Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla backing away from "Phone Key as primary key"

How often does Phone Key work for you?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'm starting to wonder if this is a car issue for some of us, not just a phone issue. i set up a tasker profile to launch the tesla app every 2 minutes if the screen is off, just to see if that would have any effect (i know this will probably tank my phone battery life, i'm fine with that right now in an attempt to figure out WTF is going on)...when we left dodger stadium last night, it worked, but only after i stood there and held the handle in for 10 seconds or so. i thought this may have been a sleep issue, but teslafi said the car was asleep in the garage before we left the house, and that time it worked instantly. so it's not sleep vs awake...

there has to be more in play here. i just don't know what to do at this point other than scrap it and start using the key card exclusively since at least i know that will work 100% of the time...
What's so bad about waiting 10 seconds to open the door? For me that seldom happens, and it would take more time than that to pull out the Tesla card from my wallet and then have to use the card again once I am in the car to get the car to move. In addition, I would need to remember to take the card and put it back in my wallet when I get out of the car. That takes time, too.

Yes, I agree we need a fob that works well consistently, but until there is a fob I would rather stick with my phone.

I am not arguing your point, nor is Tesla or they wouldn't be making a a fob with the phone app not working as well as they had hoped. Still with its limitations, the phone app, even with a wait, is better than the card, IMO.

That's because they made a crappy card.

The card for my lexus is awesome. Works 100% of the time, and never has to leave my wallet.

It does need a battery, but it's credit-card thin and only needs replacing once every couple years for like $3.

That's 10+ year old technology too I'm sure current ones are even better.

Reactions: AustinPowers
That's because they made a crappy card.

The card for my lexus is awesome. Works 100% of the time, and never has to leave my wallet.

It does need a battery, but it's credit-card thin and only needs replacing once every couple years for like $3.

That's 10+ year old technology too I'm sure current ones are even better.
I wouldn't want to use a card for any car, unless I could just leave my wallet with card in my pocket, like I could with a fob. I'm guessing what you are describing is a card fob, if your wallet never needs to come out your pocket.

I wouldn't want to use a card for any car, unless I could just leave my wallet with card in my pocket, like I could with a fob. I'm guessing what you are describing is a card fob, if your wallet never needs to come out your pocket.

It's the size and thickness of a credit card, it stays in my wallet 100% of the time, and the door opens when I touch it. Call it whatever you like it works.

I didn't read all 14 pages of this topic, so I don't know if I responded to it before or not, but if Tesla is changing their mind on phone-as-a-key in favor of a fob, then it proves that I was right all along that Phone-as-a-key SUCKS. Even if the phone key worked 100% of the time, it is still inconvenient to have to take my phone with me 100% of the time. So a fob is the only right answer. And we should get a fob for free, since Tesla used us as beta testers.

And when Phone-as-a-key decides not to work when I come out of the store holding bags and things, I then have to shift all the bags from one hand to the other, which is inconvenient, reach in my pocket, grab the key card, no, not the ATM card, put it back and get the KEY card out, swipe it, then get in the car.

THEN, I almost always have to scan the key card inside the car because the Phone-as-a-key won't start the car. Which is inconvenient. Then once the car is on, I go to twist to one side to put the key card back in my pocket. And if I twist too far and take my ass off the seat too much, the car shuts down! And that's a REAL pain!!! So reach in my pocket AGAIN, and get out the key card AGAIN, and restart the car.

All things which would be avoided with a good fob.

Last edited:
setting Tasker to run the app every 2 minutes doesn't resolve it. still failed on me this evening.

this is pure madness.
You wouldn’t happen to have an extra device that can take video of your BT screen on your phone (not the app) and you in frame walking up to your car and it not working? It is kind of surreal how much it isn’t working for you. I am wondering if it is your car and not your phone at this point. If the BT links show connected but the car still doesn’t open I would say your car is borked and not your phone.

What's so bad about waiting 10 seconds to open the door?
Rain, snow, sleet, hail, dark parking garages, traffic (if parked on a street), screaming/fussy kids, and plenty of others.

... it would take more time than that to pull out the Tesla card from my wallet and then have to use the card again once I am in the car to get the car to move. In addition, I would need to remember to take the card and put it back in my wallet when I get out of the car. That takes time, too.
Unless you have one of those security wallets or it is exceptionally thick you shouldn't need to take the card out of your wallet.

Reactions: SteveD and dusdev
Rain, snow, sleet, hail, dark parking garages, traffic (if parked on a street), screaming/fussy kids, and plenty of others.

Unless you have one of those security wallets or it is exceptionally thick you shouldn't need to take the card out of your wallet.
You still have to take your wallet out of your pocket or purse and return it when you get out of the car. Yes, we need a fob to use instead of the phone App. Still, for all the first times it usually works, I don't mind waiting on the occasional occasions, that the phone app doesn't work immediately. Be patient, I am sure the fob will be coming soon. I am quite sure we won't be charged for it.

Just took delivery last week. As I understand, it's been a common complaint for Android phones. As someone who owns a Galaxy S8, there is a permanent notification that shows if my phone is disconnected or connected to the car. When I get close to it and try to open the door, it's worked so far 100% of the time.

Reactions: SteveD
You still have to take your wallet out of your pocket or purse and return it when you get out of the car. Yes, we need a fob to use instead of the phone App. Still, for all the first times it usually works, I don't mind waiting on the occasional occasions, that the phone app doesn't work immediately. Be patient, I am sure the fob will be coming soon. I am quite sure we won't be charged for it.

For the type of card I described as using on my 10+ year old lexus, no, you do not need to take it out of your wallet. Ever.

well, except to change the battery every couple years I guess.

The only reason the Tesla card doesn't work that way is they chose a battery-free NFC card instead of a change-every-couple-years battery powered RF one.

And much better than something like the model S fob you don't end up with yet another giant thing taking up space in your pants.[/B][/B]

Just took delivery last week. As I understand, it's been a common complaint for Android phones. As someone who owns a Galaxy S8, there is a permanent notification that shows if my phone is disconnected or connected to the car. When I get close to it and try to open the door, it's worked so far 100% of the time.

this was just introduced with the last app update last week some time. the persistent notification has made it slightly better, but it's still wholly unreliable. i'd say it works as it should (which is the door instantly opens when i push the handle, none of this "it's ok to stand around like an idiot and wait for 10-15 seconds nonsense) maybe 3 or 4 out of every 10 attempts for me.

• Disagree
Reactions: Fungible
You wouldn’t happen to have an extra device that can take video of your BT screen on your phone (not the app) and you in frame walking up to your car and it not working? It is kind of surreal how much it isn’t working for you. I am wondering if it is your car and not your phone at this point. If the BT links show connected but the car still doesn’t open I would say your car is borked and not your phone.

i don't really know what good that would do, since it's supposed to work while the phone is in my pocket. i'm not supposed to have to get the phone out. the phone in my pocket with the screen off is likely a whole other set of variables.

i sent an email to the costa mesa SC (advised to do so by tesla executives when i tried to escalate it). they actually suggested calling, which i've tried 3 times and each time had a wait time of over 40 minutes...no thanks. we'll see what happens when they get back to me, i guess.