Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible Service Center Experience for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a very frustrating experience today at the local service center. Quick background, running a 2018 Model X 100D. Scheduled weeks in advance to have the service center sort out the LCD panel turning yellow and check on why I hear a knocking noise during hard acceleration. Both issues well known in the community. Neither are safety issues.

Arrived on time at 0830 yesterday for the appointment. Was told pretty quickly this will likely take till end of day tomorrow. Not great but it is what it is. No loaner car as usual so took Uber home with the Tesla credit.

Next day, at 1000, no updates so messaged Tesla on the app. Just silence until mid-day when I see the vehicle status showing estimated completion at end of day (1715). By 1535, booked an Uber knowing traffic would take me 45-50 mins to get there, and also knowing the center closes at 1700. On my way up there in the Uber I finally get a message on the app that the vehicle won’t be completed until the end of the next day! For emphasis, I’m already in the Uber on my way up there and the app still says estimated completion at 1715. I reply on the app asking them to explain themselves. Their response was these things take time to fix. Sorry it doesn’t take 3 days to fix this knowing what others have had to wait. Asked to speak to a manager — no reply. Tried to call Tesla, the automated system deferred me to the app. Pretty much SOL at this point.

Out of desperation, called Tesla Delivery Services. Incredibly the guy who picked up was super nice and could access the vehicle status. He sees that my vehicle required a range of parts for the front motor all of which is in stock at the site which is likely why it’s taking longer. I had to state — why didn’t they tell me this in the first place and why did I have to call Tesla Delivery to get this info??

Received a new message via the Tesla app now saying they didn’t see why I had to get into an Uber and they are short on people due to sick leave. Finally my service agent calls me at 1725. Apologizes, commented he had 6 technicians out and they will do their best to get the car done tomorrow end of day. He was not able to update my app. Apparently by noon the technician they had switched and worked on another car which was falling behind schedule too.

Here’s my issue:
(1) why not just let me know it’ll be later and that is because of more extensive work needing to be done?

(2) the person responding on the Tesla app lacked any info nor cared to give more info. The fact that the Tesla app is the only life line to talk to anyone is ridiculous.

(3) being short on staff is a valid reason for delays but not an excuse to communicate well. I conveyed to the groups that I work in healthcare, and at our facility we have over 500 workers out due to COVID….yea we get it. But leaving a customer blind to plan their day is very inconsiderate.

Anyway interesting that Tesla Delivery was able to shed light so that was one positive learning moment. I’m sure others have experienced the less than ideal Tesla Service issues and I myself am still scarred by the experience leading up to Delivery in 2018 with lack of communication, conflicting information, and just pure frustration. Love the car. Running FSD 10.8. Preordered a new Model X for delivery next year and still sitting on my Cybertruck preorder. However for goodness sake can we get customer service to the next level? Not expecting this to be Porsche service experience 😂. Big picture, this is maybe my 3rd or 4th time at a service center ever, so yes the vehicle requires very few visits. However customer service matters even if you have a class leading technology. Will I jump ship? Probably not but we have pre-ordered a Rivian R1S and I’m sure Rivian will have growing pains. No rainbows and unicorns.

My adventure continues tomorrow (Friday) and knowing full well if they screw up again — no vehicle for the whole weekend.

Last edited:
Got baptized by Tesla I see.

I have not gone in for the trunk recall and MCU2 replacement yet because of possible runaround like yours.

I have worked many years dealing with customers. Communication is the most important thing. Something Tesla and Elon Musk still have not learned after half a decade of screwing around with customers after the 3 started rolling off their assembly line. Pre-3, Tesla service felt like Lexus service.

One major reason I want Toyota/Lexus to succeed in the EV game. Their experience is so much nicer on the service side. I always get updates so I know what to expect. If I leave a message, I always get a timely callback with an answer. I am eyeing on the Taco EV... if it ever get made that is.

Before the pandemic, and before the M3 and MY, service was great when I needed it (not often) and there was 2-way communications with the service centers. I have several vehicles including ICEs and all dealers are having the same issues, but there is always better communications with non-Tesla service centers. I just pray every time I read about these issues with Telsa centers that I don't have a need to take my MX into service. Maybe the bad press is their way to try and keep people for bringing their cars in unless it's real serious.

I've learned never to trust the estimated completion time in the Tesla app. If it's set for the end of the day just assume they will be keeping it another day or it officially says ready for pickup. Been burned by that and live 100mi from the SC. I've also stopped expecting any sort of transparency when it comes to first or third party repairs on a Tesla. Parts will be ordered, backordered, and mysteriously things will happen behind the scenes but expecting to be informed along the way is above and beyond these days. Also huge variations in individual SC performance... sounds like CA has some of the best&worst?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Yep - agree with everyones points/experience. Before I got my MX, had an X5. BMW was straight forward and treated customers well. Heck user of may Honda's prior and Honda was fine. I don't need them showering me with rose petals, just let me know when I can pick up my car..lol.
Customer service is key and interestingly that is where Tesla's competitors will be strong in.

