Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible delivery experience: what to do next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a fellow eye surgeon, I completely agree with you.

I find it ironic that an eye surgeon would show so much patience for a poor attention to detail. It's snobbery to throw around comments about "newness to expensive cars." Guess what, it's not my first 100K investment, and I have pretty high expectations when I spend 100K. And so did my dad when he had his detached retina and invested in its repair. Wondering how medical patients feel about quality. As a patient do you expect something less than perfection and high attention to detail?

You're enabling complacency, the delivery was a failure. Whether it's the business of medicine or vehicles, pride should be taken in doing the best job possible. Tesla is a company that focuses on the experience. This was not the experience promised, nor expected.

Tesla's showing signs of moving too fast. I'm not a doctor, but a business man, and this has simply raised the antenna.

I disagree with everyone you have to be pickey.. it's 100,000 + car! I have never picked up a new car with dirty tires they should have washed it before presenting it to you. Someone was overworked or lazy.

Totally agree. If they can't do something as simple as washing tires and wheel wells then that is just sad. When I picked up my X it was spotless. Still had some other issues as I am picky too.

One point to consider is Teslas are more computer and technology then automobile. The R&D is more similar to a large technology enterprise company like HP rather than Lexus or Porsche. The foundation is the technology and innovation. And it is more important to value their ability to improve or fix the innovation rather than the traditional automotive quality standards.

I find it ironic that an eye surgeon would show so much patience for a poor attention to detail. It's snobbery to throw around comments about "newness to expensive cars." Guess what, it's not my first 100K investment, and I have pretty high expectations when I spend 100K. And so did my dad when he had his detached retina and invested in its repair. Wondering how medical patients feel about quality. As a patient do you expect something less than perfection and high attention to detail?

You're enabling complacency, the delivery was a failure. Whether it's the business of medicine or vehicles, pride should be taken in doing the best job possible. Tesla is a company that focuses on the experience. This was not the experience promised, nor expected.

Tesla's showing signs of moving too fast. I'm not a doctor, but a business man, and this has simply raised the antenna.

<insert mic drop here>

• Funny
Reactions: Sully's8
I'm not sure if someone mentioned this, but what you saw in the paint of the car is something that is very common with many new cars. Unfortunately it can really only be seen on a white car. However, fixing the problem is pretty easy and just takes a little time.

I believe the issue is as a result of industrial fall out and can be seen or felt in the new paint of just about any car including many that people have mentioned here. I suspect the only car where one may not see this on delivery is with a Ferrari given how much detail that put into the paint at the factory and the people that they employ to fix paint imperfections.

The easiest way to pick up on these imperfections is for anyone to clean their new car regardless of colour to the best of their ability and to where they feel the car is clean. After this, run your hands over the paint and I suspect you will feel the paint to be very rough and not smooth as one would expect. What you feel is all of the pollutants that have been picked up in the clear coat while it was still soft.

The fix is to buy a clay bar and do a thorough one over with you car. A better step would be to consider adding a paint cleaner step, but usually the clay bar resolves most of these issues.

Once finished with the clay bar, clean the car again and then run your hands over the paint and I think you will be very surprised that it now feels as you would have expected.

Hope this helps, but I have seen this issue on 911 turbos, BMWs and with Lexus.

If you ever develop a cataract, come to LA and I will take good care of you :).

Certainly will help with MX windshield double vision lol.
I had my congenital cataract removed 2 years ago and it has been horrible. I can't look at black lights (like on the rides at Disney) because the eye with the IOL sees them as bright blue and the normal eye does not see them at all which creates a weird sensory overload. Also I have halos around bright lights that never went away. The doc said that will clear up! WRONG! But at least I don;t have ghosting on my X!

I had my congenital cataract removed 2 years ago and it has been horrible. I can't look at black lights (like on the rides at Disney) because the eye with the IOL sees them as bright blue and the normal eye does not see them at all which creates a weird sensory overload. Also I have halos around bright lights that never went away. The doc said that will clear up! WRONG! But at least I don;t have ghosting on my X!

How do you ride on space mountain? :)

This all appears to be complacency on Tesla's part. I understand the whole "this car is tech, not luxury" argument, but that doesn't placate the expectations at this price point. Every Tesla owner should expect a pristine car and the SC should address every issue - no matter how trivial. By every account the SC does, btw. Other manufacturers have perfected this process through trial and error, no reason why Tesla won't eventually get there.

Case in point. I bought a Honda CRV about 7 years ago. Upon delivery, the dealer challenged me to find a defect. He said he saw just one. I spent 30 minutes going through this $20,000 car. I couldn't find a single defect; it was perfect. The dealer later pointed out a small scratch on a piece of trim. I laughed. This was a $20k car produced in Ohio.

Congenital cataracts should only be removed in babies....as an adult it's a moot point. Seek second opinions next time.