Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla AU site cheap model S inventories 7 x 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plugging it in every night is the recommended way to minimise degredation. You set it to a max daily limit of say 75-80 and it will only top up to that limit. The car will then often use wall power instead of the battery to power the mcu and climate controls. A battery will degrade relative to the number of cycles it gets plus an accelerated degradation factor based on how high you set your daily charge, how low you typically get to reach day and how frequently you fast charge.

100 lots of 1% charges from say 74% to 75% have much less of an impact than a single charge from 0-100% especially if that was at a super charger.
The tesla battery warranty is not affected regardless of how you treat your battery

Bit off topic but does plugging it in every night despite not being depleted reduce battery longevity at all?

ie. plugging in every day if there's still 60% battery left?
Plug it in as you please. Dont charge above 90% unless you need the range, and if you do set the timer so its not sitting at 100% for too long. Elon has recently reinforced this, and your car will remind you of you go over 90%. You will initially plug it in all the time to calm your range anxiety, but once you work out that range anxiety is all made up, you’ll relax the plugging in a bit. So much better than a petrol station, and takes less of my time to ‘refuel’

The tesla battery warranty is not affected regardless of how you treat your battery
Sure, I didn't say it was. But the Tesla warranty doesn't cover what they class as normal degredation, and normal varies by usage.

So unless you are happy with 80% of your range or the battery failing not long after the 8 years runs out I'd strongly recommend adopting good battery habits.

Also, while I'm hardly a Doomsday caller, most of us bought our cars with an understanding that the risk of Tesla not being around to honour the warranty is not 0!

Sure, I didn't say it was. But the Tesla warranty doesn't cover what they class as normal degredation, and normal varies by usage.

So unless you are happy with 80% of your range or the battery failing not long after the 8 years runs out I'd strongly recommend adopting good battery habits.

Also, while I'm hardly a Doomsday caller, most of us bought our cars with an understanding that the risk of Tesla not being around to honour the warranty is not 0!
I think the oldest model s’s in australia are now around 5 years old. Would be good to hear if the earliest adopters have lost any range, and what their charging habits are.
My model s reached 3 years when I replaced it (so not the oldest in australia) I kept it charged between 40 & 85%, and charged on sunny days at 17 amps off the excess solar, often a week apart. I never charged at night, and still dont. I figure the car doesnt know the time of day. We had no supercharger in Adelaide so it never recieved a fast charge in first 2.5 years. I charged to 100% maybe twice. I had zero range reduction.

How many km did you do? Milage an analogous number to cycles is the biggest factor.

Most USA owners are reporting about 5%-8% loss in 50,000 to 100,000 miles. There was one 90kwh pack that had worse results than others.

Someone was kind enough to create this for us!

Tesla Battery Survey

Flick through the tabs at the bottom to get to the charts.

As you can see there are outliers above and below the trends. It might be fair to say luck is a large factor but usage would contribute to which side of that line you fall too.

I'm 103,000 in 2.7 years, 75D battery.
Range dropped 379 to 372kms, 1.8%.
Plenty of long road trips with DC charging.
Great, and I hope I get similar, but based on the numbers reported in those charts while you are not unique you are definitely one of only a few an outliers. Most people have lost 6% by then.

How often did you charge to 100%? In fact, can you explain for us all your charging habits?

Great, and I hope I get similar, but based on the numbers reported in those charts while you are not unique you are definitely one of only a few an outliers. Most people have lost 6% by then.

How often did you charge to 100%? In fact, can you explain for us all your charging habits?
I usually plug in when I'm down to about 50%, and charge to 90%. End up plugging in about twice a week. Car in garage now at 66%, not charging.
I could go let it go to lower %, but performance is better at higher %, and I like performance.
I do long road trips about once a month (Syd-Mel, Syd-Canberra or rural NSW via Bathurst) with plenty of supercharging.
Charge to 100% before any road trip, try to finish the charge within a few hours of departure. If at a motel with destination charging will charge to 90%, then when wake up finish the charge to 100%.

Reactions: Tension
An original Model S 85 delivered 29 Dec 2014, so not many older than mine in Australia.
Charge to 90% about 2 to 3 times a week and about to cross 100,000Km very soon.
Car currently charges to 419Km rated range at 90% which is about 15Km less than when new.
So in the general scheme of things not much range loss at all.