Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Citing Elon's tweets as a source of facts is rather amusing...

Whereas listening to some third party on a forum with no link to the actual development is somehow a better choice?

The fact that Elon is talking about the rear-facing camera in the 3 being for autonomous ride sharing tells me that this whole thing is about juicing sales and the stock price. I mean, seriously, who believes that these things will ever be robo-taxis? And by "these things" I specifically mean AP2 cars produced since Dec 2016, not some future product.

Hi! Right here. With the clarification that only Model 3s (the car that was released after the Tesla Network announcement) currently have (with HW3) the HW needed (increased redundancy and internal cameras) for public autonomous cab service.

Monocular depth estimation where you can see the entire object and see it in context is one thing. Depth estimation of a vehicle in the side cameras in a nearby lane -- where you may not see the whole vehicle and can see very little context -- is very different.

Well then, it's a good thing the side cameras can see the whole object (or at least enough pavement to determine how far away it is). Note that even a lane splitting motorcycle is fully in view...
From Here's what Tesla Dashcam's side cameras are able to see and record on video
sidecamera.PNG

I know that the current software is incapable of doing this because literally every day during my commute TACC brakes for vehicles in the neighboring lane which are not even making any indication that they might come into my lane and in fact are not particularly close to the lane line.

Current software not doing something does not mean it is not achievable with the current sensing hardware...

I would guess sentry mode is an offshoot of the neighboring vehicle/ pedestrian problem and is being used to refine that detection...

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: tmoz and scottf200
With the clarification that only Model 3s (the car that was released after the Tesla Network announcement) currently have (with HW3) the HW needed (increased redundancy and internal cameras) for public autonomous cab service.

Oh great, I assume then that Tesla will be upgrading everybody to whom they sold a vehicle with the suggestion/promise ("promiggestion"?) of the Tesla Network to a vehicle with the required redundancy, whether a new vehicle or full retrofit? Yeah, didn't think so.

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
Citing Elon's tweets as a source of facts is rather amusing...

The fact that Elon is talking about the rear-facing camera in the 3 being for autonomous ride sharing tells me that this whole thing is about juicing sales and the stock price. I mean, seriously, who believes that these things will ever be robo-taxis? And by "these things" I specifically mean AP2 cars produced since Dec 2016, not some future product.

I was asked for the source in which I referenced Tesla Network details being provided on April 22nd. The fact is, Elon tweeted it, which was the source. Now whether its a smoke and mirrors show, or something else, is still tbd.

I think it is amusing when people indicate this is about juicing sales and the stock price. Yeah, pretty sure Elon/Tesla want to increase both their sales and stock price....isn't that the point of a for profit business?

Oh great, I assume then that Tesla will be upgrading everybody to whom they sold a vehicle with the suggestion/promise ("promiggestion"?) of the Tesla Network to a vehicle with the required redundancy, whether a new vehicle or full retrofit? Yeah, didn't think so.
Oh, did Tesla advertise Tesla Network compatibility on the S and X pages (or even 3)?
Only thing I found was a reference to an announcement in a year regarding it.

Oh, did Tesla advertise Tesla Network compatibility on the S and X pages (or even 3)?

It was specifically mentioned in the order agreement for FSD that using your vehicle for ride sharing other than for friends and family outside of the Tesla Network was prohibited. It also said that details on Tesla Network would be released the following year (at that time, that meant 2017). That's not a specific promise but a whole lot of people took it to mean that when Tesla Network was released their cars -- the ones they were paying good money for and ponying up for the FSD package -- would be able to participate.

I suppose the Tesla Network may eventually exist. But not for those cars, and I would say, not for the cars currently being produced either.

I think it is amusing when people indicate this is about juicing sales and the stock price. Yeah, pretty sure Elon/Tesla want to increase both their sales and stock price....isn't that the point of a for profit business?

It's totally normal for companies to hype future products. The problem with Autopilot is and has always been that they are hyping current products. Specifically, they are hyping future capabilities of current products. And, critically, they are accepting payment for those future capabilities. Now, as of right now the FSD order page has been significantly toned down and is selling very little that isn't already delivered. But the current FSD page is basically the old EAP page, except with even weaker promises overall. And the original FSD page? Not even close. And they accepted payment for that. This was a big mistake, and was very dishonest.

But now, I have no problems with companies hyping future products to investors so long as they are not accepting payment from customers for products that do not exist and may never exist.

Yes for S and X at least the implication was very clear. This is from Design Studio late 2016 but for FSD the text remained the same for years (even Tesla Network referring to ”next year”):

enhanced-autopilot-self-driving-tesla-autopilot-cost.jpg

Yes for S and X at least the implication was very clear. This is from Design Studio late 2016 but for FSD the text remained the same for years (even Tesla Network referring to ”next year”):

enhanced-autopilot-self-driving-tesla-autopilot-cost.jpg
Thanks for that!
To clarify, I think friends and family level will be possible with HW3 upgraded AP2 S/X, they do not need the internal camera. However, for profit/ stranger use, will require Tesla Network qualified vehicles which were not defined back then.
Must have TN && TN undefined -> this car is not guaranteed to be TN compliant.

• Helpful
Reactions: electronblue
I think it’s funny that Elon’s tweet specifically mentioned that “cars being built *today*” have this functionality, when he has explicitly said that cars being built since HW2 (two years ago) had capability for FSD.

So why did he put the asterisks around the word *today* in his tweet? It makes no sense when he could have said “we’ve been building cars with this capability for years” unless, of course, he hasn’t.

That’s one of the frustrating things about Tesla. I love my X, but the company seems to change stories all the time. Be consistent.

I think it’s funny that Elon’s tweet specifically mentioned that “cars being built *today*” have this functionality, when he has explicitly said that cars being built since HW2 (two years ago) had capability for FSD.

So why did he put the asterisks around the word *today* in his tweet? It makes no sense when he could have said “we’ve been building cars with this capability for years” unless, of course, he hasn’t.

That’s one of the frustrating things about Tesla. I love my X, but the company seems to change stories all the time. Be consistent.

I believe the asterisks were there to emphasize this won't require a car built in the future. As in, cars people are driving around today, in the present will be able to do this.

Because it has been a recurring question of whether people should wait for an update before buying the car (when HW2.5 was installed). Now, it is even more the case that the car has the capability (sans upgrade).