Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 isn't perfect, but after a full day rental this BMW driver is buying one!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just traded in my manual 2006 e90 325xi last Friday for a model 3 with 19" sport wheels.
I can make very similar comparisons between the two. (I also love my Tesla so far)

My BMW wasn't particularly quick (I think it had 215 hp) so the Tesla is certainly much quicker. I agree with@voip-ninja that while the model 3 is quick from a stop, where you really notice the acceleration is when you are already at speed. It's very impressive how much passing acceleration there is when going 50. The other really noticeable thing is how smooth everything is. I never realized how much of the vibration in an ICE comes from the engine (even after reading everybody mentioning it) Its funny even though the car is fast, the smoothness makes me want to drive it slow while trying to be as smooth as possible. I'm still training my brain to be as smooth with one pedal driving and regen.
I also found out that my kids are keenly comparing my speed to the speed limit shown on the screen. My son was giving me a hard time for going 27 in a 25 zone.

Regarding the seats, The Tesla seats are definitely much softer than the sport seats I had in my BMW. I've noticed that BMW's generally seem to have seats with what feels like thick firm leather. I've always found them very nice, but some people may think they are too firm. I also really like the extendable thigh support that the BMW seats had.
All that being said, I think the Tesla seats are very comfortable. They are just different. The ultra leather material (or whatever it is) is much more compliant than the leather BMW uses. The ultra leather is also much smoother than traditional leather. It doesn't have the texture or grain of real leather, and I think that's what people expect in a nice seat or steering wheel, so when it's not there my initial reaction is to think its inferior, but I'm not really sure that's true.
The Tesla seats seem to be very supportive, so that's good. They have good side bolstering, but are a bit wider than my BMW. I haven't gone on a long drive yet so we'll see how they feel for a 4 or 5 hour drive. The big question mark for me is how the ultra leather material will hold up long term. My 12 year old BMW seats still looked great when I traded it in. They had no cracks and just the slightest amount of wear on the side bolster from sliding in and out. All I did for maintenance was to use leather cleaner and conditioner about twice a year. Which reminds me I need to figure out what product to use on this synthetic material.

As far as other cabin materials, I actually think the Tesla materials are quite nice and compare favorably to at least my BMW. I think the new Tesla headliner material is nicer than what BMW used. I also like the wood strip on the dash. It has more of an open pore (less sealed) finish and doesn't just feel like plastic like the "wood" the BMW had. I also think the door panels have a nice feel with the last bit of Alcantara left, although I think these would also be fine if they used the ultra leather there.
In reality I usually associate quality interior feel in a car to what the knobs and buttons feel like. I always felt BMW's knobs and buttons were as good as it gets. The Tesla of course doesn't have any knobs or buttons so there really isn't anything to compare it to. The 2 steering column stalks seem fine to me. I'm used to the turn signal setup, since BMW used the same system, although the detents on the Tesla stalk are much stiffer than the BMW ones.

The model 3 audio is hands down better than what was in my BMW. no contest.

Finally, regarding ride, I actually find the ride of the model 3 with 19" rims to be much more compliant than my BMW. My BMW had run flat tires on 17" rims with sport suspension (although I'm not sure what suspension changes there were with the all wheel drive model) The ride was very harsh. I think that was mainly because of the run flat tires. Hitting even relatively small bumps would feel like I was popping a tire or bending a rim. I was a little worried that the sport rims would be harsh on the Tesla because of the low sidewalls, but they are not bad at all. I think the large wheel diameter helps here. When driving home from picking up model 3 I went over a transition from where they were milling the road for paving back onto the old pavement. These kind of bumps where both front wheels hit at the same time were always super harsh in my old car. The model 3 was much less harsh going over. The suspension feel was more of single bounce going over as opposed to a harsh hit.
Cornering handling feels similar, maybe slightly more road feel on the BMW. The low center of gravity is certainly nice on the Tesla. Then again I have my dilemma of wanting to drive the car slowly.

Overall I'm super thrilled with model 3. The technology is a blast. I'm loving the autopilot. It hasn't done anything unexpected on me yet, so I think I need to be careful to not become complacent. My kids love the rainbow road / more cowbell. It will be exciting to get new updates over time.

Last edited:
This is an interesting observation.

I finally sat in a 3 this past weekend. I thought it looked cramped, but it felt very reasonable.

My wife observed no legroom in back looking in the car, but once we adjusted the front to where we would sit it was fine. I’m 5’10”.

From the outside, looking at it compared to an S, it looks small. Sitting inside, with the higher roof and the glass it felt large.

