Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 isn't perfect, but after a full day rental this BMW driver is buying one!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a common opinion and it probably resonates with a BMW owner but it is not mine. I just don't stomp on the go pedal much at all.
Neither do I. There's a response you become accustomed to with an EV that is just a new expectation. My wife and I were both mostly taken off guard in roundabouts in Europe, where merging and accelerating out of the turn are important. We were used to instant pedal-motion interaction, and we felt handicapped by the ICE response. It was more about safe and comfortable merging and less about speeding around.

Worth noting that our rentals weren't premium vehicles, so we probably had even more of a gap in the responsiveness category.

Reactions: tccartier
How would you say the ride quality and noise levels were - particularly road noise - compared to your 3 series? After driving a Model S for a couple of years now, I realize I do miss some of build quality and NVH deltas that other manufacturers seem to have down better. Heck, even a Bolt is quieter in many circumstances. The strong early reviews of the Jaguar i-Pace make me wonder if Supercharging could be their only carrot if other manufacturers come out with solid offerings right out of the gate.

Reactions: GSP and Teslie
How would you say the ride quality and noise levels were - particularly road noise - compared to your 3 series? After driving a Model S for a couple of years now, I realize I do miss some of build quality and NVH deltas that other manufacturers seem to have down better. Heck, even a Bolt is quieter in many circumstances. The strong early reviews of the Jaguar i-Pace make me wonder if Supercharging could be their only carrot if other manufacturers come out with solid offerings right out of the gate.

Good question and was a concern area of mine going in.

The ride is just a bit firmer than on my 340xi, this was only noticeable in a negative way when going over things like concrete apron roadways where the bouncing in the car going over road sections was a little more pronounced.

In other ways as I’ve described the ride and handling are simply better, sharper turn-in, tight lock to lock steering, steering feels more precise and less “numb”..Much more lively to drive . I certainly didn’t experience any ‘pothole explosions’ when going over small imperfections on the road but I also wasn’t seeking those out.

Road noise was a non issue, it was at least as quiet as my BMW and probably more so. The car also had no squeaks, rattles, knocks or noisy door seals from what I could tell and I am particularly sensitive to those things.

Good question and was a concern area of mine going in.

The ride is just a bit firmer than on my 340xi, this was only noticeable in a negative way when going over things like concrete apron roadways where the bouncing in the car going over road sections was a little more pronounced.

In other ways as I’ve described the ride and handling are simply better, sharper turn-in, tight lock to lock steering, steering feels more precise and less “numb”..Much more lively to drive . I certainly didn’t experience any ‘pothole explosions’ when going over small imperfections on the road but I also wasn’t seeking those out.

Road noise was a non issue, it was at least as quiet as my BMW and probably more so. The car also had no squeaks, rattles, knocks or noisy door seals from what I could tell and I am particularly sensitive to those things.

What type of roads are you driving on by the way? I'm in Texas and my Model S is OK on blacktop, but on concrete roadways (or heavy aggregate blacktop) it is markedly louder than any BMW we've ever owned (even after swapping my noisy 21" PS2s for the 19" foam filled Goodyear tourings on slipstreams). This is one of those deltas that can make one person declare it is quiet, while another says it howls. Finally, which suspension do you have on your 340? Base? M-Sport? Adaptive?

Reactions: tccartier
What type of roads are you driving on by the way? I'm in Texas and my Model S is OK on blacktop, but on concrete roadways (or heavy aggregate blacktop) it is markedly louder than any BMW we've ever owned (even after swapping my noisy 21" PS2s for the 19" foam filled Goodyear tourings on slipstreams). This is one of those deltas that can make one person declare it is quiet, while another says it howls. Finally, which suspension do you have on your 340? Base? M-Sport? Adaptive?

The BMW has the standard x-drive suspension which was revamped to be firmer and less bouncy for the 2016 model year. The only other option is adaptive on the x-drive cars.

The roads were a combination of concrete roadways (which are quite common in Colorado) and asphalt/pebble aggregate stuff. Maybe a bit of blacktop.

There’s no question the Tesla is a little stiffer than the bmw but for me that’s not a bad thing. If you have doubts I would rent the car as I did and make sure you get a model with the newer dampeners.

Need to also add $5k to these numbers since most folks who buy a Tesla also get autopilot. Most people seem to feel that AP is pretty much obligatory.

I'm most interested in the $50k AWD, PUP, AP version.

Paying an additional $9k for LR and putting the price at $59k ($60k after the destination and doc fee) for the extra range is just a stretch too far imo.

