Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla - Apple Watch support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regoapps - I want this app so bad that I keep coming back to this thread hoping you will have posted that it is now 'live" in the Apple Store. Please accept my thanks for creating this app even though you knew that it would not be a source of income for you. Your contribution to the community of Tesla owners is so cool. It will be worth every penny of the $10, and I can't wait to have it loaded on my Apple Watch! Thank you!

Wow that sucks. Assume Apple will take care of it under accidental damage under AppleCare, or at a bigger but still "reasonable" charge without AppleCare soon as they get enough parts built to repair.

Yes $79 with Apple Care. 3-5 day turn-around I was told, will be interesting to see if they can actually repair it that quickly or just replace it. The touch was unresponsive as well, not like an iPhone with a cracked screen that is somewhat useable.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you get this covered by your credit card, assuming that you bought it with a premium credit card?

Hadnt thought of that!

$10 may be a bit too steep in the long run, as Tesla will very likely add Apple Watch support in the near future.

Sure, your app can still do well if you offer a superior experience, but odds are you'll struggle to gain a lot of traction at that price point. I know it seems crazy, as $10 is pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things, but app buyers are incredibly cheap.

$10 may be a bit too steep in the long run, as Tesla will very likely add Apple Watch support in the near future.

Sure, your app can still do well if you offer a superior experience, but odds are you'll struggle to gain a lot of traction at that price point. I know it seems crazy, as $10 is pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things, but app buyers are incredibly cheap.

$10 is "nickels in the couch" for the vast majority of us. I personally appreciate all the work put into creating this app, especially considering how functional and convenient it is. I would probably consider myself one of those "cheap" app buyers who usually looks for the "freebies," but I also am someone who has no problem spending money for something extraordinary and worthwhile, as evidenced by my Model S. This app more than fits that bill. My only question is, when can I get my hands on it?? It's well worth the measly ten bucks. With tens of thousands of Teslas on the road, and a likely significant percentage of those owners who will spend big bucks for an Apple Watch, I think there'll be plenty of demand, and a fair profit for the developer, Allen Wong. Thanks Allen, and please post to this forum when the app is available!

Sure, your app can still do well if you offer a superior experience
If the demand for the app is great enough, I'll keep adding more requested features. In the current app, I already have features in my current version of Remote S app that the official app doesn't have. Off the top of my head, they are:

1. Breadcrumbs (leaves a trail on the map of where the car has been every 10 seconds - can be turned off at any time and only works while the app is running).
2. Password-less engine start (allows you to start the engine without a password. The Watch is already pretty secure in knowing that you're the owner, so I don't think a password is necessary. This feature can be turned off, though. In the main app, TouchID can be used instead of manually entering the password if preferred.)
3. Estimated range displayed (the app takes the 30 mi projected range and tells you that in the app. Without my app, you'd have to go to your car and look at the 30 mi energy tab for this information.)
4. Display of all 3 ranges (estimated, ideal, rated) without having to change settings in your car (I always get annoyed that I have to change the setting in my car).
5. Display of Odometer (not only do I give you an odometer readout, I give you the most accurate reading that the car can give. So even if you move an inch, the odometer in the app will know. I think the odometer in the app is accurate up to 1/1,000,000th of a mile or 1.61 mm or 0.064 inches.)
6. Independent control over driver and passenger temperature zone settings (in the official app, it sets both to the same temperature even if you don't have Sync Temp turned on).
7. Full panoramic roof control (the app lets you set the roof to any percent instead of only vent/close roof that the official app has)

Some features I'm thinking about adding in future version if enough people buy my app:
1. Scheduled timing of HVAC and temperature settings (smart pre-conditioning already takes care of this, so I left this out of the first version).
2. History/Max speed Tracker (good to keep track of the valet/other drivers without having you keep track of the valet/other drivers. Turn this on and it will keep track of the history of speed readouts and let you know the fastest speed recorded.)
3. Quarter mile/acceleration tracker (tracks your stats when you step on the gas for fun.)
I also have a few other ideas that I don't want to share yet. But the official app can be improved. I just can't justify spending more time on this app and not working on my other more profitable projects if nobody gets my app.

$10 is "nickels in the couch" for the vast majority of us. I personally appreciate all the work put into creating this app, especially considering how functional and convenient it is. I would probably consider myself one of those "cheap" app buyers who usually looks for the "freebies," but I also am someone who has no problem spending money for something extraordinary and worthwhile, as evidenced by my Model S. This app more than fits that bill. My only question is, when can I get my hands on it?? It's well worth the measly ten bucks. With tens of thousands of Teslas on the road, and a likely significant percentage of those owners who will spend big bucks for an Apple Watch, I think there'll be plenty of demand, and a fair profit for the developer, Allen Wong. Thanks Allen, and please post to this forum when the app is available!

Thanks. I'll post the link here as soon as Apple tells me that it's ready for sale.

Scheduled timing of HVAC and temperature settings (smart pre-conditioning already takes care of this, so I left this out of the first version).