The trunk was also different. Like a giant fish mouth. Very dark in the showroom so I couldn’t get a good feeling how much it would hold.

I’m planning on renting one before I purchase. Now I’m going to rent one sooner.

If it had a heated steering wheel, I’d just order.
One thing I noticed about the interior space is that the glove box and dash for the passenger is very far forward. I'm 6'-3" (short torso, long legs) I can really move the seat forward and still have plenty of room. There is a ton of space behind in the back row when doing so. On the other hand, on the driver's side I need to have the seat farther back to be in a comfortable position for the pedals, so there is less space behind the driver's seat.
Finally not having a driveshaft tunnel and the way they carved out a bit under the front center console gives some extra spaciousness in the back row. I find the rear headroom adequate, but not huge.

I just traded in my manual 2006 e90 325xi last Friday for a model 3 with 19" sport wheels.
I can make very similar comparisons between the two. (I also love my Tesla so far)

My BMW wasn't particularly quick (I think it had 215 hp) so the Tesla is certainly much quicker. I agree with@voip-ninja that while the model 3 is quick from a stop, where you really notice the acceleration is when you are already at speed. It's very impressive how much passing acceleration there is when going 50. The other really noticeable thing is how smooth everything is. I never realized how much of the vibration in an ICE comes from the engine (even after reading everybody mentioning it) Its funny even though the car is fast, the smoothness makes me want to drive it slow while trying to be as smooth as possible. I'm still training my brain to be as smooth with one pedal driving and regen.
I also found out that my kids are keenly comparing my speed to the speed limit shown on the screen. My son was giving me a hard time for going 27 in a 25 zone.

Regarding the seats, The Tesla seats are definitely much softer than the sport seats I had in my BMW. I've noticed that BMW's generally seem to have seats with what feels like thick firm leather. I've always found them very nice, but some people may think they are too firm. I also really like the extendable thigh support that the BMW seats had.
All that being said, I think the Tesla seats are very comfortable. They are just different. The ultra leather material (or whatever it is) is much more compliant than the leather BMW uses. The ultra leather is also much smoother than traditional leather. It doesn't have the texture or grain of real leather, and I think that's what people expect in a nice seat or steering wheel, so when it's not there my initial reaction is to think its inferior, but I'm not really sure that's true.
The Tesla seats seem to be very supportive, so that's good. They have good side bolstering, but are a bit wider than my BMW. I haven't gone on a long drive yet so we'll see how they feel for a 4 or 5 hour drive. The big question mark for me is how the ultra leather material will hold up long term. My 12 year old BMW seats still looked great when I traded it in. They had no cracks and just the slightest amount of wear on the side bolster from sliding in and out. All I did for maintenance was to use leather cleaner and conditioner about twice a year. Which reminds me I need to figure out what product to use on this synthetic material.

As far as other cabin materials, I actually think the Tesla materials are quite nice and compare favorably to at least my BMW. I think the new Tesla headliner material is nicer than what BMW used. I also like the wood strip on the dash. It has more of an open pore (less sealed) finish and doesn't just feel like plastic like the "wood" the BMW had. I also think the door panels have a nice feel with the last bit of Alcantara left, although I think these would also be fine if they used the ultra leather there.
In reality I usually associate quality interior feel in a car to what the knobs and buttons feel like. I always felt BMW's knobs and buttons were as good as gets. The Tesla of course doesn't have any knobs or buttons so there really isn't anything to compare it to. The 2 steering column stalks seem fine to me. I'm used to the turn signal setup, since BMW used the same system, although the detents on the Tesla stalk are much stiffer than the BMW ones.

The model 3 audio is hands down better than what was in my BMW. no contest.

Finally, regarding ride, I actually find the ride of the model 3 with 19" rims to be much more compliant than my BMW. My BMW had run flat tires on 17" rims with sport suspension (although I'm not sure what suspension changes there were with the all wheel drive model) The ride was very harsh. I think that was mainly because of the run flat tires. Hitting even relatively small bumps would feel like I was popping a tire or bending a rim. I was a little worried that the sport rims would be harsh on the Tesla because of the low sidewalls, but they are not bad at all. I think the large wheel diameter helps here. When driving home from picking up model 3 I went over a transition from where they were milling the road for paving back onto the old pavement. These kind of bumps where both front wheels hit at the same time were always super harsh in my old car. The model 3 was much less harsh going over. The suspension feel was more of single bounce going over as opposed to a harsh hit.
Cornering handling feels similar, maybe slightly more road feel on the BMW. The low center of gravity is certainly nice on the Tesla. Then again I have my dilemma of wanting to drive the car slowly.

