Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla banned me from purchasing another Tesla after vehicle buyback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually I thought of a great follow thru. After your wife, friend, brother, ect. buys the Tesla, have them sell it to you for $1.00. It is totally legal and I know someone who did that. Don't recall the reason, maybe the original owner was going to get sued, bankruptcy, or some reason he wanted to basically give the car to a friend for $1.00, of course the friend payed him the value of the car later.

Beware of the IRS. They may want to tax the windfall.

Could always by a "used" Tesla if you really wanted one. There are many places that have near new Tesla's for sale with minimal mileage. And at a discounted price. Just an option. They Taycan is a cool car, it's a Porsche'. But, obviously more expensive and less practical as your "only" car with the current charging infrastructure and limited range capability of the Taycan. If your Tesla was a second car and you didn't use it for road trips, then the Taycan can be good replacement. If it's your only car and you to travel with it, the Taycan, or any other EV besides Tesla, are still a few years away from have a reliable and practical long distance charging network of high-speed chargers across the country. Plus, so far, of the cars released, none of them come close to the real world range of Tesla. If those cars could use Tesla chargers, then their shorter range wouldn't be an issue as Tesla's superchargers are laid out across the country to satisfy most trips under 150 miles, meaning you can find a charger in 150 miles or less from most places. And they've proven mostly reliable. The charge america and other EV charging providers are still building and learning and there are many reports of failures along the way. When there's only one or two charges within 200 miles and that one goes done, it can put you in a bad way and leave you stranded on your trip. Highly unlikely to happen in a Tesla with the Supercharger network CURRENTLY IN PLACE.

In a couple of years, this won't be an issue. But, two years is still a long time. There are several EV's I'm desperately looking forward to owning, but won't purchase any of them until the EV AMERICA network is fully up and running with multiple chargers at each location.

Actually I thought of a great follow thru. After your wife, friend, brother, ect. buys the Tesla, have them sell it to you for $1.00. It is totally legal and I know someone who did that. Don't recall the reason, maybe the original owner was going to get sued, bankruptcy, or some reason he wanted to basically give the car to a friend for $1.00, of course the friend payed him the value of the car later.
The exact situation you describe is not legal. It’s fraud.

In many states you’ll run afoul of sale tax rules and owe a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy and mspohr
Like others said, don’t know both sides of the story. But I can’t blame Tesla from what it sounds like. Lots of people get 70-80% of “EPA” range and the new car may be the same. All depends on how it’s driven and where.

What is a red flag to me is. OP says he was concerned about efficiency. And what does he buy? A performance !!! Bzzzt hand caught in the cookie jar.

PS> I test drove the Taycan myself. Unfortunately 2 things prevent me from wanting to go that route:
  1. Size - I use my S as the only driver, and from time to time I need to be able to load it with a bunch of stuff
  2. EV driving characteristic - while the car handles around corners amazingly, it has great acceleration (me coming from P85DL), it's not smooth like a Tesla. It just felt "twitchy" all the time, especially when punching the accelerator - when I came back and asked about it, when they reminded be that the car does have the 2 speed transmission. In a Model S, when you punch it, it just goes, like a video game. In a Taycan, the shift just annoyed me to no end, every time I hit the accelerator on the highway. Their hill hold was also very binary, you could hear the brakes slamming ON/OFF, instead of using the motor to make it smooth.
Even though your review is short , it's great feedback on another great EV.

Space would also be an issue for me with a Taycan even though I can't afford to buy one anyway.

What I find strange though is how the Taycan is not as smooth as a Tesla. I just assumed an electric motor applied in any car would just be very smooth, period.

What did you think of the lack of regen (videos I've watched show it does some some adjustable regen, but it's not as great as in a Tesla) and the resulting no concept of one-pedal driving? I cannot imagine buying an EV without that .

