Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla backing away from "Phone Key as primary key"

How often does Phone Key work for you?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except it isn't a non material nit.
If you don't have a smartphone,
or not the right smartphone,
or the wrong software,
or the wrong settings,
or the wrong situation,
or ....
It has the potential to become an annoyance every single smegging time you want to use your car.
You call that a non material nit? Suit yourself.

Yes, and sometimes it doesn't.
I always have my phone because I’m an addict I guess, lol. I like not carrying a fob. I went to keyless door locks at home. The keycard, the couple of times I’ve played with it, seems reliable and it small. I don’t understand why that option doesn’t work? What’s special about a fob?

In my experience, walk away lock always works, as long as you didn't unlock previously with the key card. If using the key card to unlock, you must also use it to lock.

I can say this doesn't seem to be the case...I unlocked just now at the store with the key card (phone didn't work), and the car locked when I got home and walked in the house (I was still in the garage when the mirrors folded in so I know it did).

I always have my phone because I’m an addict I guess, lol. I like not carrying a fob. I went to keyless door locks at home. The keycard, the couple of times I’ve played with it, seems reliable and it small. I don’t understand why that option doesn’t work? What’s special about a fob?
When you must fall back to using keycard, you must use it to lock the car too and often to start it, it's super inconvenient versus a fob (or the phone when it actually works, which for many of us is not often enough)

Though perhaps they have at least fixed the lock with keycard required after unlock ... even if so it's still super inconvenient.

I can say this doesn't seem to be the case...I unlocked just now at the store with the key card (phone didn't work), and the car locked when I got home and walked in the house (I was still in the garage when the mirrors folded in so I know it did).
Interesting. Maybe they changed that? It used to be the case.

When you must fall back to using keycard, you must use it to lock the car too and often to start it, it's super inconvenient versus a fob (or the phone when it actually works, which for many of us is not often enough)

Though perhaps they have at least fixed the lock with keycard required after unlock ... even if so it's still super inconvenient.

Interesting. Maybe they changed that? It used to be the case.

at this point i'm wondering if when it didn't do the walk away lock the other day, perhaps i didn't put the car in park. maybe i just had it in hold mode after pulling into the spot and forgot to hit the button to put it into park...that could be the reason.

This should not be the case. It should not auto-lock if the key card was used to unlock the car. I've tested it myself and posted in another thread about it. What could have happened is that after you used the key card to unlock and start the car, during your drive home the Bluetooth LE connection was established and the phone took over as the key, which allowed auto-lock to work.

Welp, I have a Pixel XL 2 that has worked flawlessly for phone as a key.

Recently updated to Android P (pie) and now it works maybe 10% of the time... Also apps crash like crazy and can't even open the play store, it just freezes.

So ridiculous. Upgrade your phone, car stops working properly. Big fail. That fob can't arrive soon enough!

Welp, I have a Pixel XL 2 that has worked flawlessly for phone as a key.

Recently updated to Android P (pie) and now it works maybe 10% of the time... Also apps crash like crazy and can't even open the play store, it just freezes.

That's really strange because I experienced the opposite. I upgraded my Pixel 1 to Pie and the phone key has been working better.

I like neither and I canceled as a result. But I believe that many here are asking the company to re-engineer something that should work every time, all the time, and, for a sizable number of owners, does not. Very different. If it works for you every time, all the time, count yourself fortunate.
Robin
Nothing works 100% of the time. What I don't understand is: if you cancelled, why are you still posting on this site?

Nothing works 100% of the time. What I don't understand is: if you cancelled, why are you still posting on this site?
Easy. Because the success of Model 3 is vital to Tesla, and the success of Tesla is vital to the transition away from oil. And I'll find out when fobs become available here before anywhere else.
Speaking of which, the fob for my 2013 Prius V has worked exactly 100% of the time, and has never once left me wondering "Will it?"
Robin

Android phone key issue FIXED! For background, my S7 worked all the time for 1 month. Then stopped working unless I opened the Tesla app, and opened the door within a few min of that. I’m Android v8.0.0. Fix was in Device Maintenance > Battery > Always Sleeping apps. If Tesla is listed, hold till checked, and select Delete. Since then it’s back to working 100% over several days. Hope others might find this helpful. I probably had done something inadvertent to benefit battery performance and had changed settings that caused the app to sleep.

Android phone key issue FIXED! For background, my S7 worked all the time for 1 month. Then stopped working unless I opened the Tesla app, and opened the door within a few min of that. I’m Android v8.0.0. Fix was in Device Maintenance > Battery > Always Sleeping apps. If Tesla is listed, hold till checked, and select Delete. Since then it’s back to working 100% over several days. Hope others might find this helpful. I probably had done something inadvertent to benefit battery performance and had changed settings that caused the app to sleep.

plenty of us have had battery optimization turned off and it still doesn't work. glad that helped for you, but it's not a be all end all fix.