Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Incorrect - IO does NOT accept 'any' EV. MG's are not accepted. neither are MG's accepted on any of Tesla's Superchargers?
It is perfectly correct. All EVs are compatible if using a charger for scheduling - you just need one of the compatible chargers.

MG ZS + Ohme Home Pro:
1699715988196.png

MrBadger - thanks for the response.
In reply:
1. Incorrect - IO does NOT accept 'any' EV. MG's are not accepted. neither are MG's accepted on any of Tesla's Superchargers?
2. Rubbish and rubbish. You don't own a Tesla so you can't comment. NO COMPULSORY SERVICING REQUIRED. Now why is that if "you" think certain areas could cause problems more frequently in future? How long do we have to wait? They've been in the UK since 2016. Another 7 years perhaps?
Has your Main Dealer told you - you need an annual service? Ask them why? I did? I asked JLR when I was looking at the I Pace.....well, um, um, it needs, um new filters and um wipers need checking, consumables and erm, topping up fluids. So it's essential you keep coming to us for the annual service and I can assure you sir, it won't cost more than £300/yr???

"...Our average annual service cost over 4 years is fractionally lower to that of previous ICE but would have been more..."
I bet that is the other side of £1000 over the 4 years, yes? Tesla equivalent: big fat ZERO.

"...try not to breakdown/flat tyre outside office hours or too far from a service centre or for a non warranty reason..."
For starters, the Tesla Roadside Assistance is free under warranty.
No warranty - no breakdown assist. Isn't that the same as all cars? You then rely on a 'normal' call out company??? (EV or ICE). So I don't understand your criticism.

7. Because the Cd is so low - it requires less power from the batteries to propel it, allowing that residual powerto be used elsewhere. What is the range advertised/real for your car (what car is it?). How reliable is the network charging stations. Do you suffer from range anxiety, I know both my neighbours do: I-Pace and Cupra. How often do you have to charge it?
8. If you've been a petrol head for decades as I was - power comes into the equation and my Tesla M3 is faster than my old Merc SL55 AMG 5ltr 560hp ever was in terms of accel. Tesla accel is most definitely the BEST in the world [ M3P, M3AB, Plaid etc]. Best IN THE WORLD. And this is thrown in with the ridiculous prices we see for Tesla's these days. Madness.
10. Kudos I said not special. Kudos because Tesla set the scene for all other EV's to follow. Most car manufcaturers hate Musk for being a disruptor. He waltzed into the car industry with no background and shook it by its Bo""ocks.
The entire indaustry has benefitted ever since.
Best most advanced batteries in the world = Tesla, especially the Li-Ion PH coming out now in the new M3's [1 million mile expected shelf life, compared to what we see now! 100, 000 charging cycles compared to most others offering <5000. No time frames for recharging. It's a few minutes at most. Always charge to 100% - battery loves it.
GigaCasting - the ONLY car company in the world which can make a car like the M3 out of 3 parts only! Reducing the cost by 40% much of which is passed onto the consumer. It goes on. Tesla sets the EV marque. KUDOS to the man and the product.
Look it up! [Li-Ion.Ph and Gigacasting] Toyota who are busy trying to catch up are now copying what Musk has already done and pretending they've been working on it for years!!!

Hurricane
11 and 12: you are scraping the barrell.
13, 14, 15: These are advanced concepts offered as options, they are not part of the basic car. They ALL work they have been tested to destruction. It is national regs which don't allow them to be used because they are years behind the technology and infrastructure -duh!
17: only options are in beta. for reasons above.
18: you are repeating yourself (10).

So let's address: is there an alternative: of course there is!
BUT it's subjective isn't it.
If I want more luxury in a price comparative car.
A more comprehensive ergonomic feel to the cockpit.
If I hate american car manufacturers.
If I hate the dreadful limited choice of colours,
If I hate the looks.

I looked at dozens.
Short list: I-Pace / Cupra / Tesla

The rest are rubbish mainly because they are too expensive / dreadful range / ICE's dressed up as EV's.
Normally most manufacturers will catch up with Tesla (EV6 is a good example), but they all forget one thing. This is Elon Musk we're talking about not just another car manufacturer - he will always outpace the market - KUDOS.
Totally agree
To you list can we add Fisker and Rivian?
Both very impressive

It is perfectly correct. All EVs are compatible if using a charger for scheduling - you just need one of the compatible chargers.

MG ZS + Ohme Home Pro:
View attachment 989806
I think we all know that and I could of mentioned this on his first post but I understand what he meant so some saying it as to try to be clever about it (not you, not initially) is pedantically clever. But I digress and maybe we should keep on track.

Im actually interested in this thread as to opinions on alternatives that might sway me (If they fall inline with my needs)... 0-60 is very important to me (not that I should give anyone satisfactions but Im that guy that thinks its better to have it and not need it etc.), Also loading space because I hoard stuff and make trips to the tip too. Connectivity is very important to me as far as latency goes plus some more things plus more.

So...What is the tesla alternative?