Overall I'm super thrilled with model 3. The technology is a blast. I'm loving the autopilot. It hasn't done anything unexpected on me yet, so I think I need to be careful to not become complacent. My kids love the rainbow road / more cowbell. It will be exciting to get new updates over time.

One of the biggest criticisms people had of the E90 generation 3 series (the one you owned) was how harsh riding it was with the run flat tires. That was improved quite a bit in the newer generation cars and especially in the 2016 LifeCycle Impulse (LCI) refresh.

The reason your 2006 has more road feel is that it is the last generation BMW that still had hydraulic steering... the new cars have electric steering that is numb and has very little feedback... in this area the Tesla is actually better as they are able to deliver electric steering that seems to give a bit more road feel and feedback to the driver than the BMW system.

You are right that switch work (knobs/buttons/etc) is one area where BMW excels. My car has controls on it that work like a Swiss watch. The door opening levers are aluminum instead of cheap plastic. On the rental Model 3 I had the control knobs were just "okay" and not great... I felt it was kind of hard to press them left or right to do things like change the audio track I was listening to. Also the little hood on the drive selector lever wasn't on straight, it looked like the double sided tape they use to attach it was too thick or wasn't positioned particularly well.

One thing I noticed about the interior space is that the glove box and dash for the passenger is very far forward. I'm 6'-3" (short torso, long legs) I can really move the seat forward and still have plenty of room. There is a ton of space behind in the back row when doing so. On the other hand, on the driver's side I need to have the seat farther back to be in a comfortable position for the pedals, so there is less space behind the driver's seat.
Finally not having a driveshaft tunnel and the way they carved out a bit under the front center console gives some extra spaciousness in the back row. I find the rear headroom adequate, but not huge.
Interesting. That may be part of it. I’ll pay more attention next time b

The interior of my 3 is nice, but it doesn't scream "THIS IS A $50,000 CAR!!!!!". I'd be fine with the base seats and metal roof, but those aren't available yet.

The phone-as-a-key "feature" is a complete fail. We need a normal key fob. Don't try to reinvent the wheel (or fob), Tesla.

I just came back from a 1500 mile road trip. My supercharger total cost was $47. While on my trip, 7 other people got test rides in my 3, including some good 0-70 runs, and everyone liked it.

The interior of my 3 is nice, but it doesn't scream "THIS IS A $50,000 CAR!!!!!". I'd be fine with the base seats and metal roof, but those aren't available yet.

The phone-as-a-key "feature" is a complete fail. We need a normal key fob. Don't try to reinvent the wheel (or fob), Tesla.

I just came back from a 1500 mile road trip. My supercharger total cost was $47. While on my trip, 7 other people got test rides in my 3, including some good 0-70 runs, and everyone liked it.
So far my phone as key is working great. Its only been a couple of days, so I'm aware that I may need to give it time to fail. Personally I'm loving not carrying any keys. It's great. I have a keypad on my house, so I was down to only having to carry my car key. Now I've gotten rid of that. I do keep walking out of the house and having that "I forgot my keys" feeling, but I'm sure I'll grow out of it. I would hate to have to carry around the giant S or X fob.

Sometimes, my phone-as-a-key works flawlessly for a day or even two days. Then it'll randomly not work, or not work at all for a day or 2. Cycle airplane mode on/off, cycle Bluetooth off/on, restart the phone, two button or two button / brake pedal reset the car, etc. It works when it wants to.

It's just too much hassle to HAVE to take the phone into the convenience store with me EVERY TIME to get the car to lock. Then I'm coming out with things in my hands, and the phone decides to not work. so I have to shift everything from one hand to the other, dig the key card out of my pocket, swipe it, then try to open the door with the wrong hand, then get in the car, put everything down, then swipe the key card again to start the car, etc.

My 2011 Challenger R/T had a key fob that never failed to work. I put a battery in it one time in 3 years. When I leave home in the morning, my keys and fob go in my pocket and stay there all day until I come home. So 7 year old dodge technology works better than the new hottest thing from Tesla? S and X have fobs, why not make one for the 3?

Sometimes, my phone-as-a-key works flawlessly for a day or even two days. Then it'll randomly not work, or not work at all for a day or 2. Cycle airplane mode on/off, cycle Bluetooth off/on, restart the phone, two button or two button / brake pedal reset the car, etc. It works when it wants to.

