Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA APP FOR PC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep getting auth failed on the Powerwall Companion App - while using the same auth credentials as I did on my tesla official app... thoughts?
Am not the developer of Powerwall companion, but tesla made a change to the API several months ago which broke how authentication worked. I suspect thats the issue you are having.
PM me for an alternative as I'm not a vendor and can't promote my own application which is ironic considering its not for profit.

I am the developer of Powerwall Companion. The issue where a minority of people couldn't sign in had plagued me for a while since I couldn't ever reproduce it, but I think I've finally resolved this in the latest version (2.1.0.0). I've also provided a new option for the app to pull the data from the gateway on your local network if you don't want to use your Tesla credentials, although when using this option the app is a bit more limited.

@ssq could you please try the latest version of the app and let me know if it's working for you now?

• Helpful
Reactions: PBBear and tjka4231
I'm really enjoying having this app on my desktop......

48495720996_58f97e06f5_b.jpg

Not true. I am the author and I'm maintaining the app. Some people were having login problems for a while but they should be addressed now.

If you are experiencing any issues with the app now please let be know.

Ausmeerkat,

Wish I could take back the post, your right it is fixed, but was broken for me logging in about 2 weeks ago.

GREAT JOB...

I am the developer of Powerwall Companion. The issue where a minority of people couldn't sign in had plagued me for a while since I couldn't ever reproduce it, but I think I've finally resolved this in the latest version (2.1.0.0). I've also provided a new option for the app to pull the data from the gateway on your local network if you don't want to use your Tesla credentials, although when using this option the app is a bit more limited.

@ssq could you please try the latest version of the app and let me know if it's working for you now?

Ausmeerkat, I'm trying your app and find that when I used the login and password for my Gateway, it works just fine but if I use the IP address that the Gateway is located at on my network, it states 'Connection failed. Please try again'.

Now, when I simply use Chrome and call up that IP address, I get the standard TEG image of the circled yellow solar, gray grid, blue house and rectangular Powerwall with percentage charged and power flow values. The exact same IP address is being used in the Powerwall Companion when I get the error. The value I'm using is simply 192.168.1.34 - just as I do for the Chrome screen with the TEG info.

Any ideas here?

Ausmeerkat, I'm trying your app and find that when I used the login and password for my Gateway, it works just fine but if I use the IP address that the Gateway is located at on my network, it states 'Connection failed. Please try again'.

Now, when I simply use Chrome and call up that IP address, I get the standard TEG image of the circled yellow solar, gray grid, blue house and rectangular Powerwall with percentage charged and power flow values. The exact same IP address is being used in the Powerwall Companion when I get the error. The value I'm using is simply 192.168.1.34 - just as I do for the Chrome screen with the TEG info.

Any ideas here?
obligatory not the developer, but the tesla credentials are authenticated against tesla servers, and the API schema is owner-api.teslamotors.com

when using the local credentials the API becomes 192.168.xx.xx/api/meters

Its possible the application has not been coded to account for this difference.

obligatory not the developer, but the tesla credentials are authenticated against tesla servers, and the API schema is owner-api.teslamotors.com

when using the local credentials the API becomes 192.168.xx.xx/api/meters

Its possible the application has not been coded to account for this difference.

Hey Will. Tony here. I just tried the 192.168.1.34/api/meters as the Gateway IP per your post and it didn't work either. But thanks for the suggestion. Hope all is well for you out there.

The local "API" is completely different as it's just the API that the setup wizard uses. The remote API is the one used by the Tesla mobile app. The two are not compatible with each other. An application needs to be coded to use each one.

Edit to add: if the app supports talking to the local API, the credentials to use for the local API are the ones set up on the Powerwall Gateway directly, not your Tesla account credentials.

The local "API" is completely different as it's just the API that the setup wizard uses. The remote API is the one used by the Tesla mobile app. The two are not compatible with each other. An application needs to be coded to use each one.

The local API has MUCH more information available to it than the remote API that the mobile app uses. And can control the Gateway if you wish. My issue is that Powerwall Companion does offer the option to use either the local or remote API but when I plug in the correct IP address the Gateway is located on my router, the software doesn't find the Gateway.

I'm wondering if I have given the IP address as the software requires but there is no documentation I can find that states what format it wants it in....

Edit to add: if the app supports talking to the local API, the credentials to use for the local API are the ones set up on the Powerwall Gateway directly, not your Tesla account credentials.

So yes the two APIs are completely different, but the app has been coded to use both of them. Currently when using the local API you actually get less data than when using the Tesla cloud API, although possibly I can get more data with some more effort.

For the Local Gateway option you are just supposed to enter your IP address with no other info, e.g. 192.168.1.34. I'm not sure why that didn't work, but since I'm an independent developer I only have access to my own Powerwall, so it's possible I'm making assumptions that don't work for other people's setups that I can't test for. I'll take a look at the code and see if I can find anything wrong and/or add more detailed diagnostic info.

It doesn't work on my network either. Let me know if you publish the code and I can take a look. Diagnostics would probably help too. The connection definitely should succeed, so it's probably something else that's failing (maybe the TLS handshake - how are you dealing with the self-signed certificate?).

It doesn't work on my network either. Let me know if you publish the code and I can take a look. Diagnostics would probably help too. The connection definitely should succeed, so it's probably something else that's failing (maybe the TLS handshake - how are you dealing with the self-signed certificate?).

OK, published at tomhollander/PowerwallCompanion. I did tell the API to ignore the self-signed cert and it works with my gateway, but I'd welcome any info to help get it working for others. It should open in Visual Studio 2019 Community if you have the UWP tools installed.

OK, published at tomhollander/PowerwallCompanion. I did tell the API to ignore the self-signed cert and it works with my gateway, but I'd welcome any info to help get it working for others. It should open in Visual Studio 2019 Community if you have the UWP tools installed.
Well, I tried to get the app running in the debugger and after installing gigabytes of dev environment discovered I can't run it because I don't have the latest feature update for Windows 10 installed. The reason I don't have it installed is because it hangs at 79% and I haven't been able to figure out what the incompatibility is. I'm afraid I won't be able to help in the short term. Is there any possibility it is the Windows version is causing the issue?