I think we all know that and I could of mentioned this on his first post but I understand what he meant so some saying it as to try to be clever about it (not you, not initially) is pedantically clever. But I digress and maybe we should keep on track.

Im actually interested in this thread as to opinions on alternatives that might sway me (If they fall inline with my needs)... 0-60 is very important to me (not that I should give anyone satisfactions but Im that guy that thinks its better to have it and not need it etc.), Also loading space because I hoard stuff and make trips to the tip too. Connectivity is very important to me as far as latency goes plus some more things plus more.

So...What is the tesla alternative?
R1S

Still looking.
MS Raven ludicrous with the long range plus battery here, with:
- efficiency and 400 miles range in summer - only charge overnight on trips
- comfy supportive seats, well-controlled adaptive suspension and quiet interior for the commute and trips
- 800l space and a long hatchback
-front seats raised makes for comfortable 3 adults in the rear.
-classy, elegant saloon looks
-besides Plaid, still the hardest hit off the line.

It does’t have, and I don’t need:
-useless “luxury” baubles
-250+kw charging - I have the range.
- high-speed acceleration and track performance - have fun track and performance alternatives.

Last edited:
Still looking.

Still listening (to this thread)

MS Raven ludicrous

Wish I'd bought that.

Had the Performance P90D, but after demo'ing it to all my mates rarely used P, especially on normal journeys with-passenger(s). So replaced it with "cooking version" (which is no slouch at 3.5s -ish)

The performance figures for PLAID were announced and I decided "Can't-afford-not-to-have-that". Had zero notion that Tesla would say "Not in UK mate" :(

So next time I'll buy the "extra" for insurance, just in case.

So I'm left with buying a 2nd hand low mileage, very late year, Raven Ludo ... in my colour ... etc. Wish me luck with that! Or a LHD Plaid (not yet persuaded myself on that, so that's not looking hopeful ...). Maybe the easier option would be to move to the continent 🤓

Still looking.
MS Raven ludicrous with the long range plus battery here, with:
- efficiency and 400 miles range in summer - only charge overnight on trips
- comfy supportive seats, well-controlled adaptive suspension and quiet interior for the commute and trips
- 800l space and a long hatchback
-front seats raised makes for comfortable 3 adults in the rear.
-classy, elegant saloon looks
-besides Plaid, still the hardest hit off the line.

It does’t have, and I don’t need:
-useless “luxury” baubles
-250+kw charging - I have the range.
- high-speed acceleration and track performance - have fun track and performance alternatives.
Lotus Eletre any good for you? I enjoyed the test drive I had and the golf clubs/trolley went in (that may not be important to you!).

There seems to be a lot of anger popping up here. Sad to see. I have a lot of gratitude for the fact the Model 3 exists (I can't think of another car I could replace it with). I love my M3P and it's really the worst one. 2019 with the smallest battery, no heat pump for efficiency like the 2021 model and no air conditioned seats/extra sound deadening from the 2023 model.

I drive the car 500 miles almost every weekend to see my daughter. I've done the journey in many other cars (BMW, Porsche, Volvo & Toyota) and the Tesla is my favourite place to sit by a country mile. It melts away the miles with the light open cabin, comfy seats and great surround sound stereo. It costs me less than half any other EV due to the Tesla charging network in the UK, returns good mi/kw and charges faster than I've ever managed at a non Tesla charger yet.

Yet the best thing about it is its flexibility. With only software they've managed to make a car with two totally different characters. Admittedly, I've fitted track pads and good fluid, but in track mode the car has Porsche like brake feel, lovely and heavy yet strong when you lean on it. I set the regen to 100%, traction to -10 and power to 85% RWD. The car is an absolute giggle to drive. Sure, my old 911 and current GR86 are better but those are the best cars I can name on track. The Tesla even by those measures is genuinely fun to drive on track and surprisingly competent. When I saw a new BMW M5 Comp coming up behind me on my cool down lap I couldn't help floor it and he didn't gain an inch until I backed off again half a lap later. He was trying so hard he went off the circuit immediately after I let him past.

I'm totally sold on the Model 3. Perhaps my only pet hate with the car are the auto headlights. I wish you could manually override to hold main beam

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of anger popping up here. Sad to see. I have a lot of gratitude for the fact the Model 3 exists (I can't think of another car I could replace it with). I love my M3P and it's really the worst one. 2019 with the smallest battery, no heat pump for efficiency like the 2021 model and no air conditioned seats/extra sound deadening from the 2023 model.

I drive the car 500 miles almost every weekend to see my daughter. I've done the journey in many other cars (BMW, Porsche, Volvo & Toyota) and the Tesla is my favourite place to sit by a country mile. It melts away the miles with the light open cabin, comfy seats and great surround sound stereo. It costs me less than half any other EV due to the Tesla charging network in the UK, returns good mi/kw and charges faster than I've ever managed at a non Tesla charger yet.

