Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app recommending charge level now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, happened with last week's software update. It's better than the traditional approach of forcefully removing range, but nonetheless they are effectively removing range with this change since people generally follow the manufacturer's use and maintenance recommendations.

1692401033802.png

Attachments

• IMG-0599.PNG
    IMG-0599.PNG
    501.7 KB · Views: 70
I would agree they didnt do it for fun. My thought is that its more likely they are protecting themselves from people who regularly charge to 100% with non LFP batteries, like people who are using the car as an uber / taxi etc, and charging to 100% all the time because "there is a battery degradation warranty so might as well".
However, the taxi / rideshare drivers (and those on road trips) are likely to use up some of the charge relatively soon, so the battery does not stay at 100% for very long under their use patterns.

Yeah, happened with last week's software update. It's better than the traditional approach of forcefully removing range, but nonetheless they are effectively removing range with this change since people generally follow the manufacturer's use and maintenance recommendations.

No, they aren't removing range. You can up it to above 80% any time you like.

Since batteries degrade, and especially given Tesla not having a big top buffer to hide it, you can't use full range for daily driving anyway.

I generally defer updates to my car. My friends mentioned their cars had 80% and it wasn't until I updated did my app start saying 80% was the new recommended charge. The new 80% recommendation is tied to the most recent software update.

Technically lithium batteries, like the ones in your cell phones, degrade less if you only charge them up to 80% instead of 100%. I was a bit surprised 90% was the recommendation from Tesla for a while.

I generally defer updates to my car. My friends mentioned their cars had 80% and it wasn't until I updated did my app start saying 80% was the new recommended charge. The new 80% recommendation is tied to the most recent software update.

Technically lithium batteries, like the ones in your cell phones, degrade less if you only charge them up to 80% instead of 100%. I was a bit surprised 90% was the recommendation from Tesla for a while.
Be careful doing that. In the warranty fine print it says you need to do updates to stay under warranty.

Low-mileage 2022 M3P (see signature) and mine also displays the 80% recommendation instead of 90%.

I rarely charge above 50% except when taking a trip like I did two weeks ago. Charged to 96% early in the morning, drove 265 miles that day before hitting the SC where I charged to 90% for the return home. (~40 minutes from 6% to 90%, $29.40 for the electrons.)

I rarely charge less than 90% because it's only a "performance" model when the battery is in the 90's. By 89% it's just a peppy grocery-getter.
I think you're good down to about 75%... bigger losses after that.
Tesla-Model-3-P3D-SOC-Dyno-Test.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056