Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla bans Stewart Alsop from buying Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right. No law forcing tesla to sell anyone a car. And no law forcing anyone to buy a tesla. Welcome to the free market where buyers and sellers may engage in mutually beneficial transactions -- Or decide that a transaction is not sufficiently beneficial to them.
What do you think will happen if sufficient quantity of customers decide that the risks of business relationship with Tesla outweighs the benefits?

I can't attest for the accuracy but perhaps these Reddit comments are relevant? (Regarding Paypal)
First Comment
Second Comment

Having read both those comments, it would have been totally cool if someone (possibly EM) making this ban decision could have said because of prior bad dealings, and specifically brought up the point in the second comment (Alsop almost sinking paypal). I think many people would have said "yeah that makes sense -- a possibly difficult customer, and too much hatred to be able to properly handle the business dealings of a customer relationship to risk it, and known poison with that person", even though I'm sure there are people who would say "hire some intermediaries" to make it work out. Not everybody takes that step to hire intermediaries to handle the incompatibilities; everyone chooses their level of work and accomplishment to a degree, and sometimes it's not even worth it to do that business.

I agree mostly with the first comment, though, who said "most people do not know that"; I myself did not know that, and waited patiently for more information, all the while thinking that on the face of this this is so totally non-cool for the future direction of the marketplace of customers they might want. I was mowing a lawn for an hour just now before knowing the above, and this is almost the only thing I thought of the whole time. I think it sits hard on a lot of people's minds. Without the above background information, one is given to thinking at least the stamping out of freedom of expression is being applied consistently society-wide, and hasn't lacked a foothold here. With the above background information, at least it makes real business sense.

What do you think will happen if sufficient quantity of customers decide that the risks of business relationship with Tesla outweighs the benefits?

In a dynamic marketplace, then the marketplace will provide. A portion of that provision will be Tesla changing its potential business relationships in a positive direction in response, and a portion will be entities other than Tesla doing such provision.

The above is just math. Now, the rest is speculative. In a way, it might be a strategic "slowing of performance" to get the rest of the marketplace time to catch up, so the ultimate goals of a clean world are accomplished. I've often considered that one tactic to use in the case of making a company to do things right and getting others to follow. In that tactic, it leaves open the possibility that a niche in the overall market will still be available and pursued by the leading company after their competition is healthy, and the leading company ambitiously and appropriately handles its new customer base in that new niche. Quite possibly a lot of overlap with the old customer base, and maybe not.

In a dynamic marketplace, then the marketplace will provide. A portion of that provision will be Tesla changing its potential business relationships in a positive direction in response, and a portion will be entities other than Tesla doing such provision.
Well, yes. Customers will just buy other brands, thus forcing Tesla into bankruptcy.

Right now Tesla has a customer base with fanboism far surpassing Apple fanboism during Steve Jobs' heyday. Elon Musk can require public whipping for all Model X customers and there still will be a huge queue of people claiming that it's the best thing since the fall of Rome.

However, what do you think other people will think when they realize that their car can be serviced only by a company known to ban people on a whim?

PS: Yes, I was a business owner. Yes, I fired bad customers. No, it had never been for a reason as petty as that blog post and I never did it lightly.

I guess we all have an opinion of how the September 29th event went. My parents taught: When someone gives you something for FREE--say THANK YOU!. Thanks Tesla.

Good parenting.

Perhaps EM should have said 'Sorry for the delay, thank you for your patience?' when he started the customer event more than just a couple minutes late?

In the scheme of things an apology for me as an owner/shareholder was not as important as what the late start was indicative of: just another self imposed timeline (execution) miss.

If I'm invited to a party & I have to sit around for an extra hour or so ... then yes, the host should acknowledge and say sorry.

But it would be even MORE rude of me to choose not to complain directly to the host - but rather to go on facebook or twitter and start a tirade with 'Shame on You For Wasting My Time'. And if I did that, I'd expect never to be invited back. And rightfully so.

Ask yourselves this, do/would you teach your children to apologise in situations like this? I know I do, it's common courtesy and manners and as a role model it's expected. Bottom line is, he should have been respectful to the crowd. Was it an oversight, probably, but surely a follow up on Twitter wasn't beyond him.

However, berating him, and indirectly isn't common courtesy either..

I guess we all have an opinion of how the September 29th event went. My parents taught: When someone gives you something for FREE--say THANK YOU!. Thanks Tesla.

But it really wasn't exactly free. The cost of admission was a deposit of between $5k and $40k for the ability to purchase a six figure vehicle and then only if you happened to get an invite and were able to change plans because of the one week notice. These were not Joe's off the street but arguably the most important people that Tesla needs to satisfy and make happy. i.e. paying customers!

- - - Updated - - -

If I'm invited to a party & I have to sit around for an extra hour or so ... then yes, the host should acknowledge and say sorry.

But it would be even MORE rude of me to choose not to complain directly to the host - but rather to go on facebook or twitter and start a tirade with 'Shame on You For Wasting My Time'. And if I did that, I'd expect never to be invited back. And rightfully so.

And that Bonnie IMO is the scourge of Twitter. Do you think if he had emailed EM he would have gotten a reply? Twitter has destroyed the filter of normal common decency that most people have/had. Look/Listen to me!!! Twitter is basically a cesspool of complaints and narcism. The stuff decent people Tweet because they are somehow emboldened or empowered by these 160 characters is often disgusting and tasteless.