Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla’s Autopilot app lives in a class of one" - Car and Driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's interesting that in the US, you only need to flick the indicator. The car then checks and automatically changes lane without input from the steering wheel.

In the EU, that's not the case: you need to flick the indicator and initiate the lane change with a slight turn of the wheel. This is most likely due to legislation over here and my personal belief is by nudging the wheel to initiate the lane change, it's implying YOU have checked and are not solely relying on the car's sensors to ensure the lane you're moving into is free and it's safe to do so.

I wonder what happens if on autopilot you want to start a lane change and there is traffic in the new lane. Do you get a warning more than just the display on the dash with the sonic pulses kind of thing? Will the car give feedback on the wheel to prevent you from changing lane?

These subtle differences have a major impact on the operation of the tech. Being lazy, I would like the car to initiate the move, but I would always visually check it's safe to do so before initiating the lane change by means of flicking the indicator stalk.

Here is a quote from the article: "Also to Tesla’s credit, this is the only car capable of hands-free lane changes. You simply use the turn signal the normal way and the Model S glides smoothly into the next lane after verifying that there’s space to do so safely. "
No pedantry necessary. The way that sentence is structured, it makes clear that the Model S does the "verifying". Basic grammar is all that is needed to understand the writer's meaning. But his meaning is factually inaccurate.
Yes, one of the most common errors in modern writing, the hanging participle - and there are hundreds in the Model S manual.

- - - Updated - - -

It's interesting that in the US, you only need to flick the indicator. The car then checks and automatically changes lane without input from the steering wheel.

In the EU, that's not the case: you need to flick the indicator and initiate the lane change with a slight turn of the wheel. This is most likely due to legislation over here and my personal belief is by nudging the wheel to initiate the lane change, it's implying YOU have checked and are not solely relying on the car's sensors to ensure the lane you're moving into is free and it's safe to do so.

I wonder what happens if on autopilot you want to start a lane change and there is traffic in the new lane. Do you get a warning more than just the display on the dash with the sonic pulses kind of thing? Will the car give feedback on the wheel to prevent you from changing lane?

These subtle differences have a major impact on the operation of the tech. Being lazy, I would like the car to initiate the move, but I would always visually check it's safe to do so before initiating the lane change by means of flicking the indicator stalk.

No, the car doesn't check - and the manual specifically warns: It is the driver's responsibility to determine whether a lane change is safe and appropriate. Auto Lane change cannot detect oncoming traffic in the target lane, especially fast moving vehicles from the rear. So, no, the car won't prevent you from changing lane (other than by getting a bump in the back end).

I haven't found what you describe in your second para, either - you have to do more than flick the lever - you have to 'engage' it - and you don't have to turn the wheel (which might disengage Autosteer).

Looking forward to reading this piece, C/D doesn't always get everything right but I love their style and have mostly agreed with their opinions.

I just came out of a P85+ loaner, it sure was a very healthy 1 sec. 0-60 faster, and had leather, lighting, etc. but I was squirming to get the AP and safety features (and my car in general of course) back... I'm one to readily adopt new stuff and then miss it immediately when it's gone... like the old Mercedes position of the turn stalk now I have to un-re-learn that :smile:

I waits till there is space to move into.

What's funny about the lane change thing is that everyone is taught early on to check the blind spot before changing lanes-- and so that's what most people do. However, when using autopilot to change lanes, checking the blind spot is unneccessary-- the car does it for you. The checking you need to do is with the mirrors, looking for a fast approaching car.

I wonder how many people do this, as opposed to just instinctively checking the blind spot?

What's funny about the lane change thing is that everyone is taught early on to check the blind spot before changing lanes-- and so that's what most people do. However, when using autopilot to change lanes, checking the blind spot is unneccessary-- the car does it for you. The checking you need to do is with the mirrors, looking for a fast approaching car.

I wonder how many people do this, as opposed to just instinctively checking the blind spot?

Yes, I think about this all the time. It is so mandatory, in conventional driving to ALWAYS do a shoulder check. Well, I did, but that hurt my neck! I did it anyway. Now, I check the mirrors and AP does the rest. Love it!

I do the shoulder check for blind spot because I don't trust the sensor and the car 100% for auto lane change. If there is an accident, the driver is still responsible. I might be more trusting if radar and more cameras are added in the future.

"Tesla’s Autopilot app lives in a class of one" - Car and Driver

I do the shoulder check for blind spot because I don't trust the sensor and the car 100% for auto lane change. If there is an accident, the driver is still responsible. I might be more trusting if radar and more cameras are added in the future.
I agree.
There are too many articles online that blithely state something like this: "The Tesla Autopilot will do an automatic lane change once the car checks the lane you want to change into."
This is sloppy language at best, and dangerous ignorance at worst. Yes, the car's ultrasonic sensors will prevent an auto lane change if they detect an obstacle but their detection range is limited to 16 ft. If a vehicle is coming up on you rapidly in that lane but is more than 16 ft. away the car will not be able to detect it and will start the auto lane change. And then serious problems may ensue: sure the car might detect the oncoming vehicle as it moves into the new lane and then try to steer away from it but you cannot count on that, and the oncoming driver may freak out when they see you moving into their lane and veer out of the lane and potentially strike another vehicle.
You need to visually check your mirrors and rear view camera image before initiating an auto lane change. Don't depend on the ultrasonics.

Last edited: