Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I got a refund on my EAP for about 150$
Note that back in 2016 you had AP as a $2500 option but then they introduced AP2.0 and "forced" people to EAP (5k) ...

If I follow the thread even EAP owners should be able to bet upgrade to HW3...but since now EAP is no longer offered it will be hard to prove that.

Features in EAP that worked on HW2 and above got moved to FSD, but all the way along they worked on the existing hardware. So you would still need to buy FSD anyway to get HW3!

You have way more stuff going on in city streets etc.

Features in EAP that worked on HW2 and above got moved to FSD, but all the way along they worked on the existing hardware. So you would still need to buy FSD anyway to get HW3!

You have way more stuff going on in city streets etc.
So you are saying that EAP is fully functional on HW2 and will never need to be fully delivered as promised?
And the only reason for HW3 is to read stop signs and drive in the streets.

I am still waiting for speed signs on highways to be read correctly (an AP1 functionality)

EAP doesn't do on-ramp to off-ramp exchanges currently.

Really so that's a bit worrying that they don't do on/off ramp on HW2 but do it on HW2.5???

I might have been referring to AP2.X so maybe 2.5 has a case too. I know NOA still needs a lot of work; or are we not going to get updates?

AP1 has gotten updates for a long time I've heard, and you have ~200k Model 3 owners that would get pissed if they didn't. After what I've read, NoA is kind of a gimmick that doesn't work well.

They don't do it at all regardless of HW version.
Then HW2 and HW2.5 people (Model 3 owners) could get pissed off. And as you might have seen, Model 3 owners can get loud. :)

The actual AP1 firmware did not change since 2016. Some outside stuff changed that give appearances of actual AP1 improvements (because different maps are used and in different ways), but that's about it.

Ah ok, I meant software updates using it, and I have understood i'ts a "black box".

There are so many posts in this thread, I thought I'd chime in with my $0.02 as well.

When I and many paid $8k for EAP+FSD (I paid for it on 3 of my 4 AP2 Xes), We were lead to believe that any hardware upgrades required for FSD, including Tesla Network, and Coast to Coast Driving, were included, and will be delivered at "some time in the future".

Once HW3 is rolling out, (which is supposedly an easy swapy), I'm sure that Tesla will upgrade our computers, either through a service center or Mobile service. The HW3 computer wouldn't be more than $50-100 worth of parts, and $175 worth of labor considering 1 hour at Tesla Service rates.

So $300 value for $3000 paid early. Why does anyone think that Tesla won't do this? Because they are listening to their service advisor or online support representative? They've been consistently wrong on so many things.

Sensors is another thing, even if there is an upgraded sensor suite, do you really think that the hardware (even with 8 cams, and radar/s), is more than $1000 worth of parts and labor? The cameras are an easy swap out, as the wiring is already in place, (to bring AP2.0 cams in line with 2.5). That's still $1500 value for $3000 paid early.

I'm not worried. I feel like there will be some AP3 news during or after the Y Reveal this Thursday. It'd make no sense to demonstrate, nor ship Model Y with AP2.5. I think they're going to do some sort of "Advanced Summon" or demo the Y driving in Autonomously for the unveil. (Fairly easy to program in a controlled environment)

I'm just patiently waiting for my Early Access Program Invite.

What I meant was, I have no clue where the partitioning is between Tesla and ME code (is ME just a drop in blob with API ?). Since their relationship went sour, how much development ability does Tesla have on that hardware.
the blob has a lot of tunings you can tweak on off even if you lost ability to get updates (something MobilEye said they would still let Tesla have). Things like traffic light detection and so on.

• Informative
Reactions: emmz0r and mongo
yes in terms of safety: Blind Side detection, pedestrian detection, AEB ,....all of which are not options.

Interesting. I have no plans to purchase AP or FSD on the car I just ordered but I’ll be annoyed if I take delivery by end of March and then they switch to HW3 on future cars right after I take delivery. I guess it’s a balance of getting the last remaining bits of tax credit versus waiting for HW3 to begin shipping on production cars.

Interesting. I have no plans to purchase AP or FSD on the car I just ordered but I’ll be annoyed if I take delivery by end of March and then they switch to HW3 on future cars right after I take delivery. I guess it’s a balance of getting the last remaining bits of tax credit versus waiting for HW3 to begin shipping on production cars.

I am guessing this is your first Tesla? Even if that happens you'll get over that pretty quickly. If not and that does happen, it will certainly be your last. All too common for that exact type of situation for us Tesla owners.