Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla active hood deployed after driving over raised manhole cover...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DavidR1

Jul 30, 2021
UK
I drove over a raised manhole cover a couple of weeks ago (unmarked etc) and the car bottomed out causing the plastic shield to come off (see photo of the manhole cover and part). Surprisingly the active hood was deployed without any front or side collision at all.

Tesla contends that "the car behaved as expected". I really don't understand how that could possibly be the case. Thoughts?

2c7357177bf42f282a498563c5f54ad56b4e2a93-1.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and croman
Active hood - if I understand it correctly - is where the hood will pop upward in hopes of causing a human less harm. Think of it as a soft platform for pedestrians to fall on. I think Nissan GT-Rs had an issue with this a few years back. Normally it fires one time use struts close the windshield anchor points.

Kind of like this article shows:

That is what comes to my mind anyways - I could be completely off.

RE "active hood":

I don't think US cars have this feature, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I'm not sure how OP is squaring up smashing into a raised manhole cover with enough force to rip parts off the bottom of the car, and "... the active hood was deployed without any front or side collision at all."

Uhh, seems you most certainly collided with something.

RE "active hood":

I don't think US cars have this feature, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I'm not sure how OP is squaring up smashing into a raised manhole cover with enough force to rip parts off the bottom of the car, and "... the active hood was deployed without any front or side collision at all."

Uhh, seems you most certainly collided with something.
100% definitely no collision with *anything*

Very interesting...sounds like a shitty situation to be in, and I think a lot of us learned something new about their cars in the process. Thanks?

Clearly the car detected some force which their was (you hit something after all) and deployed the "active hood" whatever the hell it is. Apparently force doesn't have to be to the face of the vehicle for this to happen. Did the vehicle lift in the front and come back down with some impact? I mean it kind of must have, right?

I did not know that this feature exists in MS and MX. ( not very anxious to find out )
It’s basically a double mechanism on the hinge part that support reverse movement if an impact to specific areas. I can’t take a photo of my car now but here is an article about it: