TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla battery swap: Post announcement discussion

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by dsm363, Jun 20, 2013.

1. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

It sounds to me like the purpose of swappers is more for marketing than for actual use. To speed the transition to EVs among those who are not early adopters, they need to be equal to or better than ICEs in every way. As a practical matter the swappers may get little use as people just choose to wait for a supercharge, but that might not be as important as being able to tell potential buyers the rapid swapping option exists.

2. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts

Yes, that's how I see it.

Larry

3. DrJohnM

DrJohnM Member

Also it gives Tesla 7 ZEV credits instead of 4 credits per car as battery swap satisfies the fast refueling requirements.

4. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Impressive technical solution to a problem which I`m not convinced really exists.
    I wonder if this is more about demonstrating the versatility of the Tesla platform to other manufacturers.
    As EV systems go, Tesla now provides far and away the most complete package. Drivetrain - Chargers/Superchargers - and now Battery Swapping

5. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Depending on location and size, gas stations are $500k+. In the bigger cities in California, gas stations are $1 million easily (land not included). Gas stations on the road trip corridors are probably just as expensive because the land owners know that travelers have no other choice but to fill up so they can charge gas stations owners more because of the guaranteed business. In turn, gas on road trips from SF to LA are 1.25x-1.5x the cost.

6. mgemmell

mgemmell Scottish chap

That's the #1 reason for sure, and why not?

The #2 reason is to silence critics of slow recharging and #3 is marketing.

All that and maybe it will help the vast majority of the World car driving population who don't have a garage at home. :)

All good reasons IMHO.

Is the video up yet?

7. Johan

Johan Funds for M3 secured. Contingent on wife aproval.

They are already getting full ZEV credits for the 85kWh model. The swap concept was demonstrated in 2009, I believe. (With a group of technicians). There are documents published from the state of New Jersey that showed that the 85kWh was classified as getting full credits.

From another thread:

8. mgemmell

mgemmell Scottish chap

9. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

10. mgemmell

mgemmell Scottish chap

11. nikwest

nikwest Member

I think battery swapping would make even more sense if you buy the car without battery and lease the battery. Like Renault does it with their EVs.

12. wraithnot

wraithnot Model 3 VIN #2942 Model S VIN #5785

I think the main purpose of the battery swap technology is for flexibility in the future. If they come out with a 150 kWh battery in the future, this will be a convenient way to borrow one for a road trip or even upgrade if you want. It also makes it possible to sell a base model GenIII car with less than 200 miles of range and still allow it to go on road trips by borrowing a larger battery for the trip and then returning it on the way back.

I suppose it would also shut up all the people that think a 30 minute charging stop on a long road trip would be an extreme inconvenience. But I bet those people would probably tend to choose the free 30 minute charge over the $60-$80 battery swap most of the time if they actually take a Model S on a road trip.

13. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#33 malcolm, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
    Don`t get me wrong, I think the system is brilliantly executed (even though I was hoping for a frunk-based battery).

But you`re right, this is more about silencing critics AND burying Hydrogen.

Plus it does look promising as a Battery Upgrade system.

Imaging driving away from the SwapStation and suddenly noticing that your Ideal Mile rating is up to 400?

14. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Absolutely, this will drive sales because it gives people an option back that they have now. Elon said they were going to measure how popular this is before they roll this out nationwide. By popular I hope he means how much sales it drives rather than how much actual usage of the system there is.

I just wished it was closer to a 10 gallon fillup instead of a 15 gallon one (24mpg equiv instead of 16mpg equiv).

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I would never notice this because I don't use the Ideal range setting ever. In fact, I changed it on the loaner.

16. Bubba

Bubba Banned

i agree. Hydrogen is now officially dead for cars. Even the most diehard hydrogen fans cannot make the case any more after these videos come out.

17. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Okay so it changes your Standard/Rated/BestHighScoreEver.

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Heh. Well met. ;)

19. ken830

ken830 Model S 85, Model 3 Performance

20. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

I wonder what the tolerances are here. Obviously the jig must be able to line up with the bolts with accuracy up to a 1/16". However, you can't possibly drive & stop your car that accurately - even just tire pressure differences will cause a larger misalignment than that, as well as approaching at a slight diagonal.

So I assume the jig must have the ability to move on the X and Y axis a bit as well, as well as having the ability to rotate by a degree or two?