The point of showing the 9 configs like that is that Paint, Wheels, and Software (EAP / FSD) can be added or not to any hardware config listed. If you go adding those 4 into the mix there are dozens of configs. (right now it was 2^3+1=9, add paint, wheels, EAP, and FSD and it goes to 2^7+1=129. 129 combinations just isn't reasonable to put in a post like that)

But knowing the 9 main hardware configs gives you the information you need to know build order preferences and see combinations Tesla doesn't promote. Then you can add paint, wheels, and software if you want.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
Don't get model 3. you and your wife will be fighting who gets to drive it if you do, speaking from experience. Get some crap car neither of you like to drive. :)

I have first hand experience with this. My wife was not a fan of Tesla or EVs. I ordered a Model 3 anyway. I asked her to try it. Then it became "her car". My son half joked that "we should have never let mom try it" (because he would love to drive it after school). Luckily now the AWD Model 3 is available. This time I will tell her my AWD is not that good.:)

@voip-ninja: Not sure if you saw my post on my experience with a Turo rental back in January:

Tesla Model 3 Renter's Review - Jan 2018

I too am a current BMW owner (an E46; 2000 323i) who will be replacing it with a Model 3. I received my invite on 4/18. After sitting on the fence for a couple of months, I finally broke down earlier today and placed my order for an LR/PUP/MSM/Aero. My initial desire included AWD but my reservation says I probably will not see it until late this year.

In my mind there still are some "negative" points about the car that I listed in my thread but I understand them and am willing to wait until an OTA takes care of the problem, find a work around or just live with it. The E46, while it hasn't given me any drivetrain problems, has failed on me numerous times in the electro-mechanical area (all of the window regulators have been replaced at least once; several are on their third one and now the front passenger window is again starting to make crackling noises when going up and down). It's been a great car for the past 18 years and 192,000 miles. Hopefully the Model 3 will run as long and as far without any major issues.

Tesla 3 isn't perfect, but after a full day rental this BMW driver is buying one!

Spoken like a true BMW owner: "Tesla's not perfect, but I'm buying one anyway." Thanks for educating us. Without you telling us this, we'd still be thinking Tesla was perfect -- when anyone with half a brain knows perfection rests only with BMW -- and they sure are close to perfect -- as my wife thought too. Now only if they will finally get on with building a fast charging network, and long range EVs like Tesla, since I couldn't care less about anything in a BMW that may beat out Tesla, as long as there's an ICE under the hood. To me, it's like comparing a really nice horse buggy interior, handling, etc. vs. a Model T. Yes, those old carriage makers sure did it well -- with a long tradition behind them, so perhaps using that analogy you can see why some of us have no interest in them -- perfection or not. I was so happy to kick my wife's BMW out the door.

OP, your review makes it clear why BMW 3-series market share is tanking as Model 3's rises. What's interesting to me is that as a former 2002 BMW535 owner, I find the interior of my Model 3 to feel as large/roomy as my 535 did so it's odd to me that Model 3 is compared to 3-series rather than 5-series. I suppose on exterior dimensions, but to me interior is what counts.

I'm very confused by what people report on the interior size of the Model 3. Some praise the roominess, especially when compared to the cramped Model S interior (mainly rear seats that is), while others say the Model 3 feels really cramped.
Going from what I have seen so far from pictures and review videos I would tend to go with those who think the Model 3 is quite spacious, but not having had the chance to personally sit in one yet, I still wonder why quite a few people call it cramped.

Folks, it's already beating top competitors for total sales in this class. Yes, Germans are very much afraid I would presume.

I think our automakers would be more afraid if Tesla actually managed to ship any Model 3s outside the US. They might get afraid sometime next year, or whenever we get our first Model 3s. Up to then, it's all conjecture how the Model 3 will do outside the US. I think Tesla themselves know that the US will be (and stay) the most important Model 3 market, hence why they pushed back worldwide deliveries time and time again.

Oh and I own TSLA stock, so don't think I'm a bear. And I would still be happy if I got the Model 3 I reserved on day 1 sometime soon - which unfortunately won't happen as it seems - which is why I got an e-Golf now for the time being.

@voip-ninja You don`t happen to have a comparison to a recent e-class, do you? ;)

Thank you very much for this hands on. You are one of the few here who doesn`t simply cheer the moment the Tesla logo appears somewhere which makes this much more valuable an opinion to me than most enthusiast reviews.

That the interior can`t even keep up with a 3 series while stumbling into e-class/5-series territory price wise and the stiff suspension are huge bummers for me, though :(
I´m also really looking forward to seeing how the 3LR`s range keeps up when it finally arrives on our Autobahn, so far I´ve not seen range tests beyond the 80mph mark.

