure we won’t be drying clothes at that hour. Even if we did it would just trip the breaker, right?

I use scheduled charging to charge after 12am. Pretty sure we won’t be drying clothes at that hour. Even if we did it would just trip the breaker, right?
Don't let your insurance company find out or land lord. etc.
Your depending on Tesla's Robust software to never start charging when it shouldn't LOL.

Problem is it might not trip the breaker. Dryer might be on low or car not using full 80% load (charging cold battery or tapering near the end) when they "accidentally" both run.
So you could ride at 99% load for a while and things start to fry before the breaker trips.
You are not supposed to go above 80% rating. So you have this 20% window that you don't want to be in and won't trip the breaker.

Breakers are really for severe faults, not to cover, oops I didn't mean to do that.
As you go up in amps, tripping them becomes more serious.

Tripping say 1800 watts (15A 120V) vs 7200 watts (30A 240V) is serious business.

If you are really limited on circuits or renting. You should consider a dryer buddy. Then you can charge safely, any time (Except when the dryer is running).

I would think you would want to run the dryer at off peak hours too !! Soon as the drying is done, the car starts charging.

P.S. We have our dryer going after 12AM all the time. As the wife says, oh honey, I forgot to put the wash in the dryer as I'm crawling into bed.

Last edited:
Reactions: MD048