I want to see Tesla succeed and stay "the leader", but there's a saying: "There is only one boss. The customer. And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down, simply by spending his money somewhere else." Companies that treat their customers poorly just because they're a leader don't do well in the long term especially if there are competitors. Tesla is ahead in many areas, but at some point it becomes a decision point for the customer to bear having a vehicle with perhaps less features, but customers are treated with some respect. Not sure if there's any former Comcast or Sprint users here, but historically bad customer experience there too. Plenty of people jumping ship when given the chance.

As of right now, I'm still waiting for my vehicle. But my general take is there's the people issue at the Service Centers, and there's also the company issue. The quality of hires at Tesla at least for the Service Centers I've seen are meh. However, the company also do not provide their staff with the tools needed to succeed. This focus on just doing everything through the app is great if it works. Amazon for example is a good one. If I have an issue with a delivery, they can call me or I can chat with them pretty quickly and things are resolved in most cases. At Tesla, you're always in limbo for even the smallest things.

In some ways I am dreading having to live through another Tesla delivery next year lol.

Reactions: Ormond
Interesting that OP has two lengthy posts complaining of poor Tesla service that will eventually be company's achilles heel. Then OP says he is buying another Tesla next year!
Not interesting. Pretty common. I’m sure there are plenty of us here that have bought our second and third Teslas knowing this weakness in Tesla. I likewise also own Tesla stock and have the Cybertruck pre-ordered. How interesting is that? Hard to miss this weakness since this Tesla experience is common at time of deliver for many especially in the early days of the company. As a side, having an Achilles heel doesn’t mean they’re going under. More importantly customer feedback such as this gives companies and their investors opportunities to fix things. As a final point, acknowledging their weakness but still liking their product highlight more of how embarrassing it would be to lose customers in the future for bad customer service given how much they have to offer. I likewise also have a Rivian R1S on deliver later this year — again Tesla has a good product but new options are showing up. Tesla remains in the lead. It’s up to them to retain that lead. So your point?

Not interesting. Pretty common. I’m sure there are plenty of us here that have bought our second and third Teslas knowing this weakness in Tesla. I likewise also own Tesla stock and have the Cybertruck pre-ordered. How interesting is that? Hard to miss this weakness since this Tesla experience is common at time of deliver for many especially in the early days of the company. As a side, having an Achilles heel doesn’t mean they’re going under. More importantly customer feedback such as this gives companies and their investors opportunities to fix things. As a final point, acknowledging their weakness but still liking their product highlight more of how embarrassing it would be to lose customers in the future for bad customer service given how much they have to offer. I likewise also have a Rivian R1S on deliver later this year — again Tesla has a good product but new options are showing up. Tesla remains in the lead. It’s up to them to retain that lead. So your point?
We are on our 5th Tesla, and I agree the service is not great. It’s just not bad enough for me personally to jump ship. But I could see others waking away after one too many bad experiences.

Reactions: croman
It's tough to see with Tesla, being both a car company and a tech company, and at times they've got the worst of both worlds. Service seems to be that and pride in quality control another. In a lot of ways it's a roll down effect from the top and less individual management of dealerships/service centers, but for a lot of us who buy Teslas, we could probably stomach paying for expensive repairs outside of warranty if the service was top notch, loners were Teslas, etc.

I'm returning back to a Model X after having driven my wife's Model 3 extensively the past two years. I will certainly miss my Porsche dealer and the absolute world class service I got there. That dealership knows how to run a great service and make good money from doing so.

It's tough to see with Tesla, being both a car company and a tech company, and at times they've got the worst of both worlds. Service seems to be that and pride in quality control another. In a lot of ways it's a roll down effect from the top and less individual management of dealerships/service centers, but for a lot of us who buy Teslas, we could probably stomach paying for expensive repairs outside of warranty if the service was top notch, loners were Teslas, etc.

I'm returning back to a Model X after having driven my wife's Model 3 extensively the past two years. I will certainly miss my Porsche dealer and the absolute world class service I got there. That dealership knows how to run a great service and make good money from doing so.
Dealerships make over 50% of their profit from service. You probably even took your car in for inspections on schedule and paid whatever bills they said you owed. Keeping us attached to service is the only way they a dealership can keep the doors open. As more and more people switch to low maintenance and really no scheduled maintenance EVs this profit center is going to dry up and it remains to be seen if dealerships, as we know them, will survive.

I say this as someone who grew up working in their parent's car repair shop and watched people spend a lot of money on car maintenance.

Last year, I brought the car in to have them fix the issue with the FWD rubbing and chipping the paint off from the body. A known issue. They f-ed up my doors alignment and after multiple attempts, the service advisors told me that I should bring mine to a body shop to have it looked at. Absolutely nut. The worst part is because of their screw up, I now have the wind noise from the wind entering the rear window. Another service center was able to readjust the FWD but it wasn't as good as before the Kato SC put their hands on it.
I was able to fix the noise myself but uggg. I have never had issue with Acura, Infiniti or Porsche services.

Had a very frustrating experience today at the local service center. Quick background, running a 2018 Model X 100D. Scheduled weeks in advance to have the service center sort out the LCD panel turning yellow and check on why I hear a knocking noise during hard acceleration. Both issues well known in the community. Neither are safety issues.