Last edited:
I'm very confused by what people report on the interior size of the Model 3. Some praise the roominess, especially when compared to the cramped Model S interior (mainly rear seats that is), while others say the Model 3 feels really cramped.
Going from what I have seen so far from pictures and review videos I would tend to go with those who think the Model 3 is quite spacious, but not having had the chance to personally sit in one yet, I still wonder why quite a few people call it cramped.
This is an interesting observation.

I finally sat in a 3 this past weekend. I thought it looked cramped, but it felt very reasonable.

My wife observed no legroom in back looking in the car, but once we adjusted the front to where we would sit it was fine. I’m 5’10”.

From the outside, looking at it compared to an S, it looks small. Sitting inside, with the higher roof and the glass it felt large.

The trunk was also different. Like a giant fish mouth. Very dark in the showroom so I couldn’t get a good feeling how much it would hold.

I’m planning on renting one before I purchase. Now I’m going to rent one sooner.

If it had a heated steering wheel, I’d just order.

@voip-ninja You don`t happen to have a comparison to a recent e-class, do you? ;)

Thank you very much for this hands on. You are one of the few here who doesn`t simply cheer the moment the Tesla logo appears somewhere which makes this much more valuable an opinion to me than most enthusiast reviews.

That the interior can`t even keep up with a 3 series while stumbling into e-class/5-series territory price wise and the stiff suspension are huge bummers for me, though :(
I´m also really looking forward to seeing how the 3LR`s range keeps up when it finally arrives on our Autobahn, so far I´ve not seen range tests beyond the 80mph mark.

Sorry, I've only been in the newest generation C class recently, not the E class. Tesla 3, to most users who own current German products such as C class, A4/5, BMW 3/4 series will view the interior as somewhere between a slight downgrade to a serious downgrade.

On the other hand it says a lot about the car that I can overlook this and proceed anyways.... the rest of the car is really that good.

I think that Tesla will have to raise the bar on their interior in a few years when real electrified competition shows up from luxury auto makers that put luxury cabins in their cars.

I think that Tesla will have to raise the bar on their interior in a few years when real electrified competition shows up from luxury auto makers that put luxury cabins in their cars.
Unfortunately, we've been saying this exact thing for at least the 4 years I've been on this forum. I remain hopeful that the competition is just around the corner, though I've tempered my enthusiasm a bit. For a while other manufacturers' EV programs consisted of press releases and promises, but no competitive products.

Unfortunately, we've been saying this exact thing for at least the 4 years I've been on this forum. I remain hopeful that the competition is just around the corner, though I've tempered my enthusiasm a bit. For a while other manufacturers' EV programs consisted of press releases and promises, but no competitive products.
I think we`ll be lucky this time. Dieselgate and WLTP forced the hands of the german carmakers at least. They will face draconian fines if they don`t push a lot of EVs to the market till 2020 to get their fleet`s co2 average down.

I hope you're wrong but you are probably right!

If nothing else motivates the competition though, lost sales will do it. That looks to be shaping up to be a real problem for the Germans in 2019.

I think we`ll be lucky this time. Dieselgate and WLTP forced the hands of the german carmakers at least. They will face draconian fines if they don`t push a lot of EVs to the market till 2020 to get their fleet`s co2 average down.

Further the iPace, while still a year out, is providing actual drivable vehicles for press reviews. It looks to be vaguely "higher trim Model Y"/"unused Model X but new". Jag isn't exactly renown for mechanical dependability but they've tended towards higher end interior finish/materials (if garish at times) so, production quantity depending, it is looking like a real EV option for that price-point.

Charging network of course is still the big question for non-Teslas but that settlement you mention also covers at least some capital investment there.

Further the iPace, while still a year out, is providing actual drivable vehicles for press reviews. It looks to be vaguely "higher trim Model Y"/"unused Model X but new". Jag isn't exactly renown for mechanical dependability but they've tended towards higher end interior finish/materials (if garish at times) so, production quantity depending, it is looking like a real EV option for that price-point.
Competition is always good. So hopefully other car companies will offer some liable EVs.

Sorry, I've only been in the newest generation C class recently, not the E class. Tesla 3, to most users who own current German products such as C class, A4/5, BMW 3/4 series will view the interior as somewhere between a slight downgrade to a serious downgrade.

On the other hand it says a lot about the car that I can overlook this and proceed anyways.... the rest of the car is really that good.

... and, just to inject some perspective in here for the rest of us who could afford to, but never saw the practicality of purchasing vehicles in that stratosphere ...

My last 4 vehicles were/are: 2018 Toyota Highlander Ltd, 2012 VW Touareg TDI Execline, 2012 Chevy Volt Premium and 2010 VW Sportwagen TDI Highline. These are all the top-of-the-line trim packages. IMHO the Model 3 interior is vastly superior to all of them. Well, except for the fingerprints I have to keep wiping off the centre console.