It's just too much hassle to HAVE to take the phone into the convenience store with me EVERY TIME to get the car to lock. Then I'm coming out with things in my hands, and the phone decides to not work. so I have to shift everything from one hand to the other, dig the key card out of my pocket, swipe it, then try to open the door with the wrong hand, then get in the car, put everything down, then swipe the key card again to start the car, etc.

My 2011 Challenger R/T had a key fob that never failed to work. I put a battery in it one time in 3 years. When I leave home in the morning, my keys and fob go in my pocket and stay there all day until I come home. So 7 year old dodge technology works better than the new hottest thing from Tesla? S and X have fobs, why not make one for the 3?

The "keep the phone in your pocket" comfort access key fob for my BMW works 100% of the time for entering the vehicle, starting the vehicle and having the trunk, etc., open.

I have an iPhone X so I'm hoping the phone-as-key experience with the Model 3 is tolerable. The key card is definitely not tolerable and I think Tesla is really going to have to reconsider using it as their alternate access means.

People who don't have a smart phone and use it as the primary means of accessing the vehicle.... yikes.

We get it, people are getting frustrated by the phone as a key, but I fail to understand why people think the key fob is foolproof. Yes, I have the occasional issue with the phone, but I have also had issues with my key fobs in the past. Some of them do have the key inside but not all, when the keyfob fails, there was no card to bail you out - you were stuck.

And of all companies, how can you tell Tesla not to reinvent the wheel? I guess they should have stuck with an ICE sold through a dealer network. Stop doing OTAs, you should go to the independently owned dealer to have a software upgrade (assuming they even bother doing any upgrades).

We get it, people are getting frustrated by the phone as a key, but I fail to understand why people think the key fob is foolproof. Yes, I have the occasional issue with the phone, but I have also had issues with my key fobs in the past. Some of them do have the key inside but not all, when the keyfob fails, there was no card to bail you out - you were stuck.

And of all companies, how can you tell Tesla not to reinvent the wheel? I guess they should have stuck with an ICE sold through a dealer network. Stop doing OTAs, you should go to the independently owned dealer to have a software upgrade (assuming they even bother doing any upgrades).
I can attest that a key fob isn't foolproof. Especially when the battery is getting low. And if the key is attached to the fob, sure you'll get in your car, but it's impossible turning off the alarm.

I have been using the BMW comfort access fobs across two vehicles over nearly six years and have had literally zero issues with them.

My wife has the comparable feature on her Mini over the same period of time and also zero issues.

The fobs have a hidden key inside that can be used to enter the vehicle and start it if for some reason the fob isn’t working but I’ve never needed it.

Reactions: chinnam3
I finally got the full Tesla Model 3 experience by way of a Turo rental. For anyone in the greater Denver area, I simply can't recommend this method enough for getting enough time behind the wheel to make a decision on such a big purchase. PM me if you want contact details and I'll provide them.

My family and I got to enjoy an entire day with the Tesla Model 3 and I got to basically back to back compare it in pretty much every aspect with my current car, a 2016 BMW 340xi.

When it comes to driver enjoyment, the Tesla exceeds the BMW in every way. Munich has to be scared right now, and understandably. The Tesla (other than from a full stop) accelerates much faster than the BMW, it handles better, it keeps the driver more engaged, and it is simply much more fun to drive.

The car is also simply gorgeous. A friend thought I had purchased a Porsche. I thought the limited rear visibility would bother me, but it did not. The backup camera works pretty well in most situations and I had no trouble fitting the car in my garage even though it's a bit wider than my current ride and the mirrors don't fold as tight to the body.

My 3 year old son just loved the view from the back seat with the huge pano roof. I would glance back at him and he was always looking all around at stuff he's never gotten to look at from any other car. At the end of the trip he kept going on and on about how much he likes the Tesla and kept asking "dad, when are you getting YOUR Tesla?" ;)

My wife also did a complete turn around. She went from being very skeptical of Tesla build quality, auto pilot safety, etc., to being completely sold on the car by the end of our time with it.

Coolest moment of the trip was driving into the small town of Morrison and having a couple of local Morrison cops ask me to roll the window down so they could complement the "cool car" and then giving my 3 year old son a junior police badge.

Yours truly is a pragmatic tough customer. I don't sugar coat things and the only mission I'm on is to get the best bang for my buck. I've driven some pretty nice cars (and motorcycles) over the last 20 years, so my standards are quite high.

There are some areas where the BMW exceeds the Tesla, but they aren't as many as I anticipated.