Last edited:
Reactions: Potpourri
Thanks for the catch. New images are on this post

Yep, we ended up opting for a Porsche. Just waiting on it to be built. Its fascinating going from the Tesla to the Porsche. The only thing we are going to miss is Autopilot, but to be honest, most manufacturers have come a LONG way in their self-driving and Porsche Innodrive will handle the majority of highway driving, which is the main areas we use Autopilot.
Hmmmmm, in just the first couple of sentences, the document refers to you as a "Valued Tesla Customer", but yet doesn't ever want to do business with you again. That's funny.

Even though your review is short , it's great feedback on another great EV.
What I find strange though is how the Taycan is not as smooth as a Tesla. I just assumed an electric motor applied in any car would just be very smooth, period.

What did you think of the lack of regen (videos I've watched show it does some some adjustable regen, but it's not as great as in a Tesla) and the resulting no concept of one-pedal driving? I cannot imagine buying an EV without that .
I wasn't aware that the Taycan had a two speed transmission. That's a bummer. Shifting gears ruins the smooth performance of electrics. Driving ICE cars that I occasionally rent on trips, the thing that really bothers me now is the gear shifting. Hybrids are even more annoying with the ICE engine starting and stopping.
I guess Porsche made a two speed to get better high speed performance but it really ruins the driving experience. I believe the early Tesla Roadster had a two speed but that was dropped.

I think that description fits the situation here.

What is so unreasonable to have Tesla address the yellow border screen and only got the response that it's not covered under warranty?

Tesla used to replace them for no charge when it was first complained by early adopters. It then just became "unreasonable" for later adopters to demand the very same new car warranty.

What is so unreasonable to have Tesla address the battery degradation concerns? When the owner followed Tesla's advice to eliminate the root cause for the issue by disabling Teslafi.com password, that's when Tesla found that "unreasonable" for thinking that was not the real cause!

I think Tesla was beating around the bush and didn't want to address what the real problems were and owners who insist to find the root causes seem to be punished as warning to the public.

Public companies should have thick skin to deal with scientific issues. There are scientific factors for both of those above issues.

Instead of using scientific answers, using Tesla's legal right to exclude owners from asking scientific questions only discourage problem-solving in technological advances and discoveries.

OP: unfortunate but completely predictable.

When Tesla offered to buy back my original X for WAY over market value and told me to order a new one, I was very concerned that the order would be cancelled. I made sure that I had it stated in writing that I was not going to be banned from ordering a new one or having my new order cancelled. Getting that in writing was not easy. To this day I am afraid to share the details of my story, lest I get stonewalled when I have issues with my new X.

That he tried to get a warranty issue fixed after being stonewalled and help others in the same situation out? I respectfully disagree.
There is obviously a lot more to this case if you read between the lines. Sounds like OP, in addition to taking a case to arbitration, has a number of other complaints and claims, including being unsatisfied with range, etc.

There are two sides to this story, and we’re only getting one.

I can see both sides of this. All the original poster wants is the car he bought, he wants everything to work as it should, no yellow bordered screen and the range he bought. He’s not asking for anything else, just what Tesla sold him.

Tesla sees him as bad for business, spreading information, or possibly misinformation, and trying to force Tesla’s hand when they’ve made a decision. The fact he’s interacting with Tesla’s lawyer doesn’t look like a good sign.

I don’t know if there is middle ground. Mine hasn’t needed service beyond a mirror, but I don’t drive much.

I think if Tesla makes a promise, they should keep their word. If Tesla doesn’t choose to honor their warranty, that’s a problem. I have a yellow bordered screen. It didn’t start off that way. I’ve had a lot of screens in the past, computers, laptops, phones, TVs, etc. and yellowing of the screen border clearly isn’t something that’s normal with screens, so it isn’t expected with my Tesla.

If Tesla chooses to advertise loudly that a car has a certain range, then the car should have that advertised range, at least through the warranty period, or it should be specified that the range is for the new car and then the amount of expected loss should be disclosed. They can’t have it both ways, you can’t make promises then welsh on them, and expect people will continue to trust.

I do love my car. I’m glad I bought it. I got everything I was promised and then some.

Would I buy another if I didn’t trust the word of Tesla? No way. These cars are way too expensive for me to ever take that chance.

I have a long memory. You can lie to me, but only once.

Last edited: