Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 isn't perfect, but after a full day rental this BMW driver is buying one!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What did you think of the ergonomics of the center screen and no center binnacle? I hear very few people complaining about this now that more cars are out in the wild.
Personally, I find the speedometer position and size much easier to read than any of my previous cars with analog gauges.
If anything it may be too prominent, everybody else in the car knows how fast you are going. and what the speed limit is.

I was surprised at how quickly I adapted to it. It didn't bother me even a little to not have the front binnacle. Obviously most of the gauge information such as RPMs are useless on an electric car but I really expected that I would need to glance off the road to see at least the speedo reading but that is not the case. The screen on the Model 3 is positioned in such a way that the speed was always visible in my peripheral vision.

I have an X1 35i (E84) and one of the reasons i bought it was it still had hydraulic sterring and I am impressed with model 3 steering feel but there are some quirks sometimes it seems to magnify road bumps through the steering too much. Overall steering feel is much better than in the 3 series (F30) which many incessantly complain about.

Steering wheel in model 3 is nice and thick but could use some extra paddling though.

Yes, coming from the superb wheel in my M-sport edition 3 series the steering wheel in the Model 3 was a little underwhelming... the biggest gripe for me also was the lack of padding, the steering wheel is kind of rock hard.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J and GSP
I think our automakers would be more afraid if Tesla actually managed to ship any Model 3s outside the US.

With "more afraid" being the key words since "afraid" is already happening with S sales:

Tesla Model S outsells Mercedes S Class and BMW 7 Series in Europe

And with the 3 in California:

Tesla Model 3 Outselling Mercedes-Benz C-Class and BMW 3-Series in California | News | Car and Driver

It really should be outright panic for them. But you can boil a frog slowly and they've clearly shown us that they are frogs, or we should perhaps turn the analogy to ostriches with their heads in the sand, while Tesla builds tons of supercharges in concrete.

In any event, the cat's out of the bad, and Tesla's coming for all of those old horse carriage makers of today, and history won't be kind to them since those at the top have repeatedly shown that they are not willing to concede to the inevitable...

The death of the internal combustion engine

Jürgen Pieper, an analyst at Bankhaus Metzler in Frankfurt, stated:

“BMW has lost its leadership in innovation. It’s not brave enough to get into pioneering projects and do something really new.”

That there is the kiss of death. It's too bad really because the competition would be nice, but I've been saying that for so many years now, while BMW executives sit in boiling water promoting the ICE.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have to teach people how to exit a car.
This has become the very first thing I tell people when they first get in the Model 3. It reminds me of when I used to fly Cessnas...the safety briefing for passengers. But after this one piece of advice is given (and frankly it's given for my sake, since it's not a life-safety issue it's a preservation of rubber gasket issue), anyone who's in the car for the first time can then simply relax and be blown away.

everybody else in the car knows how fast you are going. and what the speed limit is.
3 months and 5k miles in, I wish the speedo real estate also contained the time of day and outside temp. But hey.
As for the posted speeds, beware relying on that. I've found it to be wrong VERY often.
I've also found that the onboard map has stale traffic data often as well, which results in my using Google Maps on my phone (or Waze on my phone). This is frustrating, but can be fixed OTA at some stage presumably.

This has become the very first thing I tell people when they first get in the Model 3.

Well that's strange since it's only on one of the three passenger doors. I can see you telling the front seat passenger, but there's no need when it comes to the back seats. I haven't told anyone to see if my wife and kids could figure it out and they did. It's not rocket science and I'm not Uber driving people around so I don't see it as a concern. I like it there in case I go over a cliff, or into a lake, and the power is cut. But then I'll probably forget about it anyway.

