Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s Navigation estimate factors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Have a question regarding what factors Tesla’s navigation system takes into account when calculating charge remaining for a trip. Distance, altitude, current charge status I’m aware of. Is the history wh-mile of your individual car also factored in? Weather?

I have a 2016 p90 X and am about to take a ski trip, and have an initial leg of trip that is 186 miles with really no superchargers or EV charging options inbeteeen. A few times in my garage I have put in the destination into the navigation to gauge my ability to make it and I get anywhere from 2 to 12% remaining charge. Unsure what additional factors are being considered to make the estimate change. (Yes I have used evtripplanner but I’m more curious specifically how tesla’s own software makes this estimate).

Thanks.

Usually the built in conservative. I would plug in the destination to abetterrouteplanner.com and add in some headwind and road condition and temp. See what it has to say.

I too have a X90D and 184 with cold temp, wind, and wet/rain roads could be tight. You will def want to start out keeping speeds lower, maybe 65mph and draft a truck if possible. Keep an eye on the energy trip pop out as that is the most accurate measurement that the car will show. If you are seeing that 12% climb up you may want to increase speeds.

Have a question regarding what factors Tesla’s navigation system takes into account when calculating charge remaining for a trip. Distance, altitude, current charge status I’m aware of. Is the history wh-mile of your individual car also factored in? Weather?
Best I can tell it uses your recent consumption along with expected distance and elevation gains/losses. As you drive the car the consumption refreshes and you can watch the estimate change. Slow down and you will have more range, speed up less. Encounter weather and you can either gain range (tailwind) or loose range (headwind). It's also amazing how much effect precipitation has on these cars.

To summarize, it does not include in it's initial estimate (the effect of these get factored in from the recent consumption):
  • Your driving style
  • Speed
  • Outside temperature
  • Cabin control settings
  • Battery heating (S/X) - watch out for cold soaked batteries
  • Winds (constantly changing based on location and course)
  • Precipitation
  • Road conditions (ie snow buildup)
  • Expected traffic