Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla advanced Summon ready in ~6 weeks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They demonstrated the hardware capabilities in 2016 thus proving it was capable of limited full self driving on that particular route. Whatever they add to make it better is just that, hardware to make it better. The computer was designed to be easily replaced. HW 3 was started in early 2016 and HW 2.0 was released in late 2016.

It doesn't say limited self driving. It says at a lever substantially safer than a human. Also, it's now pretty clear that the FSD demo was completely gamed, and likely wasn't running stock HW2 hardware. It took them hundreds of tries to make one video.

Have a link to the fact that HW3 was started in early 2016? "Tesla Vision" is their in house solution from 2015, but I never saw them say that it was the full ASIC and not NVIDIA until this year, so I'm interested how you know they started HW3 in early 2016. Why did they ever work on HW2 and 2.5 if they always knew it couldn't FSD? They could use a much simpler computer to do EAP as a stop gap.

Also, if all this is true, then why was Elon so sure he could do FSD on HW2 in July 2017, but now we're waiting for HW3 in 2019 to even start that? If Elon always knew they needed HW3, then telling everyone it was only a few months away on HW2 was highly misleading.

Reactions: RBowen
It doesn't say limited self driving. It says at a lever substantially safer than a human. Also, it's now pretty clear that the FSD demo was completely gamed, and likely wasn't running stock HW2 hardware. It took them hundreds of tries to make one video.

Have a link to the fact that HW3 was started in early 2016? "Tesla Vision" is their in house solution from 2015, but I never saw them say that it was the full ASIC and not NVIDIA until this year, so I'm interested how you know they started HW3 in early 2016. Why did they ever work on HW2 and 2.5 if they always knew it couldn't FSD? They could use a much simpler computer to do EAP as a stop gap.

Also, if all this is true, then why was Elon so sure he could do FSD on HW2 in July 2017, but now we're waiting for HW3 in 2019 to even start that? If Elon always knew they needed HW3, then telling everyone it was only a few months away on HW2 was highly misleading.
Look at who they hired. It was all over the news at the time and was also Tesla's explanation for the MobilEye breakup.

I 100% believe the demo was using stock HW 2.0 and custom software. We saw some demos from other vendors demonstrating similar if not better capabilities a few months later.

Of course the demo was gamed... it was to demonstrate what the hardware was capable of even though the software was nowhere near complete. This is evidenced by the dates of disengagements sent to the CA DMV. The cars were trained for the very specific route. It doesn't negate what the car did in the video though.

I was a day one reservation, got my RWD M3 in May, and did not get a Die-cast.
A co-worker who had no reservation and got their AWD car in September got two die-casts in the frunk when they picked it up.

Also, Elon doesn't promise? "3 months maybe, 6 months definitely" isn't a promise? If the word "definitely" doesn't make something a promise then you're right, he never promises but neither does anyone that doesn't say "I promise" and shows you that they aren't crossing their toes in their shoes. Also, "all cars are delivered with hardware required for FSD"? And now it turns out neither HW2 or HW2.5 is good enough, we now need HW3? Where was his wiggle word in saying he "expected" HW2 or 2.5 to be good enough? It just says it is, flat out.

Really? Please.

It doesn't matter what word he uses.

When he says something will happen....then it should happen.

I can't believe we are even talking about words.

If I said that I'm going to give you $1000 bucks....then I really don't have to because I didn't say "I promise"?

Is this a forum for Adults or what?

Last edited:
Reactions: pipestem

Where did Elon say " I promise FSD would work with HW2" ?

He never "promised". right?

( btw....this response is "FULL" of sarcasm ) ----- see my post right above this one for further explanation.

Last edited:
I have a few things I'm waiting for.

1. Anything related to FSD ( since I refused to trade it for $5k ).
2. My line waiter gift
3. My carbon fiber spoiler & badging
4. Advanced Summon

Since I never got my line waiter gift either maybe Elon could prioritize the FSD hardware upgrade to owners who purchased FSD and stood in line. That would be a nice gesture.

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner