Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's implied in the text that says that your car comes with the necessary hardware for FSD.

Where is it implied?

Autopilot

Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.

Option Selected$3,000
$4,000 if added after delivery

Full Self-Driving Capability

• Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Coming later this year:

• Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.
Option Selected$5,000
Requires Autopilot

$7,000 upgrade if added after delivery

The current features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The future use of these features without supervision is dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

Last edited:
The next official HW release would be 3, regardless of the number on internal releases...
As long as people don't get the current HW3, the upgrade path should remain in play.

(unless HW3 is a cost savings on HW2, then Tesla might switch production even if it doesn't do full FSD However, current owners would then want to defer their upgrade and new car/ FSD buyers would need/ get the promise for a bump to HW4 )

The problem is time. What happens to all those people who leased or all the people who bought the car then might end up seeing some form of L3/L4 near the end of the their car's life?

Where is it implied?

Autopilot

Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.

Option Selected$3,000
$4,000 if added after delivery

Full Self-Driving Capability

• Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Coming later this year:

• Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.
Option Selected$5,000
Requires Autopilot

$7,000 upgrade if added after delivery

The current features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The future use of these features without supervision is dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

That order page is selling software features. Software requires hardware. If those features require a certain hardware to work properly, then logically the cars would need the hardware too in order to make the features work. So if I pay for feature X, I am also paying for the hardware to give me feature X. So, yes it's implied.

Besides, that order page is for new customers who are buying a new car that will probably already come with AP3 installed so the hardware upgrade would not apply to them. The page is going to list features. It is not going to mention hardware upgrades that only apply to past customers.

They removed all the text that referred to the "we have the hardware for fsd now in the cars"

The text was on the page the last time I checked. Not sure why the text was removed but it does not change the fact that Tesla has made a commitment to AP2 owners to give them the necessary upgrade in order to deliver the features they paid for.

That order page is selling software features. Software requires hardware. If those features require a certain hardware to work properly, then logically the cars would need the hardware too in order to make the features work. So if I pay for feature X, I am also paying for the hardware to give me feature X. So, yes it's implied.

Besides, that order page is for new customers who are buying a new car that will probably already come with AP3 installed so the hardware upgrade would not apply to them. The page is going to list features. It is not going to mention hardware upgrades that only apply to past customers.

The text was on the page the last time I checked. Not sure why the text was removed but it does not change the fact that Tesla has made a commitment to AP2 owners to give them the necessary upgrade in order to deliver the features they paid for.
Where is the SMH emoji....

The problem is time. What happens to all those people who leased or all the people who bought the car then might end up seeing some form of L3/L4 near the end of the their car's life?

Sure, and I have great empathy for them (part of why I like the idea that FSD follows the owner if you trade in a Tesla for a Tesla). I was specifically speaking to the HW >3 scenario.
HWX will delivered whenever Tesla gets their approach for autonomy working properly on it.

Doesn't necessarily mean it's 3

Stupid question: if the HW3 upgrade is so certain, why don't they add it to the website description of FSD?

The website is for sales, and that kind of detail seems beyond the scope of the website. It would be "confusing."

Clearly Musk has Tweeted this several times. I understand Tesla filed specific paperwork that Musk's Tweets are also official Tesla public announcements. This may have been a mistake in hindsight, but there it is.

Reactions: diplomat33
You know the sources. Musk has tweeted it like 3-4 times now and the AP development team mentioned it during one of the earnings call. It's been referenced on this forum many times.

Bwha ha ha ha ha ha Really?!?!? You typed that with a straight face?

untitled.png

Elon just Tweet confirmed that it would.

Was also stated in conference call:
View attachment 385684
read that carefully. What Elon is confirming is that YES, this was discussed at the webcast.

Read what Fred is asking. IF there's a retrofit program people would get HW3.

So.. it does not confirm hw3 upgrades for all. It's all rather carefully worded to extract money from gullible people now.

New According to my count the free HW3 upgrade for FSD buyers has been confirmed by Elon/Tesla 4 times now including today's tweet.

That's not what confirmed.

FSD gets you free HW3 upgrade

No you don't. This was not promised.

Stupid question: if the HW3 upgrade is so certain, why don't they add it to the website description of FSD?

because it's not certain.

It's implied in the text that says that your car comes with the necessary hardware for FSD.

No it's not.

What is not certain is when HW3 upgrade will be offered.
it's also not certain IF it will be offered at all, there are no solid guarantees of this either.