The trunk was also different. Like a giant fish mouth. Very dark in the showroom so I couldn’t get a good feeling how much it would hold.
Our big test of Model 3's storage was a few weeks ago, when four of us plus bags plus 20qt cooler plus 2 awkward Tommy Bahama beach chairs all made our way to and from the beach. The frunk and trunk were filled, but we didn't have to relent and store stuff in the car cabin with us. I was shocked, particularly given the unwieldy size of the beach chairs, the cooler, and my wife's carryon rollaboard.
If there is one lesson to be learned when road-tripping with a family of four in the Model 3, it is that soft-sided baggage is the move. Any baggage that demands to hold its shape is going to limit your ability to store things.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and brkaus
Ninja,

Glad you liked the car, and experience. As I have said many times over the past 3 years (Since I drove a Tesla) the overall driving experience cannot be beat. 0-60, HP, size comparisons do not really convince anyone. Driving a Tesla does. Note I say driving a Tesla, not driving an EV. A Leaf while a nice car would not evoke the reactions a Tesla does. And as you know my thoughts are that Tesla alone has caused the entire industry to scramble to compete. Most of them will die or ask for bailouts, and quicker than most believe. This is a good read from last year. The death of the internal combustion engine

BMW executives sit in boiling water promoting the ICE.
My 2002 (E39) BMW 5-series is the least reliable car I've ever owned (I'm 47), other than a Volvo XC90 wagon we had for a few years. I'll never own another BMW (nor Volvo), based purely on the fact that BMW's engineers planned so much part failure into the car it was absolutely stunning to the point of being almost comical. Great car for five years. Then all hell broke loose (usually literally). Any plastic or rubber part had to be replaced between Years 6-11 (when I finally gave up on it), sometimes twice. The only path I'd take with a BMW would be via a lease. But it's academic anyway, since EVs are all I will ever own now, and BMW's thus far is a joke.

Reactions: Canuck
I would imagine that it would be encrypted. But let's for the sake of argument say that someone is able to hack and unencrypt it. Wouldn't they still need my finger or eye to be able to get into the car?

That’s not how biometrics work. You can’t encrypt your fingerprint or iris. The point is once a biometric scanner is tricked into accepting fakes it’s really hard to actually fix. Biometrics are for identity not security.

If you don't like the horrible key card, you can always try the horrible phone key.
Seriously tesla needs to just offer a fob and end this madness.

In one of Elon's tweet, he mentioned that using only phone/key card was a mistake in response to the Consumer Reports release. There have been rumors that they are could possibly be working on a fob but no tangible evidence.

I have had good success with the phone key. I leave Bluetooth turned off on my iPhone. I usually have my phone in my hand so when I need to drive, I swipe up, click Bluetooth on, and without any delay I can open the door immediately. Either that or I lock/unlock the car directly from the app. Super easy compared to fidgeting with keys especially since I have my phone in hand (but then again... I am a millennial who can't be separated more than 3 feet from my phone).

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J
So, a question if BMW's current (and now upcoming next gen) 3 series were electric with comparable range and pricing would you pick the Tesla over it or stick with the BMW? My assumption is the power/acceleration/drive would be similar.

Would supercharging/AP/interior tech win out over the other BMW attributes or vice versa?

Reactions: kablammyman
I have had good success with the phone key. I leave Bluetooth turned off on my iPhone. I usually have my phone in my hand so when I need to drive, I swipe up, click Bluetooth on,
That is a far inferior operation to simply walking up with a fob in your pocket. If you were having success with the phone key you wouldn't have turn your bluetooth off and on all the time.

So when Apple says Face ID is secured, they are lying? I'm shocked.

FaceID, touchID, etc have all been defeated. Apple says FaceID is much more secure than touchID. Not that it is impenetrable. FaceID is for convenience on a device I never let get more than a few feet from me. I’m guessing you don’t put your car in your pocket.

You don’t have to hack biometrics. You leave your fingerprints and images of your face everywhere. Again, biometrics are not for security. Feel free to do some research if you think that I’m incorrect.

So, a question if BMW's current (and now upcoming next gen) 3 series were electric with comparable range and pricing would you pick the Tesla over it or stick with the BMW? My assumption is the power/acceleration/drive would be similar.

Would supercharging/AP/interior tech win out over the other BMW attributes or vice versa?

I’d honestly be very torn if BMW came out with a car that was an EV with comparable specs to the tesla. Id follow my rule tho... never own a bmw. Only lease.

• Funny
Reactions: pkalhan