Yet the best thing about it is its flexibility. With only software they've managed to make a car with two totally different characters. Admittedly, I've fitted track pads and good fluid, but in track mode the car has Porsche like brake feel, lovely and heavy yet strong when you lean on it. I set the regen to 100%, traction to -10 and power to 85% RWD. The car is an absolute giggle to drive. Sure, my old 911 and current GR86 are better but those are the best cars I can name on track. The Tesla even by those measures is genuinely fun to drive on track and surprisingly competent. When I saw a new BMW M5 Comp coming up behind me on my cool down lap I couldn't help floor it and he didn't gain an inch until I backed off again half a lap later. He was trying so hard he went off the circuit immediately after I let him past.

I'm totally sold on the Model 3. Perhaps my only pet hate with the car are the auto headlights. I wish you could manually override to hold main beam
I agree, it’s like two cars in one
Running my MYP in sport and track modes it’s. Beast
Or for the everyday driving with great range , chill mode

not sure what it adds vs the MS apart from the nicer interior.

I've read the posts here for those considering the Lotus. I wonder what the downside is ... will the software etc. be Good Enough?

I had a couple, back when Colin Chapman had got to an age where squeezing himself into an Elan or a Europa (let alone the 7 - had one of those too) was no fun and created the Esprit etc.. I had a 2.2 which treated wishbones as consumables and had to be replaced ever 10K (but held the road like a leech with vertigo), and followed that with a Turbo which was undrivable in the dry, let alone the wet. I spun it on a beautiful, dry, mid summer's day in central London pulling away from the lights - much to the amusement of the people on the pavement who I assume were saying "Look at that *** in Daddy's car" - I wasn't hooning about, just didn't have the 200% concentration that I normally reserved for driving it, and when the turbo cut in it caught me out.

I saw a 3-year-ownership review of a VW ID3 by BatteryLife. He's different to Bjorn, but entertaining too.

Summary:

After 3 years ownership:

APP development poor - promised feature of lock / unlock windows / horn / lights etc. still not available but can, now, see if car is locked – for first 2 years even that feature was not available

Can see Car location – provided it is not moving

Software updates OTA promised. Actuality – in 3 years only 2 OTA updates, neither easy, lots of cars had problems installing, rollout period was very long, many had to visit service centre for manual install

He says that with Tesla you can launch an OTA install from phone, whilst the car is parked in garage, and in 30 minutes its done

His VW version 2.3 update took 8 hours to install, no info on downloading progress etc.

Promised features still missing : e.g. Park assist – which has always been available on VW ICE!! 18 months later VW have added additional sensors to (new) cars for Park assist and lane change, and are now saying that won't be available for the older cars.

Still cannot use Phone as Key

New ID with v4 software will offer battery pre-condition when Nav to a charger. VW has announced that older version VW IDs will not get that – have to buy a new model, with new hardware.

He didn't say anything about VW removing stalks ...

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
I saw a 3-year-ownership review of a VW ID3 by BatteryLife. He's different to Bjorn, but entertaining too.

Summary:

After 3 years ownership:

APP development poor - promised feature of lock / unlock windows / horn / lights etc. still not available but can, now, see if car is locked – for first 2 years even that feature was not available

Can see Car location – provided it is not moving

Software updates OTA promised. Actuality – in 3 years only 2 OTA updates, neither easy, lots of cars had problems installing, rollout period was very long, many had to visit service centre for manual install

He says that with Tesla you can launch an OTA install from phone, whilst the car is parked in garage, and in 30 minutes its done

His VW version 2.3 update took 8 hours to install, no info on downloading progress etc.

Promised features still missing : e.g. Park assist – which has always been available on VW ICE!! 18 months later VW have added additional sensors to (new) cars for Park assist and lane change, and are now saying that won't be available for the older cars.

Still cannot use Phone as Key

New ID with v4 software will offer battery pre-condition when Nav to a charger. VW has announced that older version VW IDs will not get that – have to buy a new model, with new hardware.

He didn't say anything about VW removing stalks ...
He also did a what VW got right video, this one is the what they did wrong only.

The churn of new features is fairly similar to what Tesla do, the software not so much lol!

Reactions: WannabeOwner
It won't surprise anyone that VW completely dropped the ball with the ID range of cars. Even VW acknowledge how badly they've done.
I had an ID.3 before my M3 and really liked it. I missed out on the clown show that was the first 6 months of chaos with the software, and since I used Android Auto it didn't really impact me too much.

My review would be fairly similar, very comfortable, performance hit my 7.5secs to 60 so fine.

Downside for me would be winter range, I had the 58kWh so winter meabt 150 miles.

Bit more battery and a well implemented heat pump would make the difference IMO.

Interior was fine, screen could do with being a bit bigger. Haptics on the heating control made no difference to me as I never changed them, app stuff, didn't care as pre conditioning the cabin worked and that's all I use even now.

Keyfob is good, can unlock the charge port from that so no messing with the app on the way out of the house.

Seats on mine weren't suited to me, same as the M3 no adjustable swab, M3 is more squishy so works better for me, later version has that.

Stereo was terrible, not sure if there is a premium option even now.

Would consider the ID.3 with the new motor coming next year, maybe with the 77kWh battery.

Reactions: WannabeOwner