Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I have a salary sacrifice model 3 long range and pretty happy with it, the build quality is suspect but performance and comfort are good (in my opinion)

I’m just wondering what else is around? I quite like the look of the BMW I4 but performance and specification aren’t as good unless I spent a lot more.

Not impressed by the Audi offering, and the Porsche looks good but lots more money!

Is their anything else anyone would recommend, before I sign up for another one?

Thanks!

I’m just wondering what else is around?

Do you need to charge away from home much? If so I reckon you'd be aggravated by anything other than Tesla ... you could try your regular long distance trips in ABetterRoutePlanner (choose Make/Model of car, and Summer / Winter weather conditions) and see where you would have to charge, and how long you would be stopped)

Bjørn Nyland has a YouTube channel where he has tested pretty much everything that is out there. I think that would be worth a look for anything on your shortlist.

He has useful tests on how efficient a car is (MPG type stats, and how long it takes to charge / what the MAX kW actually is) and how long it takes him to drive 1,000 km - including stopping to refuel and get a sandwich and so on ... . He's in Norway and 3rd party charging isn't an issue there ... but sometimes realworld snags, with the car, rear their head - which is useful to know about.

Hello Everyone,

I have a salary sacrifice model 3 long range and pretty happy with it, the build quality is suspect but performance and comfort are good (in my opinion)

I’m just wondering what else is around? I quite like the look of the BMW I4 but performance and specification aren’t as good unless I spent a lot more.

Not impressed by the Audi offering, and the Porsche looks good but lots more money!

Is their anything else anyone would recommend, before I sign up for another one?

Thanks!
No offence to TMC but your replies on a single marque car website will be….err skewed a bit.

Perhaps have a sniff about or post on SpeakEV as there are far more non-Tesla car owners on there.

Obviously the supercharger network actually works unlike almost all other brands of electric charge point. So, based on that, your other options are:
1. Tesla
Obviously you already have like 10 SCs available to other brands. I would suspect all Suoerchargers will be available to other cars in UK by end of 2025.

Even so, 99% of charging happens at home/work place so the role of SCs is greatly exaggerated imho

Obviously you already have like 10 SCs available to other brands. I would suspect all Suoerchargers will be available to other cars in UK by end of 2025.

Even so, 99% of charging happens at home/work place so the role of SCs is greatly exaggerated imho
20 UK SuC sites now opened to the public, but who's counting 😅

Here's my charging stats on the X this last year...not sure it's 99% at home/work for me. 48% more like.

IMG_0684.png

Hello Everyone,

Thanks!
If you are looking to change it I assume it is a few years old so probably a California car?
The latest ones from China are a lot better build maybe check one out before making a decision. If you are driving a pre 21 car you will also find the newer ones have a bigger battery, heat pump, power tailgate, faster user interface etc. Not as exiting as getting a different model but depends what your needs are?
Kia EV6 and Ionic 5 might be worth checking out if you really want something different

20 UK SuC sites now opened to the public, but who's counting 😅

Here's my charging stats on the X this last year...not sure it's 99% at home/work for me. 48% more like.

View attachment 916917
the problem I have with these stats is with the "petrol equivalent". Performance wise most Tesla's are almost a supercar which might be why they are using about 24mpg as the benchmark for the "petrol equivalent". If I did not have the Tesla I would not be driving a car that did 24mpg

I think BYD looks really exciting. People will say, “it’s an unknown quantity” and “there’s no infrastructure, what happens if it breaks down?” Well in the early days Tesla were an unknown quantity, infrastructure was very limited and the build quality was appalling. That didn’t stop the early adopters.

I think BYD will be pretty big here within 5 years.

If you are looking to change it I assume it is a few years old so probably a California car?
The latest ones from China are a lot better build maybe check one out before making a decision. If you are driving a pre 21 car you will also find the newer ones have a bigger battery, heat pump, power tailgate, faster user interface etc. Not as exiting as getting a different model but depends what your needs are?
Kia EV6 and Ionic 5 might be worth checking out if you really want something different
i would probably argue regarding MIC build quality... not externally, but internally....

I am on my 10th visit to SC due in March...

Hello Everyone,

Thanks!
Test drove the i4. Excellent car for the money and I do mean excellent. You do have to pay more for a lot of things that are standard on Tesla, but the base versions still have plenty of power, just not M3 performance.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks!
With a new service and sales at Bar Hill, Cambridge and another 12 superchargers at Bar Hill including the current ones (12) at Trumpington - I guess Cambridge is awash with Tesla goodies! Thanks for the Juniper project etc., and some secret stuff going on in those Cambridge R&D places.

And from reliable sources, Tesla/Elon had taken note of the SC congestion during the Christmas break in UK and they are planning to rapidly increase the numbers in UK - the target is to reduce waiting time to single digit (in minutes - I suppose :)) rather than hours. I can hear critics laughing at another Elon’s time but having witnessed few things from close quarters I am confident they are trying to rapidly increase the SC numbers.

The other thing is even though I don’t supercharge that much - the convenience of SC is their strength irrespective of opening up to 3rd parties. I know nowadays Trumpington SC’s are always in full capacity being one of the first UK SC lot to open up to non-Teslas. However, even if you are a rare SC user on days when you do long trips you don’t have to look for subscription and worry about broken chargers and how you are going to charge in one of those long motorway drives. I do long trips only few times in a year and can manage without SC use 90% of the time but those 10% of the time when I need for those trips to Cornwall or Europe - Tesla makes a big difference. And that is super important to me, may be not for others!

Last edited:
And from reliable sources, Tesla/Elon had taken note of the SC congestion during the Christmas break in UK and they are planning to rapidly increase the numbers in UK - the target is to reduce waiting time to single digit (in minutes - I suppose :)) rather than hours. I can hear critics laughing at another Elon’s time but having witnessed few things from close quarters I am confident they are trying to rapidly increase the SC numbers.
Citation needed. Though it does make sense
If Tesla have any sense they will have realised that the UK more so than many places has a rapid charger issue and keeping Tesla well ahead of the pack on that is going to be a big benefit.
I wonder if this will impact their plans to open up the UK network in the UK?
The SuC network was enough of a benefit went I renewed after 3 years of M3 ownership that I did not even look elsewhere and I don't even rapid charge that often! Having it work when I need it still counts for a lot even so.