Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Understood
Usa just doesn’t want China wiping out our vehicle ownership and manufacturing
Like MGs being made and sold by China to rhe UK
We will try to avoid that
Buying Polestar helps China hurts USA
Buying Tesla helps USA and doesn’t hurt anyone
Yes but our Teslas are made in China so they are contributing to the Chinese economy. Are you syggesting we ought to boycott them and move to another brand?

For the USA, I'd have to say wait for assorted-vendors to convert their cars to NACS plugs. Being chained to CCS is just... awful and will never improve since it's being abandoned.

And completely opposite in Uk/Europe where all new EV cars have CCS for DC charging and the AC charging is top part of CCS socket.

So any new EV will work with any modern charge point except for a few that (often in addition) support older CHADEMO connector - or old legacy Tesla supercharger but those will have upgraded to CCS so you again get both connectors, legacy Tesla (modified Type 2) and modern CCS.

So apart from some early EVs, you are pretty much guaranteed compatibility for both AC (normally during your own cable) and DC charging.

And completely opposite in Uk/Europe where all new EV cars have CCS for DC charging and the AC charging is top part of CCS socket.

So any new EV will work with any modern charge point except for a few that (often in addition) support older CHADEMO connector - or old legacy Tesla supercharger but those will have upgraded to CCS so you again get both connectors, legacy Tesla (modified Type 2) and modern CCS.

So apart from some early EVs, you are pretty much guaranteed compatibility for both AC (normally during your own cable) and DC charging.
Well except that most of the UK Tesla superchargers are still software locked to work only with Teslas.
Also I think our CCS2 is a bit better than the US CCS1. Its still bulky but the CCS1 has the latch on the plug not the car and it can get "easily" broken or worn so from what I hear they have a lot more plug related issues just getting it to make a connection and stay fully in than we do.

Ah, I completely missed the fact that Berlin weren’t producing RHD cars. My apologies.
The comment about consumers indirectly dictating policy still stands, though :)
Yes it is frustrating for us consumers as I'd much rather have a locally produced car.

I think the Mini is the only EV being manufactured in the UK right now, not sure though.

EU would be fine, although Poland and Slovakia have terrible grids so not much better than China in all honesty.

Understood
Usa just doesn’t want China wiping out our vehicle ownership and manufacturing
Like MGs being made and sold by China to rhe UK
We will try to avoid that
Buying Polestar helps China hurts USA
Buying Tesla helps USA and doesn’t hurt anyone
As a counterpoint - USA made UK Model 3s were all over the place in terms of quality and if you ended up with a good one you were considered lucky. I consider myself one of the more fortunate Fremont M3 owners and yet mine has had chrome trim realignment shortly after getting it, and has areas where the paint is of - shall we say - questionable consistency. I've anecdotally seen images of even recent refresh S/X with shocking panel gaps.

Conversely I've not heard a bad word said about Shanghai cars, except the odd outlier. "Chrome trim misaligned" posts disappeared on here overnight. Reports of dust under the clearcoat and overspray likewise.

if that's the best USA manufacturing has to offer, I think I'll bet on Chinese-sourced Teslas, thanks.

Ah, I completely missed the fact that Berlin weren’t producing RHD cars. My apologies.
The comment about consumers indirectly dictating policy still stands, though :)
yeah but I wasn't asking you :p
I was asking our American cousin who clearly feels very strongly about not buying Chinese if he thinks we should swear off Tesla's in the UK over their origins.
As pointed out the UK made options are pretty limited but there are plenty of European options.
I have a European EV which I believe has a Samsung Battery so limited Chinese content in that one I think!

No, but I’m old enough that I’ll offer my opinions whether people want them or not 😄

Out of interest, which European-made EV did you go for and did its origins have any bearing your purchasing decision?
Fiat 500e
I was looking for a small city car kind of EV and I am not sure that there actually are any Chinese ones on the market yet that I can think of that really fit that bill. Ora funky cat maybe. At the moment, with the exception of Polestar, and possibly MG I am not interested in the Chinese brands because they are so new in the UK and I would like some longer term data on the cars and service before considering.
Having said that I have considered the Polestar before now without thinking about where it is built and I drive a Tesla so I guess I cannot claim any ideological high ground. But then we don't actually make any EV's here yet really so its not like I am killing the UK EV industry either way and I don't feel I owe anything to the French or German car makers tbh.

Fiat 500e
I was looking for a small city car kind of EV and I am not sure that there actually are any Chinese ones on the market yet that I can think of that really fit that bill. Ora funky cat maybe. At the moment, with the exception of Polestar, and possibly MG I am not interested in the Chinese brands because they are so new in the UK and I would like some longer term data on the cars and service before considering.
Having said that I have considered the Polestar before now without thinking about where it is built and I drive a Tesla so I guess I cannot claim any ideological high ground. But then we don't actually make any EV's here yet really so its not like I am killing the UK EV industry either way and I don't feel I owe anything to the French or German car makers tbh.
Ah, yes. I love the 500e!
That would be top of my list if ever I needed a city car!

Ah, yes. I love the 500e!
That would be top of my list if ever I needed a city car!
not had it long. Seems nice. Does what it says on the tin.
Cheap insurance which was a key point since I have teenagers. much cheaper than most others probably due to only having 120bhp. Less than half the price to insure compared to a Mini electric.

Only gripes so far are:
a) it looks like I only get 6 months connectivity and then i might have to pay a subscription just to use the app! Used to be 3 years but they cut it to 6 months from new. Can't even confirm that or what it will cost if true bizarrely. Will definitely lose traffic and speed cameras etc but manual seems to suggest connectivity from the app for preheat etc is lost as well at that point.
b)The spare key is a sealed unit proximity key with a non replaceable battery which, according to reports, might last as little as 18 months in some cases!!! and costs £70 + £100 to program for a replacement. Which if correct defies all logic.
c) the need for a 12 month service (or any service at all)

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro