Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla’s FSD Beta 10.2 Coming This Friday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The next update to Tesla’s FSD Beta will be available to qualifying drivers on Friday, Chief Executive Elon Musk said.

Version 10.2 will be rolled out to about 1,000 Tesla owners who have requested access and achieved a perfect Safety Score. Version 10.1 offered an option to request access to the FSD Beta software. The beta was previously only available to a limited number of testers.

By requesting access, owners give Tesla permission to evaluate their driving to create a Safety Score. The Safety Score is an assessment of driving behavior based on five metrics called Safety Factors. These are combined to estimate the likelihood that driving could result in a future collision.

Musk said on Twitter that the update will include a “long list of mostly little items” and that the “driving experience is significantly better.”

However, Musk also noted that Tesla’s neural networks have more data for certain areas of the U.S., so the FSD experience will likely vary.

Last edited by a moderator:
... So, I suggest another "rules change" (announced beforehand or not) before the software is actually released. There you have it, my unsolicited prediction!
Don't forget the constant walking back of the rollout. Everyone gets it, then only 1000/day at 100, 99, 98 (implying a continuous daily flow), then only people with "perfect" scores and pause for a "while", then whatever it is we're doing now with this unforeseen delay.

Either there's no set plan or the plan is being masked by wildly exaggerated misstatements.

You sound bitter.
1633800450803.png

All it would take is one or two unfortunate high publicity events to set the whole roll out back significantly for everyone.
Yes, in its current form, it's hard to imagine adding 1,000 drivers to the 70 or 80 who are out there
already, with wily ways of having 100 scores masking their true diving nature. As you say, all it would
take is just one bozo to think that "Hey, I can now go do what commercial pilot Chuck Cook keeps doing,
unprotected lefts with insane cross-traffic -- the software must be way better by now for that so let's
leave the driving to FSD!"

Less cynically, I'm a San Francisco driver with a mere 96 score, and I bet there aren't many who drive a lot
around here with perfect 100's, so I feel safer for now. The 100's are probably in leafy suburbs
like Twin Peaks, so the program seems designed somewhat reasonably. It will be interesting to see
the geographic distribution when it rolls out.

Reactions: WattPwr
Yes, in its current form, it's hard to imagine adding 1,000 drivers to the 70 or 80 who are out there
already, with wily ways of having 100 scores masking their true diving nature. As you say, all it would
take is just one bozo to think that "Hey, I can now go do what commercial pilot Chuck Cook keeps doing,
unprotected lefts with insane cross-traffic -- the software must be way better by now for that so let's
leave the driving to FSD!"

Less cynically, I'm a San Francisco driver with a mere 96 score, and I bet there aren't many who drive a lot
around here with perfect 100's, so I feel safer for now. The 100's are probably in leafy suburbs
like Twin Peaks, so the program seems designed somewhat reasonably. It will be interesting to see
the geographic distribution when it rolls out.
Yes, ever aspect of the FSD rollout is one big mine field to be navigated by Tesla to balance safety, customer desires, regulators scrutiny, and media/haters fud manipulation. I think Tesla has actually done pretty well so far.
A friend once said that when one is in a no win situation try to please everyone, you know you have found a decent balance when everybody is equally unhappy. This is probably the case here.

I totally relate to the disappointment being expressed here. I love, love, love my Tesla, exactly as it is today. I use AP frequently, but I also like to disengage it to drive the car manually because it's such a pleasure to drive, the best driving car I've ever owned in my 4+ decades of driving. But I am also very interested in the FSD tech, and can't wait to experience it for myself on city streets. Like most of you-all, I am very impatient and want it TODAY.

But you know what? This is just a boundary problem. In a few weeks or months, all this anxious waiting will be behind us (even those like me with wretched safety scores) and we'll be living the dream with an amazing FSD capability. And the memory of this period we're in now will quickly fade.

Hang in there my friends! We'll get there, all of us. When you 100-scorers get the beta (and I sincerely hope you get it in the next 24 to 48 hours), you can be sure that I won't be the only sub-100 person avidly reading your every comment and watching your every video. Can't wait!!

Peace all,
Michael

As one of those 100+ that still have 100%.. I will wait until it its good enough to test. I invested knowing this is not ready yet. I am not one of those that demand it, nor say the are entitled. Look up what a beta means. lol

As someone else said, in 1 month, a year or 5 years we will all look back and this will be a memory.. and my car will be flying!!! lol

Yes, ever aspect of the FSD rollout is one big mine field to be navigated by Tesla to balance safety, customer desires, regulators scrutiny, and media/haters fud manipulation. I think Tesla has actually done pretty well so far. [ Content respectfully edited for brevity ]

Totally agree, ADinM3. Tesla is pushing the envelope in order to innovate, and that can be a difficult position to be in. At the end of the day, if FSD is substantially safer than human drivers, then it's a win for humanity. But of course there will be accidents, and the first fatal one that can be unambiguously blamed on FSD will cause a lot of teeth-gnashing, which isn't inappropriate. Once we get through a few of those, then it will become a straight-up statistical analysis to demonstrate that FSD is safer than humans (if it is).

But between here and there will be a rocky road. If it weren't for Tesla's willingness to take on risk, we wouldn't have come nearly this far. The giant auto makers have too much to lose, and risk aversion is in their nature. A small, new, scrappy company like Tesla is needed to move the entire industry into this new frontier.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Michael

It would really suck if someone had a 100 and gets bumped with the new date because of a different method of choosing due to much more people getting a 100 with the extra time. This would only be true if they don't give it to everyone who has a 100.

It would really suck if someone had a 100 and gets bumped with the new date because of a different method of choosing due to much more people getting a 100 with the extra time. This would only be true if they don't give it to everyone who has a 100.
I mean that is still assuming Elons tweet about everyone with a 100 getting it was going to happen anyway. We literally don't know if that was going to be the case had the update not been delayed. No one really knows anything lol. I mean for all we know they could have pushed it back a few days to just do extra testing because the amount of 100 scores increased and they wanted to be more confident in a wider initial rollout. We literally all have no idea and have to remember its all info off of loose Elon tweets

I got a real good laugh at the inverted Tesla logo. That just about sums it all up, driving a high performance car like a granny for the past 2 weeks, caring more about the stupid scorecard than being a considerate and safe driver, for what, the opportunity to continue to piss off the other drivers! Realistically, the way AP brakes for stoplights, and crawls away when behind stopped traffic is not the way most drivers act. Maybe the techno geeks who write the software drive like that, but real world driving is somewhat different. Glad I scored 99, so don’t have to fret anymore…..until Elon’s next carrot gets dangled in front of our noses.

I totally relate to the disappointment being expressed here. I love, love, love my Tesla, exactly as it is today. I use AP frequently, but I also like to disengage it to drive the car manually because it's such a pleasure to drive, the best driving car I've ever owned in my 4+ decades of driving. But I am also very interested in the FSD tech, and can't wait to experience it for myself on city streets. Like most of you-all, I am very impatient and want it TODAY.

But you know what? This is just a boundary problem. In a few weeks or months, all this anxious waiting will be behind us (even those like me with wretched safety scores) and we'll be living the dream with an amazing FSD capability. And the memory of this period we're in now will quickly fade.

Hang in there my friends! We'll get there, all of us. When you 100-scorers get the beta (and I sincerely hope you get it in the next 24 to 48 hours), you can be sure that I won't be the only sub-100 person avidly reading your every comment and watching your every video. Can't wait!!

Peace all,
Michael
Replace the "100 score" parts of this post with more generic "FSD" and it reads exactly like 2016 again.
Good luck, but don't over-expect.