Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Battery and Nickel Allergy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my 2018 Model X about 7 months ago and I've recently developed an acute and worsening skin reaction (eczema) requiring multiple doctor visit.

Does anyone know if there's a possibility while driving a Tesla or sitting in a Tesla while charging can create a skin rash due to a Nickel allergy?

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

It might be possible to have an allergy to something in the seat materials or perhaps mold in the HVAC system, but an allergy related to anything in the batteries is a stretch. My limited experience with a nickle allergy is that it was contact related.

First an actual allergy to nickel should be easy to test for. Second, how would you be exposed to nickel while sitting in the car? Fumes? Would show up in your lungs first? Lots of other more likely possibilities from the car, for example direct contact with the seat material, etc. but why suspect the car to begin with?

My 18 year old gets sinusitis, runny and blocked nose, after a few minutes sitting inside our much loved 2019 Model X. A trip more than an hour becomes unbearable as this can lead to a mild headache also. The symptoms appear to lessen with Bioweapon Defence Mode (the Air Conditioner setting) turned on for about a minute, but this depletes the battery quicker and everyone feels super cold. I have to turn this BDM on every 5 to 10 minutes for about 1 minute, during a long trip.
VERY curious and concerned of this.

Go to an allergist. I suspect the car is not the issue.
Allergist, yes, but I wouldn't discount the car as being the issue. Brand new fabrics in new cars give off a TON of chemicals though outgassing. You know that "New Car Smell"? Uh huh. So probably best thing you can do with that is to leave the windows open most of the time you have it parked at home, so you can get more air circulation through it and wait. Over several months, some of that stuff will decrease.

Reactions: jjrandorin
My 18 year old gets sinusitis, runny and blocked nose, after a few minutes sitting inside our much loved 2019 Model X. A trip more than an hour becomes unbearable as this can lead to a mild headache also. The symptoms appear to lessen with Bioweapon Defence Mode (the Air Conditioner setting) turned on for about a minute, but this depletes the battery quicker and everyone feels super cold. I have to turn this BDM on every 5 to 10 minutes for about 1 minute, during a long trip.
VERY curious and concerned of this.
If Bioweapon Defense Mode improves things (less symptoms) then that proves the allergens are from outside. BDM reduces elements from outside air.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
If Bioweapon Defense Mode improves things (less symptoms) then that proves the allergens are from outside. BDM reduces elements from outside air.

I personally don't think that proves much. Bioweapon defense mode turns the source to external and puts the fan on super high. The effect is that the car is pressurized with air that has come through the HEPA filter. The pressurization will (is supposed to) keep air leaking in from other uncontrolled sources. This is exactly how a semiconductor clean room works.

The end result is that Bio-Weapon mode reduces non-filtered sources of air (reduce crap coming in) AND the increased fan speed pulling in outside air (which escapes through the holes) will cause the air to turn over in the car much more frequently (which would dilute any chemical off gassing from inside the car).

I guess one could drive with the windows down - which would dilute the off gassing but increase the unfiltered air. If that also improves things it would be the dilution of inside contaminants.

Go to an allergist. They make drugs that fix this. Or you know that front door to your house? Uh huh. Don’t go out of the house. Problem solved either way.

Allergist is the right call. The second part, well, I assume that's an attempt at humor.

Unrelated, but I've got an allergy test tomorrow, actually, to try to pinpoint an allergy that's driving me crazy. I can no longer wear earbuds of any variety - I've tried Airpods, Beats, Bose, Sony, heck, even my old Jawbone is setting it off.

So don't discount materials in the X. Could be almost anything. Going to the allergist is the right call. Do a test, get checked, see what sets it off.

Bioweapon defense mode is dumping tons of hepa-filtered outside air into the cabin. If it's improving with it on, you've got recirc on and, if I had to guess just knowing what the likely sources of a problem are, mold growing somewhere

Thanks guys for your posts. I will look to getting an allergy test in the future, sometime.

FYI, I have done the following test… Instead of running the AC at 1 (has less noise & drain on battery, the air flow is also just right for me), I tried using the AC at 4 or 5 setting. The result: more air flow but the air doesn’t feel as “chillingly” cold… symptoms completely resolved during a one hour drive. . . Will post again after our next 10hr+ road trip.

I purchased my 2018 Model X about 7 months ago and I've recently developed an acute and worsening skin reaction (eczema) requiring multiple doctor visit.

Does anyone know if there's a possibility while driving a Tesla or sitting in a Tesla while charging can create a skin rash due to a Nickel allergy?

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
I experienced the same thing when I rented a Tesla for a week after 2-3 days of continuous exposure I started to get hives or eczema all over my body. It’s more than likely a nickel allergy. I’ve always been allergic to tin or some forms of aluminum that flake off; if it touches my hands and my face or eyes I would swell up. I would get rid of the vehicle unfortunately or keep popping Benadryl but that’s only a band aid. Your body is trying to protect itself. For those saying it’s not the car it is the car lol you’re not alone my friend