1. The BMW has better seats, with more adjustments.
2. The BMW has a better interior, with much nicer materials. My wife liked the modern design of the Tesla quite a lot but did concede that the materials didn't seem appropriate for a $50K+ car that was supposed to have "premium" interior upgrades.
3. The BMW has an infotainment system that better integrates with my phone (shows text messages on the screen for example)... newer models have Carplay.
4. The latest BMW models have inductive phone charging. For the life of me I can't understand why Tesla has opted to go with the plug in charging setup, which didn't work with either my wife or my phones when they were in their cases. Tesla really needs to remedy this ASAP.
5. The BMW has a few really superb "pet" features that I really like. One is surround view when parking which is perfect for parallel parking... I really wish Tesla would implement this using the cars cameras if such a thing is possible. Another one is the BMW has a comfort access feature that works much better than the Tesla including trunk access that is much better. The trunk will automatically open if you have the key and swipe your foot under the rear bumper... perfect for when your arms are loaded with packages or groceries.

My biggest gripe with the Tesla after our trip was the key card. It is horrible. I realize I wouldn't normally have to interact with the car this way, but how horrible for anyone who will let others drive their car regularly. I really hope Tesla contemplates adding a better method of access that doesn't rely on a smart phone.

So, the Tesla is not perfect, but it's just too fun to drive.. and the thrill of pulling into a supercharger stall and putting 100 miles of range back on the car in about 20 minutes. Wow. I can't even imagine what this will be like when next level superchargers arrive and this time gets even shorter.

Now this March 31st pre-order just has to wait for the invite to configure a dual motor car.
What did you think of the ergonomics of the center screen and no center binnacle? I hear very few people complaining about this now that more cars are out in the wild.
Personally, I find the speedometer position and size much easier to read than any of my previous cars with analog gauges.
If anything it may be too prominent, everybody else in the car knows how fast you are going. and what the speed limit is.

The reason your 2006 has more road feel is that it is the last generation BMW that still had hydraulic steering... the new cars have electric steering that is numb and has very little feedback... in this area the Tesla is actually better as they are able to deliver electric steering that seems to give a bit more road feel and feedback to the driver than the BMW system.
l.

I have an X1 35i (E84) and one of the reasons i bought it was it still had hydraulic sterring and I am impressed with model 3 steering feel but there are some quirks sometimes it seems to magnify road bumps through the steering too much. Overall steering feel is much better than in the 3 series (F30) which many incessantly complain about.

Steering wheel in model 3 is nice and thick but could use some extra paddling though.

I can attest that a key fob isn't foolproof. Especially when the battery is getting low. And if the key is attached to the fob, sure you'll get in your car, but it's impossible turning off the alarm.
The Model S keyfob will open the car, even if the fob battery is dead, by placing it on a spot on the windshield where the sensor (RFID?) inside it can be read. The car can be started by placing the dead fob near the 12V port on the center console. This is pretty typical for fobs with no physical key, in my experience.

I think I saw a recent Elon Musk tweet that suggested that a fob would be made available for the Model 3 for those who want one. Best of both worlds. I have no desire to upgrade my venerable Android 4.4 phone (LG 34C) nor do I want to carry it with me everywhere, even if it did work as a key (which seems very unlikely).

Came over from an F30 and agree that the steering in the Tesla Model 3 actually feels BETTER, which is crazy to me. Main thing I miss from the F30 is the heads up display... Still think the Tesla would be almost perfect with one of those.

The Model S keyfob will open the car, even if the fob battery is dead, by placing it on a spot on the windshield where the sensor (RFID?) inside it can be read. The car can be started by placing the dead fob near the 12V port on the center console. This is pretty typical for fobs with no physical key, in my experience.

I think I saw a recent Elon Musk tweet that suggested that a fob would be made available for the Model 3 for those who want one. Best of both worlds. I have no desire to upgrade my venerable Android 4.4 phone (LG 34C) nor do I want to carry it with me everywhere, even if it did work as a key (which seems very unlikely).
I think since there are issues, Tesla definitely should offer a fob as an option.

For me personally, I would prefer the car respond to biometrics (finger print, iris) like my phone does.

Reactions: chinnam3
a lot of the little issues everyone complains about will be worked out. things that come to mind, seats (already on gen2), heated steering, rough ride (already slightly improved), vented seats, more luxurious upholstery, possibly even FOB (i highly doubt this one :) ). most of this will not be happening (very small increments perhaps) until critical production 5k+/week is reached. none of these was a dealbreaker to me as the PROs for the car highly outweight the cons. i might eat my words if the ownership cost skyrockets after 4 years.