Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla allowed to open Richmond VA location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_4142.JPG
IMG_4143.JPG
IMG_4144.JPG
Pictures from today, progress !!!

Reactions: BobV
Oh wow, they are moving super fast, none of that was up when I drove by last Tuesday.

I actually took this picture last Monday and meant to post it here, totally blanked on that. Lots of changes since then which is awesome. I thought it was interesting that they added 4 Destination Chargers in the parking lot and not Superchargers but I guess something is better than nothing.
RichmondDealership.jpg

I actually took this picture last Monday and meant to post it here, totally blanked on that. Lots of changes since then which is awesome. I thought it was interesting that they added 4 Destination Chargers in the parking lot and not Superchargers but I guess something is better than nothing.View attachment 231855

I spoke to one of the electricians there a few weeks ago, they can't put in a SC because of the power coming into the shopping center is not sufficient to support that and the service center itself. It would have required a massive infrastructure change from VA power to support those kinds of loads.

I spoke to one of the electricians there a few weeks ago, they can't put in a SC because of the power coming into the shopping center is not sufficient to support that and the service center itself. It would have required a massive infrastructure change from VA power to support those kinds of loads.

That makes complete sense. It appears like these may be temporary charging stations just from the way that they've been installed and possibly a more permanent solution, like Superchargers, would be installed later down the line.

Yeah. Raleigh SC doesn't have superchargers either. I don't think it's terribly uncommon for a SC to not have a SC (nyuk nyuk nyuk).

Last time Erick told me anything he said end of summer opening. Have a colleague at 48k miles and he's trying not to crack 50k before the SC opens. Gonna be a hard task...

• Informative
Reactions: BigD0g
New article on Richmond.com. Basically, the VADA got a small victory but Tesla can still build its location.

Judge: Auto dealer group's challenge of Tesla store in Henrico can proceed

"A judge has ruled that the Virginia Automobile Dealers Association has legal standing to challenge a Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles decision allowing electric car maker Tesla Motors Inc. to open a company-owned dealership in the Richmond region.

After an hourlong hearing on Monday, Richmond Circuit Court Judge Gregory L. Rupe ruled that the dealers association is indeed an “aggrieved party” that can legally appeal to the circuit court to challenge a decision made in December by Virginia DMV Commissioner Richard D. Holcomb to grant Tesla’s application for a new dealership.....

Rupe’s ruling does not affect whether the store can open, but it does allow the dealer group’s challenge to proceed to further court hearings."

By the way, the comments section was getting a little entertaining. If you have time for some tin foil hat people.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: techmaven
New article on Richmond.com. Basically, the VADA got a small victory but Tesla can still build its location.

Judge: Auto dealer group's challenge of Tesla store in Henrico can proceed

"A judge has ruled that the Virginia Automobile Dealers Association has legal standing to challenge a Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles decision allowing electric car maker Tesla Motors Inc. to open a company-owned dealership in the Richmond region.

After an hourlong hearing on Monday, Richmond Circuit Court Judge Gregory L. Rupe ruled that the dealers association is indeed an “aggrieved party” that can legally appeal to the circuit court to challenge a decision made in December by Virginia DMV Commissioner Richard D. Holcomb to grant Tesla’s application for a new dealership.....

Rupe’s ruling does not affect whether the store can open, but it does allow the dealer group’s challenge to proceed to further court hearings."

By the way, the comments section was getting a little entertaining. If you have time for some tin foil hat people.

Ugh, this is not good, though fortunately, before this thing makes it through the courts the store will already be built, and VA has a history of not tearing things down after they are built. However, this won't allow for more SC's and we are desperately going to need them when the 3 hits. I was at Tyson's yesterday for a 9am appt and the line was literally out of the parking lot. My car wasn't even looked at they were so busy, they are hoping to get to it today.

I'm going to let you Tysons folks in on a little secret: The Raleigh, NC SC is just as far a drive from Richmond when you account for traffic to/from and the fact they don't normally have lines out the door. Good folks work there too. That's where I took delivery in 2014 and have had Blue Steel serviced since (Except when Erick and his magic van shows up in my work parking lot).

I suppose this little secret has an expiration date of August, though... enjoy it if you need it!

Reactions: Drucifer