I have a very irregular schedule, so it would be difficult for the pre-contitioning to learn. Do you know if it currently takes into account the calendar? I'd love a feature that (1) reads my calendar and notes if I have an upcoming event in a location specified that isn't "Home" (and I'm currently on my home wi-fi) or blank and (2) I'm plugged into the wall charger.

If these conditions are true, 60 minutes before the event, it queries the car's temperature. If there's a difference between the current temperature and my preferred temperature, it will intelligently precondition the car at the appropriate time. The larger the differential, the sooner the HVAC is activated to ensure the temperature gets to my preset level. I see this as being very helpful on hot summer days and cold winter days, where even in the garage there can be wide temperature swings.

Along these lines, what about a "returning to car" button? When you're away from home (off your home's wifi and not charging), this button appears in a prominent location. You can hit a quick button to automatically precondition the car. So, say, you're leaving a meeting or paying your restaurant bill.... this button is available and gets your car to a comfortable level. Currently, you have to open the app, swipe or click on climate, wait for the car to connect, and turn it on. I'd love to just raise my arm, do a swipe and a button push and just forget about it. 5-10 minutes later the car is warmed/cooled.

On a more experimental level, I'm not sure about battery life or GPS accuracy, but maybe it happens automatically as an option: You know the car's GPS. You know the watch's location. When you see the user's location is moving toward the car, within a certain range of the car, it preconditions?

Finally, one other quirk you might be able to solve using the "password-less engine start" and "unlock" features. I often run into a store while my wife and kids are in the car. This turns off the car and, if I don't leave the keyfob, the alarm goes off if they try to exit. I know I can leave the fob and "half-close" the driver door to keep everything on. But maybe a function/button to keep the car running (or turn it on) when you exit for situations like this?

Looking forward to seeing the app in the store!

- - - Updated - - -

I also have a few other ideas that I don't want to share yet. But the official app can be improved. I just can't justify spending more time on this app and not working on my other more profitable projects if nobody gets my app.

How about integrating with a Dark Sky's API (The Dark Sky Forecast API) to automatically close the Panoramic Roof if rain is notified for the GPS location?

I have a very irregular schedule, so it would be difficult for the pre-contitioning to learn. Do you know if it currently takes into account the calendar? I'd love a feature that (1) reads my calendar and notes if I have an upcoming event in a location specified that isn't "Home" (and I'm currently on my home wi-fi) or blank and (2) I'm plugged into the wall charger.

If these conditions are true, 60 minutes before the event, it queries the car's temperature. If there's a difference between the current temperature and my preferred temperature, it will intelligently precondition the car at the appropriate time. The larger the differential, the sooner the HVAC is activated to ensure the temperature gets to my preset level. I see this as being very helpful on hot summer days and cold winter days, where even in the garage there can be wide temperature swings.

Along these lines, what about a "returning to car" button? When you're away from home (off your home's wifi and not charging), this button appears in a prominent location. You can hit a quick button to automatically precondition the car. So, say, you're leaving a meeting or paying your restaurant bill.... this button is available and gets your car to a comfortable level. Currently, you have to open the app, swipe or click on climate, wait for the car to connect, and turn it on. I'd love to just raise my arm, do a swipe and a button push and just forget about it. 5-10 minutes later the car is warmed/cooled.

On a more experimental level, I'm not sure about battery life or GPS accuracy, but maybe it happens automatically as an option: You know the car's GPS. You know the watch's location. When you see the user's location is moving toward the car, within a certain range of the car, it preconditions?

Finally, one other quirk you might be able to solve using the "password-less engine start" and "unlock" features. I often run into a store while my wife and kids are in the car. This turns off the car and, if I don't leave the keyfob, the alarm goes off if they try to exit. I know I can leave the fob and "half-close" the driver door to keep everything on. But maybe a function/button to keep the car running (or turn it on) when you exit for situations like this?

Looking forward to seeing the app in the store!

- - - Updated - - -

How about integrating with a Dark Sky's API (The Dark Sky Forecast API) to automatically close the Panoramic Roof if rain is notified for the GPS location?

All pretty good ideas. If there really is a high demand for this app, then I'll add some of those features. In regards to the "returning to car" button, you might like my main app. I unified all the screens into one screen, so that there's no swiping necessary. All the commands and stats are visible on the first screen. So you can just issue the command to turn on the HVAC without first connecting to the car. If the HVAC button is used a lot by people, I can put that in the first screen of the watch app to make it easy for people to get to. Currently it's listed under the HVAC screen (3rd screen).

So the first screen commands are:
Honk Horn
HVAC (on/off)
Unlock/Lock
Start Car

Are these the four most common buttons that people want for quick access?

Another nice feature would be to send you a notification if it is 10:00pm, or whatever, and your car is not plugged in. This helps you if you forget to plug in the car - like I did last night. There could be variations on this type of warning - like if your car is at home and not plugged in after 5 minutes.