Arrived on time at 0830 yesterday for the appointment. Was told pretty quickly this will likely take till end of day tomorrow. Not great but it is what it is. No loaner car as usual so took Uber home with the Tesla credit.

Next day, at 1000, no updates so messaged Tesla on the app. Just silence until mid-day when I see the vehicle status showing estimated completion at end of day (1715). By 1535, booked an Uber knowing traffic would take me 45-50 mins to get there, and also knowing the center closes at 1700. On my way up there in the Uber I finally get a message on the app that the vehicle won’t be completed until the end of the next day! For emphasis, I’m already in the Uber on my way up there and the app still says estimated completion at 1715. I reply on the app asking them to explain themselves. Their response was these things take time to fix. Sorry it doesn’t take 3 days to fix this knowing what others have had to wait. Asked to speak to a manager — no reply. Tried to call Tesla, the automated system deferred me to the app. Pretty much SOL at this point.

Out of desperation, called Tesla Delivery Services. Incredibly the guy who picked up was super nice and could access the vehicle status. He sees that my vehicle required a range of parts for the front motor all of which is in stock at the site which is likely why it’s taking longer. I had to state — why didn’t they tell me this in the first place and why did I have to call Tesla Delivery to get this info??

Received a new message via the Tesla app now saying they didn’t see why I had to get into an Uber and they are short on people due to sick leave. Finally my service agent calls me at 1725. Apologizes, commented he had 6 technicians out and they will do their best to get the car done tomorrow end of day. He was not able to update my app. Apparently by noon the technician they had switched and worked on another car which was falling behind schedule too.

Here’s my issue:
(1) why not just let me know it’ll be later and that is because of more extensive work needing to be done?

(2) the person responding on the Tesla app lacked any info nor cared to give more info. The fact that the Tesla app is the only life line to talk to anyone is ridiculous.

(3) being short on staff is a valid reason for delays but not an excuse to communicate well. I conveyed to the groups that I work in healthcare, and at our facility we have over 500 workers out due to COVID….yea we get it. But leaving a customer blind to plan their day is very inconsiderate.

Anyway interesting that Tesla Delivery was able to shed light so that was one positive learning moment. I’m sure others have experienced the less than ideal Tesla Service issues and I myself am still scarred by the experience leading up to Delivery in 2018 with lack of communication, conflicting information, and just pure frustration. Love the car. Running FSD 10.8. Preordered a new Model X for delivery next year and still sitting on my Cybertruck preorder. However for goodness sake can we get customer service to the next level? Not expecting this to be Porsche service experience 😂. Big picture, this is maybe my 3rd or 4th time at a service center ever, so yes the vehicle requires very few visits. However customer service matters even if you have a class leading technology. Will I jump ship? Probably not but we have pre-ordered a Rivian R1S and I’m sure Rivian will have growing pains. No rainbows and unicorns.

My adventure continues tomorrow (Friday) and knowing full well if they screw up again — no vehicle for the whole weekend.
My recent experiences has me wondering about purchase number 5,6 & 7 on order. I guess Tesla doesn’t care when their product is the only one worth buying. My new motto for Tesla is, If it isn’t right at delivery, it will never be right. The W Las Vegas service center needs so much work!

I'm pretty concerned taking delivery of my X on Friday with the massive decline in service since 2108. When we first took delivery in 2016 it was amazing and I felt good about buying from Tesla.

Now it feels like a gamble and the house always wins.

Reactions: Dcam
You got it! comb over the car at delivery video both inside and out, take your time! If you can’t live with the defects reject it. Service is not capable nor do they desire to make anything before or after delivery right.

I want to know how to turn off the service mode from my app; I went to the service center after waiting eight days to fix the motor that moves the sit back and forward; by the way, this is the second time they have done that, first time took half of the day now eight days but since they never release my car I went and took it since it is insane that they have to keep my car for eight days, but the worst part that I had to wait four months to get the motor.

The question is, I removed the service mode from the car, but I have not been able to do it from my app. Does anybody knows how to do it ??

Times have changed. It used to be that when you purchased a vehicle, you became responsible for the servicing of that vehicle. You were required to read the manual, note the service intervals, and decide where you wanted to take it for service and repairs. You could pay more, and go to the stealership or to the local shade tree independant. You could pay more and get "factory parts" or try to save some $ on the aftermarket.
When you had an issue, you would read your warranty and see if you could get it covered, or have to pay for it yourself. Owners were constantly harping that everything cost too much, was not in stock, or they never get it right the first time, and I am tired of having to take it back.

What we are reading here, is really no different. Most want their vehicles to arrive perfect, never have problems, not want to pay for any repairs, want it done the first time and on time. That is a pretty high expectation, and sets up many for disappointment.

Realize that everything is not perfect, all things are not free, not every repair goes as planned or perfectly, sometimes things break, mechanics try to go a good job, but often fall short. Good faith estimates are not promises. Things often take longer than hoped, sometimes in life you may be without a car, and adapt.

Not unusual that hopes and expectations are not always reached. Postings on forums like these usually accomplish little, but many hope it will make them feel better by posting their woes, but in reality they are not better off.